How to recover deleted files from USB flash drives
USB flash drives are great backup tool used to store and transfer their data. Sometimes, files on your USB drive may be corrupted or you accidentally deleted your files.
Today we are going to show you how to recover deleted files from USB drive.
Reasons for USB data loss
There are several reasons for USB data loss, but few reasons include:
- Another program deleted the file
- Mistakenly or intentionally deleted file from the USB drive
- Unplugged USB drive during transfer process
- File corruption due to virus attacks
- Fragmented partition structure on the USB flash drive
Meanwhile, deleted files on the USB drive cannot be restored in the Recycle Bin unlike files deleted from the local disk/disk drive.
However, we have compiled applicable methods which you can use to recover deleted files from USB drive.
Here’s how you can recover files from USB flash drives
1. Use Command Prompt
The simplest way to recover deleted files from USB drive is to use Command Prompt. Command Prompt is a Windows application available in all Windows Operating System. Follow these steps to recover deleted files on your USB drive:
- Plug in your USB drive (where the files were deleted from), and then press Windows and “R” keys to launch the Run Program.
- Type “cmd” and hit “Enter” key to open Command Prompt window.
- In the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk H: /f and hit “Enter” key (Replace H with the drive letter of the USB drive).
- Now, type Y and hit the “Enter” key to proceed.
- Type H (replace H with the USB drive letter) and hit the “Enter” key again.
- Finally, type H:>attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.* and hit the Enter key (Replace H with the drive letter of the USB drive).
- Wait for the process to be completed.
After this procedure, you will find all deleted files on a newly created folder on your USB drive. But you can change the file extension back to a normal format so as to make those found files functional again.
However, ensure you replace “E” with the drive letter of the USB drive in steps 3 and 6 above. You can also try out this fix on your SD, HD, or other external storage device.
2. Use Data Recovery Tools
You can use data recovery tools as well to recover deleted files from your USB drive. Recovery tools are computer programs which are used to recover permanently deleted files on your Windows PC.
There are several recovery tools in the computer world, some of which are free and others are largely premium. However, these tools scan your USB drive using efficient algorithm and recovered deleted files and folders on your USB drive.
You can use any of the tools below to recover deleted files from your USB drive:
- SysTools Pen Drive Recovery (Premium)
- Easy Drive Data Recovery (Free download)
- Recover My Files (Premium)
- Wise Data Recovery (Free)
- Undelete 360 (Free)
- Puran File Recovery (Free)
In conclusion, any of the file recovery tools mentioned above can help you to recover deleted files as well. Also, we recommend that you backup your files on cloud storage services so as to increase your options for file retrieval.
Hope we have been able to help you recover deleted files from your USB drive? If you have any questions, you can comment below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 4 best PC repair toolkits to restore your PC’s health
- Got an old USB flash drive? 20 great ideas on how to use it
- How to Encrypt the USB Flash Drive in Windows
What Android emulator is the best for my Windows PC? Bluestacks MeMu Nox Remix OS Player Droid4X AMIDuOS Windroy Genymotion Xamarin Android Player Andy We’re […]
Recently, a security researcher @SandboxEscaper disclosed in a tweet which has been deleted (the account also has been removed), that the task scheduler is vulnerable […]
Microsoft may be developing a new wireless charging system called “Ultrafast’” for its devices, if a newly discovered patent gets approved for mass production. This […]