Numerous surveys have revealed that more than 70% of consumers (and this number keeps increasing), carry out searches online prior to visiting a business, or making a purchase. But how do you then cut through the loads of information online, to secure yourself a spot on the first page (or at least the first three pages) of a search engine? SEO software may help you.
Search engine optimization (SEO), also known as organic search marketing, is simply a process that sends signals to search engines that your site is the best, most trusted, and most authoritative in your industry.
Ideally, search engines are constantly sifting through the billions of content online, to pick out only what is of value to the searcher – in this case – your target audience or customer.
They’re a great source for targeted traffic, so in order to prove that yours is the best site worth showing to your target audience, you can do either of two things:
- Get an SEO specialist to ensure you rank at the top of search engine results
- Get an SEO software tool that can analyze your site and help you rank better.
Getting an SEO specialist may sometimes be expensive especially for someone who is just starting out, or setting up a business. But, if you can afford it, this is one of the best ways to manage your SEO needs.
A specialist will also analyze, review and implement changes to your site so as to optimize it for search engines – in short, they know which buttons to touch to get you at the top.
They understand site requirements such as keyword research, SEO copywriting, website layouts, internal and external links, as well as search engine marketing and advertising techniques for SEO.
On the other hand, an SEO software tool is also ideal, because it not only analyzes your site, but also gives you recommendations, and helps you rank better without paying for placement.
However, it is up to you to interpret the results of the analysis, and optimize it by yourself.
Some of the tasks an SEO software tool will help you fulfill include:
- Providing insights through keyword analysis, backlink tracking and trend analysis
- Identify best search relevance improvement strategies for your site
- Providing competitor data and industry analysis
- Providing insights on areas for improvement of your site
- Provide background reports on optimization metrics
- Some offer paid search optimization tools that analyze pay-per-click advertising, conversion metrics, and ad placement
Before you get an SEO software tool, you need to know what to look for in an SEO software tool.
A good SEO software tool should ideally provide the following features:
- Effective keyword tool discovery
- Competition analysis, including the strategies they use
- Website auditing with suggestions for improvement
- Scalability – can works with large volumes of data
- Support for local and international markets
- SEO execution on various platforms including social, mobile and desktop
- Change tracking, and monitoring metrics
- Customer support with continual professional guidance
- Can be purchased online via a reputable provider (preferably the company that offers it), or the company’s official website
Now that you know what SEO software can do for you, and what to consider as you look for one, the next step is to find a reliable tool.
Best SEO tools to boost your search rankings
1. SEMrush SEO software (recommended)
This tool offers comprehensive keyword research, domain analytics, backlink tracking, as well as search breakdowns on desktop and mobile platforms.
Although it is not as compact as the Moz Pro, this tool has a fantastic feature called SEO ideas, which gives it a competitive edge over other tools.
The SEO ideas feature lets you identify your site’s high value pages so you can optimize based on click through rates (CTRs) and impressions, among other page metrics. Once you select the pages, SEMrush lets you know how to prioritize them, and how much traffic you can get based on this alignment.
It also comes with Trello integration, which means you can create a task and delegate within your team.
Why we like SEMrush:
- Its SEO ideas feature offers unique value
- Identifies high probability ranking pages
- Hyper-local SEO targeting
- Keyword suggestions
- Proactive SEO recommendations
- You can conduct campaigns on multiple targets drilled down by city, at one go
- Custom business solutions for special marketing needs such as on-site training, add-on features, and custom keyword databases
- Position tracking tool checks which keywords trigger different SERP features, both owned by you and those owned by your competitors
2. Ahrefs SEO software
This tool is revered for its exceptional web crawling capabilities (over 6 billion pages on a daily basis), comprehensive domain monitoring and analysis, as well as in-depth SERP analysis.
Ahrefs comes with a dashboard that displays everything you need to execute your SEO activities, both in summarized and detailed formats.
This SEO software tool meets all your SEO needs by providing comprehensive reports, competitor analysis, keyword research, backlink checks, research on what content works for your niche, keyword rank tracking, and monitoring your niche through alerts.
It also comes highly recommended by leading marketing and SEO names such as Neil Patel (KissMetrics), Brian Dean (Backlinko), and Jon Cooper (Pointblankseo), among others.
Why we like Ahrefs:
- Displays exact words competitors rank for
- Has a 240+ million keyword database in the US, and in more than 100 other countries
- Mammoth database of 3 billion keywords
- Covers all your bases in keyword research and ongoing monitoring
- Exceptional domain analysis
- Provides insights on searcher behavior
- Runs the world’s largest, top-notch index of live backlinks (over 12 trillion)
- Crawls over 4 billion web pages every 24 hours, with fresh data updates every 15 minutes
- Site explorer feature helps you see all backlinks and SEO metrics for any website
- Content explorer feature helps you know which sites don’t link back to you, best performing content and search traffic
- Provides automated daily/weekly/monthly ranking reports
- Tracks keyword rankings from any location
- Provides graphical ranking history report
- You can set up keyword alerts related to your business and the tool sends you an email notification of this (helps you get new opportunities to serve your audience)
3. Moz Pro SEO software
You cannot search for SEO software tools without coming across Moz Pro.
This tool helps you improve your search engine visibility and rankings, by deciphering the volumes of data online, to give you the highest quality of data, and actionable insights for decision making.
Salient features include keyword rankings, keyword research, link analysis, site crawling, page optimization, and comprehensive reporting with action based recommendations.
Why we like Moz Pro:
- It is an all-in-one SEO software tool combining all elements of the perfect SEO tool into one single suite
- It is user friendly, no need for expert technical knowledge on SEO to operate it
- Ties SEO data directly to business outcomes
- Access to SEO metrics for every page you visit online
- Identifies outreach opportunities for rich backlinks
- Benchmarks your site versus those of competitors
- Identifies helpful, valuable and strategic content topics for your site
- Monitors the web for mentions of your brand, products and your competitors
- Access to inbound marketing resources
Editor’s Note: This article continues on the next page. If you’re interested in other SEO tools, check out our wide collection of guides.