- When you're trying to add a Google or Outlook.com account, you probably encounter the Something went wrong error.
- To deal with this error, you need to add your accounts manually. Learn how to do that in our guide below.
- Not many people use the Windows Mail app in Windows 10, but if you do, and experience any issues, check our Windows Mail client section for answers.
- When it comes to Outlook, we became pretty knowledgable in time, so bookmark out Fix Outlook hub for further reference.
Many Windows 10 users are complaining they’re unable to add a Google or Outlook.com account to Windows 10’s Mail app.
When trying to add one of these email accounts, users encounter various errors, like 0x8007042b, 0x80040154, 0x8000ffff, 0x8007000d, 0x80c8043e, 0x80070435, 0x8007006d, 0x80070425, etc.
I’ve been getting the 0x8007042b Something went wrong error in the Mail and Calendar apps on my Windows 10 desktop PC when trying to add my gmail account, ever since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and it is very annoying, so I am very happy Microsoft has acknowledged this issue.
And yes, Microsoft finally acknowledged one problem reported by users, as one of its employees reached to people on forums with an actual solution!
Besides explaining the solution, Microsoft’s employee also announced that the fix will come in future updates for Windows 10.
What can I do if I can’t add Google and Outlook accounts to Windows 10 Mail App?
To deal with Something went wrong error, when you try to add Google or Outlook account to Windows 10 Mail, you need to add your accounts manually.
To do that, follow these instructions:
Case 1 – Add your Google Account
To add your Google Account, do the following:
- Open Mail app, and go to Settings icon at the bottom left
- Choose Manage Accounts, Add account, and then go to Advanced setup
- Select Internet email
- Now, add the following info:
- Now click Sign-in, and you’re done
Case 2 – Add your Outlook Account
Now, let’s see how to add an Outlook account:
- Open Mail app
- Choose Manage Accounts, and Add account
- Select Exchange (instead of Outlook)
- Enter your Outlook login info
- Click Sign-in
That’s about it, now you know how to add your Gmail and Outlook accounts to Windows 10 Mail app, without getting any errors.
We hope Microsoft will finally fix this issue in one of the upcoming updates, but until then, you have a solution.
If the problem persists even after you followed the instructions listed above, you can also try to:
- Connect your Google account to your Windows 10 computer one more time
- Enable IMAP on your Google account
- Create a new IMAP account
- Disable the Credential Manager Service
- Use a restore point if nothing seems to work.
For detailed instructions, you can check out this troubleshooting guide.
However, if you still have problems with your Windows 10 Mail app, you can check out our article about the problems with Windows 10 Mail app, for some additional solutions.
Also, you can try the best Windows 10 email clients and apps to use from our list.
Frequently Asked Questions
First, check your time and date, then, make sure your operating system is updated. If the problem persists, read our full guide to fix this error.
The 0x8000000b error code signals that the Mail app was unable to connect to the Gmail IMAP server. If you have problems with your internet connection contact your ISP or read our comprehensive guide to fix the problem.
IMAP is an acronym for Internet Message Access Protocol. In computing, the IMAP is an Internet standard protocol used by email clients to retrieve email messages from a mail server over a TCP/IP connection.