How to recover deleted files from USB flash drive
USB flash drives are great backup tool used to store and transfer their data. Sometimes, files on your USB drive may be corrupted or you accidentally deleted your files.
Today we are going to show you how to recover deleted files from USB drive.
Reasons for USB data loss
There are several reasons for USB data loss, but few reasons include:
- Another program deleted the file.
- Mistakenly or intentionally deleted the file from the USB drive.
- Unplugged USB drive during transfer process.
- File corruption due to virus attacks.
- Fragmented partition structure on the USB flash drive.
Meanwhile, deleted files on the USB drive cannot be restored in the Recycle Bin unlike files deleted from the local disk/disk drive. If you can’t find your drive files in the Recycle Bin, take a look at this guide.
However, we have compiled applicable methods which you can use to recover deleted files from the USB drive.
Here’s how you can recover files from USB flash drives:
1. Use Command Prompt to recover hidden files from USB
The simplest way to recover deleted files from a USB drive is to use Command Prompt. Command Prompt is a Windows application available in all Windows Operating System.
Follow these steps to recover deleted files on your USB drive:
- Plug your USB drive (where the files were deleted from), and then press Windows and “R” keys to launch the Run Program.
- Type “cmd” and hit “Enter” key to open Command Prompt window.
- In the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk H: /f and hit “Enter” key (Replace H with the drive letter of the USB drive).
- Now, type Y and hit the “Enter” key to proceed.
- Type H (replace H with the USB drive letter) and hit the “Enter” key again.
- Finally, type H:>attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.* and hit the Enter key (Replace H with the drive letter of the USB drive).
- Wait for the process to be completed.
After this procedure, you will find all deleted files on a newly created folder on your USB drive. But you can change the file extension back to a normal format so as to make those found files functional again.
However, ensure you replace “E” with the drive letter of the USB drive in steps 3 and 6 above. You can also try out this fix on your SD, HD, or another external storage device.
2. Use a Data Recovery Tool to recover files from the USB drive
You can use data recovery tools as well to recover deleted files from your USB drive. Recovery tools are computer programs which are used to recover permanently deleted files on your Windows PC.
There are several recovery tools in the computer world, some of which are free and others are largely premium. However, these tools scan your USB drive using an efficient algorithm and recover deleted files and folders on your USB drive.
We strongly recommend you SysTools Pen Drive Recovery in order to perform this action. This tool will recover corrupted and deleted videos, images, documents and music files. But this is not the only feature it has.
Another great advantage is its compatibility. SysTools states that this tool runs on any Windows version, which makes it a universal life-savior. There are many other tools on the market that should do the job, but SysTools Pen Drive Recovery is fully dedicated to external devices, so we suggest you download it and get back all your deleted data.
In conclusion, any of the file recovery tools mentioned above can help you to recover deleted files as well. Also, we recommend that you back up your files on cloud storage services so as to increase your options for file retrieval.
Hope we have been able to help you recover deleted files from your USB drive? If you have any questions, you can comment below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 4 best PC repair toolkits to restore your PC’s health
- Got an old USB flash drive? 20 great ideas on how to use it
- How to Encrypt the USB Flash Drive in Windows
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2017 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Google Chrome is the most popular browser out there. It is a reliable tool to surf the Internet and has many great features. However, nothing […]
Uplay is an amazing game distribution platform created by Ubisoft. It can be used to buy and download games as well as DLCs. It can […]