- Java is a computing platform for the development and deployment of portable code.
- If you don't have JRE installed or you have an older version you might encounter one of the dreaded Runtime Environment errors.
- For more articles on this great platform, check out our dedicated Java hub.
- To make sure you're never too far away from a fix, visit our extensive Debugging and diagnostics webpage.
The Java Development Kit (JDK), the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), and the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) form trio of Java platform components for developing and running Java apps.
A runtime environment is a piece of software that is designed to run other software. As the runtime environment for Java, the JRE contains the Java class libraries, the Java class loader, and the Java Virtual Machine.
So if you don’t have JRE installed or you have an older version you might encounter one of the following messages:
- Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment
- This application needs version 1.x or higher of the Java Runtime Environment
- A Java Runtime Environment(JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK) must be available to run this app.
In today’s guide, we will explore the most efficient and easy methods to try out in this situation. Read on for more details.
How can I fix the Runtime error on Java?
1. Run Windows troubleshooter
- Select Start , click on Settings.
- In the next menu, choose Update & Security, and then click Troubleshoot.
- Select the type of troubleshooting you want to run, then select Run the troubleshooter.
- Allow the troubleshooter to run and then answer any questions on the screen. If you see a message that no changes or updates were necessary, you can try the recovery options.
2. Download Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
- Download JRE from the official website.
- After visiting the list above, choose if you need a 32bit or a 64bit architecture of JRE.
- Click on the Agree and download button to start the actual download.
Note: If you don’t know which version of Java is the correct version for your system, you can find out by searching in Cortana search the term System Information. You should open the first option that appears after the search, and then check the value under System Type (32-bit or 64-bit).
3. Install Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
- Right-click on the downloaded JRE setup file.
- Select Run as administrator and accept the installation prompt.
- In the next window, you can change the destination folder or leave the default.
- Once selected just click on the Install button to complete the installation.
- You will receive the message that the installation was successful. Click on close the complete the install and close the window.
That is it. You should now have the latest version of Java Runtime Environment on your PC and you should no longer receive the error message.
FAQ: Learn more about Java Runtime Environment
- Can Java program run without JRE?
Java doesn’t have to be installed, it just has to be present. For the application to run you will need to download the Java Runtime Environment.
- Do I need JRE if I have JDK installed?
You don’t need JRE if you have the Java Development Kit installed (JDK). JDK usually consists of both development & run-time environments.
- What causes a runtime error?
A runtime error is caused by bugs found in the specific software, or because of a conflict between the version you’re using and the required version of the software.