- USB flash drives are great backup tools used to store and transfer their . Sometimes, files on your USB drive may be corrupted or you accidentally deleted your files.
- The best way to get your data back from the USB drive is to use a data recovery tool.
- Accidents may happen. Bookmark our Data Recovery section for future reference.
- We wrote plenty of guides to help you with a lot of problems. Read our How To Hub for countless examples.
Today we are going to show you how to recover deleted files from USB drive.
Reasons for USB data loss
There are several reasons for USB data loss, but few reasons include:
- Another program deleted the file.
- Mistakenly or intentionally deleted the file from the USB drive.
- Unplugged USB drive during transfer process.
- File corruption due to virus attacks.
- Fragmented partition structure on the USB flash drive.
Meanwhile, deleted files on the USB drive cannot be restored in the Recycle Bin unlike files deleted from the local disk/disk drive.
If you can’t find your drive files in the Recycle Bin, take a look at this guide.
However, we have compiled applicable methods that you can use to recover deleted files from the USB drive.
How can I recover files from USB flash drives?
1. Use a data recovery tool to recover files from the USB drive
You can use data recovery tools as well to recover deleted files from your USB drive. Recovery tools are computer programs that are used to recover permanently deleted files on your Windows PC.
There are several recovery tools in the computer world, some of which are free and others are largely premium.
However, these tools scan your USB drive using an efficient algorithm and recover deleted files and folders on your USB drive.
We strongly recommend Stellar Data Recovery in order to perform this action. This tool will recover corrupted and deleted videos, images, documents, and music files. But this is not the only feature it has.
If you want to know more about this tool, don’t hesitate to take a look at our awesome Stellar Data Recovery review. You’ll see whether it is worth the money or not.
For now, do keep in mind that the Deep Scan function is designed to recover data from formatted or corrupt storage.
If the software is not able to find the data in Quick Scan, it automatically switches to Deep Scan.
Here are a few of its key features:
- Recovers lost data on all Windows devices & storage media
- Built-in support for data recovery on RAW drive volumes
- Recovers documents, PDFs, photos, videos, & more
- Allows selective recovery of files for your choice
- Previews recoverable files for precise recovery
Stellar Data RecoveryUse Stellar Data Recovery to restore your documents, photo, and video from any media, even from a corrupted USB stick!
2. Use Command Prompt to recover hidden files from USB
The simplest way to recover deleted files from a USB drive is to use Command Prompt. Command Prompt is a Windows application available in all Windows Operating System.
Follow these steps to recover deleted files on your USB drive:
- Plug your USB drive (where the files were deleted from), and then press Windows and R keys to launch the Run Program.
- Type cmd and hit Enter key to open Command Prompt window.
- In the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk H: /f and hit Enter key (Replace H with the drive letter of the USB drive).
- Now, type Y and hit the Enter key to proceed.
- Type H (replace H with the USB drive letter) and hit the Enter key again.
- Finally, type H:>attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.* and hit the Enter key (Replace H with the drive letter of the USB drive).
- Wait for the process to be completed.
After this procedure, you will find all deleted files on a newly created folder on your USB drive.
But you can change the file extension back to a normal format so as to make those found files functional again.
However, ensure you replace E with the drive letter of the USB drive in steps 3 and 6 above. You can also try out this fix on your SD, HD, or another external storage device.
In conclusion, any of the file recovery tools mentioned above can help you to recover deleted files as well.
Also, we recommend that you back up your files on cloud storage services so as to increase your options for file retrieval.
Hope we have been able to help you recover deleted files from your USB drive? If you have any questions, you can comment below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.