FIX: Remote desktop authentication error on Windows 10/7
Some users have stated that “An authentication error has occurred” error message pops up on their Windows desktops. The error occurs when they try connecting to another PC with the Remote Desktop Connection app. This issue has become increasingly prevalent since May 2018 updates for Windows 10 and 7. These are a few resolutions that might fix the “authentication error has occurred” error in Windows.
How can I fix Remote desktop authentication errors?
- Adjust the Remote Desktop Settings
- Enable Encryption Oracle Remediation
- Edit the Registry
- Remove the May Updates
1. Adjust the Remote Desktop Settings
- One quick fix is to deselect one of the remote desktop settings in Windows 10 on the host PC you’re trying to connect to. To do that, press the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Enter ‘sysdm.cpl’ in Run’s Open text box and click OK to open the window below.
- Then select the Remote tab.
- Deselect the Allow connections only form computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended) option on the Remote tab.
- Press the Apply and OK buttons.
2. Enable Encryption Oracle Remediation
- If you can’t adjust the remove desktop setting on the host desktop or laptop as outlined above, try enabling the Encryption Oracle Remediation policy setting with the Group Policy Editor. You can open the Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise by entering ‘gpedit.msc’ in Run.
- Click Computer Configuration on the left of the Group Policy Editor window.
- Then select Administrative Templates, System and Credentials Delegation on the left of the window.
- Next, click the Encryption Oracle Remediation on the right to open that setting’s window.
- Select the Enable radio button.
- Then select the Vulnerable option from the Protection drop-down menu.
- Click the Apply button.
- For the new group policy setting to take immediate effect, enter ‘cmd’ in Run to open the Command Prompt. Then input ‘gpupdate /force’ in the Prompt’s window and press Enter.
3. Edit the Registry
- Users have confirmed that you can also fix the Remote Desktop error by editing the AllowEncryptionOracle registry key. To do that, enter ‘regedit’ in Run and press Return to open the Registry Editor.
- Then open this key in the Registry Editor: HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystemCredSSPParameters.
- Double-click the AllowEncryptionOracle DWORD to open its Edit DWORD window.
- Enter the value ‘2’ in the Value data text box, and press the OK button.
- If you can’t see a AllowEncryptionOracle key, set up a new DWORD by right-clicking an empty space on right of the Registry Editor window and selecting New > DWORD. Enter ‘ AllowEncryptionOracle’ as the DWORD title.
4. Remove the May Updates
The Remote Desktop “authentication error has occurred” error is primarily due to the May KB4103727 Windows 10 update (KB4103718 for Windows 7). Thus, removing the KB4103727 or KB4103718 update from Windows on the client desktop or laptop might fix the Remote Desktop connection error. You can uninstall those updates as follows.
- Open the Run accessory with the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run’s Open text box, and then click the OK button.
- Click View installed updates to open the window directly below.
- Then select the KB4103727 or KB4103718 update and click Uninstall.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- You can ensure the update doesn’t reinstall with the Show or hide updates utility. Click Download the “Show or hide updates” troubleshooter package now on this page to save that utility to your HDD.
- Click wushowhide.diagcab in the folder you saved the Show or hide updates utility in to open the window shown below.
- Then click Next, and select the Hide updates option.
- Select the KB4103727 or KB4103718 updates if they are on the update list.
- Press Next to block the selected updates.
Those are some of the resolutions that will kick-start your Remote Desktop connection. This post also provides further tips for fixing Remote Desktop connections.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Remote Desktop now lets you access virtualized apps from your browser
- You can now enable Remote Desktop from the Windows 10 Settings page
- High DPI issues with Remote Desktop in Windows 10 [Fix]
Twitch is one of the most used live streaming video platforms, however, many users reported Unable to join call Twitch error. The developers at Twitch […]
Twitch is one of the most used and appreciated streaming services available on the market, but a large number of users reported Error fetching your […]