Fix: STATUS SYSTEM PROCESS TERMINATED error on Windows 10
How to get rid of STATUS SYSTEM PROCESS TERMINATED error on Windows 10 laptops/PCs?
- Download the latest Windows 10 updates
- Update your drivers
- Remove your antivirus software
- Enter Safe Mode and remove the problematic applications
- Reset Windows 10
- Find and replace the faulty hardware
- Check your hard drive for errors
Blue Screen of Death errors can be quite problematic sometimes, therefore it’s important to know how to fix them. Errors such as STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED can be serious, therefore today we’re going to show you how to fix this error on Windows 10.
How to fix STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED error
Quick solution to fix various errors in Windows 10
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing BSOD errors in Windows 10
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues (requires upgrade).
Solution 1 – Download the latest Windows 10 updates
Just like many other operating systems, Windows 10 has some issues with certain hardware and software. Usually the software or hardware isn’t fully compatible with Windows 10, and that can sometimes cause STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED error to appear.
To fix this and many other Blue Screen of Death errors it’s recommended to use Windows Update to download the latest Windows 10 patches. Microsoft is releasing new patches frequently, and many of these patches bring improved security along with various bug fixes related to both hardware and software. If you want your PC to be stable and free from errors, we strongly suggest that you download the latest Windows updates frequently.
Solution 2 – Update your drivers
In order for your hardware to work with your operating system, you have to have the proper drivers installed. If your drivers are outdated, or if they contain certain bugs, you won’t be able to use them, and you might get STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED or any other Blue Screen of Death error. To fix this problem, it’s recommended that you find and update the problematic driver. If you cannot find the problematic driver, we advise that you update drivers for all major components, such as your motherboard, chipset, network adapter, etc. Be sure to update as many drivers as you can in order to fix this problem.
Updating your drivers is fairly simple, and you can do it by visiting your hardware manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your device. As we previously mentioned, you might have to update all drivers on your PC in order to fix this error.
Updating all your drivers can sometimes take a while, especially because you need to find and download them one by one. If you want to quickly update all your drivers, you can use this Driver Update software that downloads all the necessary drivers with just a single click.
- READ ALSO: Fix: BUGCODE_ID_DRIVER error on Windows 10
Solution 3 – Remove your antivirus software
Having an antivirus software installed is important for you safety, but sometimes your antivirus can cause STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED and other Blue Screen of Death errors to appear. To fix this error, you might have to temporarily remove all antivirus programs from your PC. Bear in mind that Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender that works as a default antivirus program, so even if you remove all third-party antivirus programs, your PC won’t be completely unprotected.
We have to mention that uninstalling the antivirus program might not fix this error because antivirus programs tend to leave certain files and registry entries once you uninstall them, and sometimes these files can also cause BSoD error to appear. To completely remove all files associated with your antivirus software, we strongly advise that you download a dedicated removal tool. Many antivirus companies have these tools available for download, so be sure to download one for you antivirus program.
Solution 4 – Enter Safe Mode and remove the problematic applications
Sometimes BSoD errors are caused by third-party applications, and the only solution is to find and remove the problematic application. To determine if software is causing STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED error to appear it’s advised that you enter Safe Mode. To enter Safe Mode, you need to do the following:
- Restart your computer few times during the boot sequence to start Automatic Repair. Alternatively, you can just hold the Shift key on your keyboard and click the Restart button.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click the Restart button.
- When your computer restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Press 5 or F5 to select Safe Mode with Networking.
Safe Mode starts with only default applications and drivers, therefore if the problem is caused by third-party software or drivers, you shouldn’t have any problems in Safe Mode. If your PC is stable in Safe Mode, you can now use it to find and remove the problematic software.
Solution 5 – Reset Windows 10
Sometimes you just can’t find the application that is causing this error, so it’s recommended that you perform Windows 10 reset. To complete this process you might need a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, but it’s also recommended that you create a backup since this process will delete all files from your C drive. To perform Windows 10 reset, do the following:
- Restart your computer few times during the boot sequence to start Automatic Repair.
- Select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything. To complete this step you might need to insert Windows 10 installation media, so be prepared to do that.
- Choose Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files and click the Reset button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the reset.
Once you complete Windows 10 reset, don’t install any software or drivers, instead test your PC for a while. If the BSoD error appears again, it means that it’s being caused by your hardware.
Solution 6 – Find and replace the faulty hardware
Sometimes STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED error can be caused by recently installed hardware, especially if that hardware isn’t fully compatible with your PC. If you installed any new hardware, be sure to remove it or replace and check if that fixes the problem. If the error still persists, we suggest that you perform a detailed hardware inspection and replace the faulty hardware.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure but also file loss and malware.
Solution 7 – Check your hard drive for errors
You can also use another simple manipulation from your PC that will check your hard drive for errors. Here’s what you have to do:
- On your keyboard, press ‘Windows’
- In the search box tap ‘cmd’
- In the results, you will see ‘Command Prompt’. Right-click on it, and select ‘Run as Administrator’
- In the command prompt window tap enter the following command: ‘chkdsk /f /r C :‘ (C is the letter of the driver to scan. Change it for your needed driver)
Here is it. Try it and let us know how you managed to solve this issue.
STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED error can be problematic, but users reported that they fixed it by updating Windows 10 or by performing a Windows 10 reset. If these solutions don’t work for you, feel free to try any other solution from this article.
- Fix: Error Code 0x80070032 in Windows 10 Mail
- Fix: Microsoft Edge won’t open
- FIX: ‘Access denied’ when editing hosts file on Windows 10
- Fix: Winload.efi Error is Preventing Users from Resetting or Refreshing my Computer
- Fix PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Errors in Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]