- A Java Runtime error might appear if you have an older version of JRE software installed.
- If you have wondered how to fix Java issues, reinstalling it can help you.
- To fix the Java Runtime Environment not found error, make sure to have the latest version of Java.
- Download the JRE version that corresponds with your system type so you won't deal with other types of Java issues.
The Java Development Kit (JDK), the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), and the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) form a trio of Java platform components for developing and running Java apps.
A runtime environment is a piece of software that is designed to run other software. As the runtime environment for Java, the JRE contains the Java class libraries, the Java class loader, and the JVM.
So if you don’t have JRE installed or you have an older version of the software you might encounter one of the following messages:
- Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment – you don’t have the Java SE version installed on your system
- This application needs version 1.x or higher of the Java Runtime Environment – you should update your Java version to the latest you can find on the official website
- A Java Runtime Environment(JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK) must be available to run this app – like the first error, check if you have installed JRE or JDK and if not, install them
In today’s guide, we will explore the most efficient and easy methods to try out in this situation. Read on for more details.
How can I fix the Runtime error on Java?
1. Run Windows troubleshooter
- Select Start , click on Settings.
- In the next menu, choose Update & Security, and then click Troubleshoot.
- Select the type of troubleshooting you want to run, then select Run the troubleshooter.
- Allow the troubleshooter to run and then answer any questions on the screen.
If you see a message that no changes or updates were necessary, you can try the recovery options. This is a built-in troubleshooter tool from Windows 10.
2. Download Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
- Download JRE from the official website.
- After visiting the list above, choose if you need a 32bit or a 64bit architecture of JRE.
- Click on the Agree and download button to start the actual download.
If you don’t know which version of Java is the correct version for your system, you can find out by searching in Cortana search the term System Information.
You should open the first option that appears after the search, and then check the value under System Type (32-bit or 64-bit).
3. Install Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
- Right-click on the downloaded JRE setup file.
- Select Run as administrator and accept the installation prompt.
- In the next window, you can change the destination folder or leave the default.
- Once selected just click on the Install button to complete the installation.
- You will receive the message that the installation was successful. Click on close the complete the install and close the window.
We recommend you to check if there is a new Java update each time you encounter this issue. The software will not update automatically, so, you will have to manually perform this task.
That is it. You should now have the latest version of Java Runtime Environment on your PC and you should no longer receive the error message.
Please write us in a comment below if these solutions helped you or if there are any other suggestions that we should include in our aricle.
Frequently Asked Questions
A jar file can be opened by Java. However, you can open it with any of these best Jar file opener software.
This is a common error when there is no compatible software to open it. Follow our guide on how to fix the unable to access Jar file error on Windows 10.
This error appears when you have an outdated version. Check our guide on how to fix the Runtime error Java in just a few easy steps.