Secondary hard drive freezes computer: 7 solutions to fix it
Have you been in the situation where an attached second hard drive freezes your computer? This seems to be a general problem; hence, Windows Report have come up with right solutions to fix this problem.
Sometimes, Windows users may use additional second hard drive on their PC so as to maximize the storage capacity, or even for regular backups. However, the secondary hard drive may freeze your computer due to reasons such as malware threats, bad sectors on the HDD, messy HDD connections, and even faulty hard drive itself.
Meanwhile, the following solutions are applicable in solving this problem:
- Run a full system scan
- Run CHKDSK on the hard drive
- Repair PC registry
- Check PC-to-HDD’s connections
- Update the HDD driver
- Change power options
- Replace your hard drive
How to fix secondary hard drive freezing computer
Solution 1: Run a full system scan
Viruses and malware can cause second hard drive to freeze during operation. Run a full system scan on your PC to remove every possible virus corruption. There are several third-parties antivirus software around that you may use.
We strongly suggest you to check out some of the best antivirus software for your Windows PC and install them on your computer. Also, we recommend trying out this tool that will remove viruses and repair the damage done by them.
You can also use Windows’ built-in antivirus, Windows Defender. Here’s how to run a full system scan on Windows 10 Creators Update:
- Go to Start > type ‘defender’ > double click Windows Defender to launch the tool.
- In the left hand pane, select the shield icon.
- In the new window, click the “Advanced scan” option.
- Check the full scan option to launch a full system malware scan.
Alternatively, you may consider scanning the entire contents of the second hard drive with the antivirus. Some third-party antivirus programs such as Panda, BullGuard, BitDefender, etc are ideal for virus removal.
Solution 2: Run CHKDSK on the hard drive
Another way of fixing this problem as reported by some Windows users is to perform CHKDSK on the hard drive. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to Start > Type “command prompt” >Right-click on it, and select “Run as administrator”.
- Now, type “CHKDSK C: /F” (Replace C with the drive letter of the second hard drive e.g. E)
- Hence, type CHKDSK E: /R without quotes in the Command Prompt and hit “Enter” key.
- After CHKDSK process, restart your PC and attach the second hard drive afterwards.
Solution 3: Repair PC registry
The simplest way to repair your Windows registry is to use a dedicated tool, such as CCleaner. Alternatively, you can also use Microsoft’s System File Checker to check for system file corruption.
The utility program verifies the integrity of all system files and repairs files with problems when possible. Here’s how to run an SFC scan on all Windows’ versions:
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator.
- Now, type the sfc /scannow command.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
However, if this method does not prevent the freezing problem, you may proceed to the next method.
Solution 4: Check PC-to-HDD’s connections
Sometimes, the adapter wire connecting the HDD to the system may be faulty. You may consider replacing the adapter wire or follow these steps to check the connections so as to fix the problem:
- Detach the HDD from your computer
- Clean all the ports and wirings linking the HDD to the computer and vice versa.
- Now, reconnect the HDD to the computer. (Ensure that all the connections are fastened tightly.
Solution 5: Update the HDD driver
Another way of fixing the secondary hard drive freezing computer issue is by updating your HDD’s driver. Here’s how to update the HDD driver:
- Go to Start > Type “Device Manager” in the search box and hit “Enter”
- On the left pane, locate the “disk drives” section, and then the arrow key to expand it.
- Hence, right-click on the second hard drive’s driver, and then click on the “Update Driver Software” option to proceed.(Note: you must be connected to the Internet for the update to run).
- After the update, restart your PC and attach the second hard drive afterward.
Alternatively, you can use third-party tools to update the drivers in order to prevent risks like installing the wrong driver version. We strongly recommend TweakBit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
- Read Also: How to fix Dell PC error code 0146
Solution 6: Change power options
Sometimes, the Windows PC power options are set to power down the hard drive when not in use. A simple way of preventing this is to change your power options to never power down. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to Start > Type “power options”, and then hit “Enter”.
- Click on “Change plan settings”
- Now, click on change advanced power settings, select “Hard drive” from the left pane and then click on it.
- Hence, at the turn off hard disk after, select maximum time so as to prevent the hard drive from powering down.
However, if you are still experiencing the problem, you may proceed to the next method.
Solution 7: Replace your hard drive
Finally, you need to consider replacing your PC’s HDD because it may be faulty. You can remove your HDD, connect it to another PC to access the files and folders on the PC, and also to confirm if it boots up from the HDD.
Meanwhile, if the new PC is unable to identify and access the HDD, then you definitely need to replace it with a new one. However, you should get a new hard drive from another manufacturer if possible.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: An old HDD is not showing up in Windows 10
- How to fix second hard drive stops Windows 10 boot
- Fix: Windows 10 chkdsk got stuck
The Windows operating system has many unknown files, and WpcMon.exe is one such file. Like the rest, the file is considered somehow mysterious and has […]
As long as you have a computer or smart devices, whether at home or in business, you’ve got to constantly resolve to get rid of […]