FIX: Remote Desktop error 0x204 on Windows 10
How can I fix Remote Desktop connection error code 0x204?
- Check Remote Desktop Protocol
- Make sure Remote Desktop is allowed through your software firewall
- Map the port for Remote Desktop connections
- Check if new hardware/ drivers have been installed
- Reinstall the Remote Desktop app
You can use Remote Desktop in order to connect and control your PC from another device. In this way, you can use another computer to connect to your PC and have access to all of your applications, files and other network resources as if you were sitting at your desk. To connect to a remote PC, there are several conditions that should be met, that is:
- The computer must be turned on
- It must have a network connection
- Remote Desktop must be enabled
- You must have network access to the remote computer and
- You must have the permission to connect to the respective device.
Remote Desktop is a very helpful tool but it has its fait share of problems, for example the 0x204 error. Luckily, there are several solutions to trying to fix Remote Desktoop 0x204, and we’ll list them below.
How to fix Remote Desktop error 0x204
Solution 1: Check Remote Desktop Protocol
The very first thing you should do is check if the Remote Desktop Protocol is enabled. In order to do so, please follow the steps below:
- Press the Windows key + R (in order to launch the Run application)
- Type SystemPropertiesRemote.exe and press OK
- In the System Properties go to Remote tab
- Under Remote desktop, check Allow remote connections to this computer – Allow remote connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network level authentication (recommended)
This option represents a more secure authentication method that can better protect your computer.
Solution 2: Make sure Remote Desktop is allowed through your software firewall
- Navigate to Control Panel and go to System and Security
- Go to Allow an app through Windows Firewall, located under Windows Defender Firewall
- Locate Remote Desktop and tick to allow it for both private and public networksk
Solution 3: Map the port for Remote Desktop connections
Another step that should be taken into consideration, if your remote sessions are through internet, is making sure that your router has been configured to forward he remote desktop port (3389 by default) to the correct computer on your network.
Since routers have different interfaces, it is almost impossible to give you specific instructions but here are some basic steps that could guide you through the process:
- Get the IP address of the computer you want to connect to. The simplest way to do that is to open Command Prompt and type ipconfig
- Log into your router and locate the Port Forwarding section. Into that section you should forward TCP port 3389 to the IP address located previously
Also, please pay attention that exposing the Remote Desktop server directly to the internet, generates risks: malware, automated hacking, etc. So you should make sure that you use strong passwords and install a VPN.
Another suggestion regarding security could be to change the RDP listening port from the 3389 default to another high port number in the dynamic range.
Solution 4: Check if new hardware/ drivers have been installed
Error 0x204 could also occur if you recently added hardware to your computer or you have installed new or updated drivers to your computer. If this happened, you could try to:
- Run hardware diagnosis supplied by the system manufacturer to determine which hardware component failed
- Remove or replace the newly installed driver.
Solution 5 – Reinstall the Remote Desktop app
Another suggestion is to reinstall the remote desktop software. In order to uninstall Remote Desktop app in Windows 10, please follow the steps described below.
- Open the Microsoft Remote Desktop app
- Click on the the overflow menu (…) button next to the name (ex: “My Laptop”) of the Remote Desktop connection you want to delete, and click on Remove
- After you disabled the app, try to install it again.
All in all, managing our computers from afar or troubleshooting a family member’s PC without being in front of it, gives us tremendous comfort. That is why the applications that give us remote access are very popular among users. So, do not let the technical aspects of remote desktop software scare you away and, if you encounter 0x204 error, we hope that the solutions listed above proved useful.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: “The remote connection was denied” in Windows 10
- High DPI issues with Remote Desktop in Windows 10 [Fix]
- Fix: ‘The remote connection was not made’ Windows 10 error
- Fix: Remote Desktop Won’t Connect in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
In order to create complex projects that involve large mathematical equations and calculations, it is recommended that you use specialized software to do so. Fortunately […]
Are you sure you want to add, remove or change a mail account message can sometimes appear while using the Mail app. If this happens, […]