What is RdrCEF.exe Application Error & How to Fix it
- The RdrCEF.exe application error is generally caused by a lack of permissions, issues with the files, or a bug in Adobe Reader.
- To fix it, you can configure the app to run as an administrator, check the permission, or try the other methods here.
- Also, find out how to disable the RdrCEF.exe process.
Application errors are the ones that either crash an app while it’s running or prevent it from opening. Several users reported encountering the RdrCEF.exe application error accompanied by the message, The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000001), on Adobe Acrobat Reader.
But, even when the app runs just fine for you, there could be several errors in the background, just not as severe.
Though that’s not the case with the RdrCEF.exe application error because it prevents Adobe Acrobat Reader from working.
What is RdrCEF.exe?
The RdrCEF.exe is a vital process for Adobe Reader, and is responsible for several critical functions, including but not limited to, cloud services and network interaction.
There are a bunch of errors that you might encounter with this process and some of these are listed below:
- RdrCEF.exe application error 0xc0000142
- RdrCEF.exe application error 0xc06d007e
- RdrCEF.exe application error 0xc00000001
How do I disable Adobe RdrCEF?
Since RdrCEF.exe is an inseparable process, users can’t disable it without affecting the functioning of Adobe Reader DC. But, if you are willing to let go of some of the functionalities, renaming the RdrCEF.exe file to RdrCEF_old.exe, stored at the following address might help.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AcrobatReaderDC\Reader\AcroCEF
In case the program is consuming high system resources, as reported by many, there’s always the option to uninstall it, and switch to a low-resource consuming PDF viewer.
Let’s now find out what to do if you encounter the RdrCEF.exe application error when opening Reader.
How do I fix AdobeARM.exe application error?
1. Run as administrator
- Right-click on the Adobe Acrobat launcher, and select Properties from the context menu.
- Head to the Compatibility tab.
- Tick the checkbox for Run this program as an administrator, and click OK to save the changes.
Once done, check if the RdrCEF.exe application error is fixed. In case it persists, head to the next method.
2. Check the permissions
- Right-click on the Adobe Acrobat Reader launcher, and select Properties.
- Go to the Security tab.
- Click on the Edit button.
- Select your user account, tick the checkboxes to provide all the relevant permissions, and click OK to save the changes.
3. Update Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Open Adobe Acrobat Reader, and then click on the Help menu at the top.
- Select Check for Updates, and if one is available, wait for it to install.
Since the RdrCEF.exe application error has been encountered by many, it should be addressed in one of the updates. So make sure to update the app.
4. Repair installation and restart
- Launch Adobe Acrobat Reader, and then click on the Help menu.
- Select Repair installation from the list of options.
- Click Yes in the confirmation prompt.
Now, wait for the repair process to complete and restart the application. Once done, the RdrCEF.exe application error would be eliminated. This would work if there was a problem with the app installation itself, or another intricate issue, that basic troubleshooting couldn’t identify.
These are all the ways you can fix the RdrCEF.exe application error and get things up and running in no time. Also, the methods listed here might work for other Adobe Acrobat Reader errors as well.
Also, find out what to do if Adobe Reader is not printing PDF documents.
If you have any other queries or know of a method that’s not listed here, drop a comment below.