- Steam is probably the world's most well-known digital distribution platform for games.
- Unfortunately, the Steam client is not free of errors, and that is what we will be looking over in the guide below.
- If a Steam service component error pops up, a first step would be to disable your antivirus.
- Using a less impactful antivirus or one with gaming mode is an aspect to think about.
Some users have posted on support forums about a Steam service error that arises when they try to launch the platform. The error message states:
In order to run Steam properly on this version of Windows, the Steam service component is not working properly on this computer.
Consequently, the Steam client doesn’t start and users can’t access their games.
In this article, we’ll look at a few solutions to easily get back into the gaming platform.
How do I fix the Steam service error?
1. Disable third-party antivirus software
Users with third-party antivirus software might need to disable those utilities. To do that, right-click the system tray icon for your antivirus software to open its context menu.
Then select a disable option of some description on the context menu to turn off the antivirus utility’s shield for a certain time period of time.
However, since you’re prone to cyberattacks when accessing the Internet without a proper shield, instead of disabling your antivirus altogether, we recommend using a less restrictive software such as Vipre.
Vipre comes as an essential antivirus solution with excellent detection rates and minimum impact on your systems.
The tool only includes basic but fundamental features to protect your device from ransomware, adware, malware, and accessing malicious sites. This is what makes is fast, accurate and easy to install and use.
Not to mention that in its most complete version, Vipre Ultima Security, you also get a VPN included, to keep your online activity private and access even more gaming content that might not be otherwise accessible in your country.
Vipre Antivirus PlusGet instant access to your Steam platform and stay protected at the same time, with this award-winning antivirus.
2. Configure Steam to run as an administrator
- If you have a desktop shortcut for Steam, right-click it and select the Properties option.
- If you don’t have a desktop shortcut for the software, right-click the Steam EXE file within its folder and select Properties.
- The default folder path for Steam is:
C: > Program Files> Steam (x86)
- The default folder path for Steam is:
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Select the Run this program as an administrator setting there.
- Click the Apply option, and press the OK button.
3. Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
- Enter firewall in the home screen search box to find Window Dedefender Firewall.
- Click on it and open its Control Panel applet window.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off on the left of the applet.
- Next, select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall options within Customize Settings.
- Click OK to exit.
- Thereafter, launch Steam again.
4. Configure the Steam service to start automatically
- Press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut, which opens Run.
- Type services.msc in the Open box, and click the OK option.
- Double-click Steam Client Service to open the properties window for it.
- Click the Stop button if the service is running.
- Select the Automatic option on the Startup type drop-down menu.
- Press the Start button.
- Select the Apply option to save changes.
- Then click OK to exit.
5. Use Command Prompt
- First, right-click your Steam shortcut and select the Open file location option.
- Then note down the full folder path for Steam within File Explorer. Alternatively, copy it to the clipboard by pressing the Ctrl + C hotkey.
- Open the Run window pressing Windows key + R.
- Enter cmd, and press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter hotkey.
- Then enter the full path of Steam followed by /repair in the Command Prompt.
- Press the Return key after entering the repair command.
Those are some of the more widely confirmed fixes for the Steam service error. Running Steam as an administrator will often fix the issue. However, some users might need to fix the error with the other resolutions.
If none of these work or if you used another way, please let us know in the comments.
FAQ: Learn more about Steam
- How much is Steam on PC?
The Steam service, both the dedicated app or the server browser, is completely free of charge.
- How does Steam work?
Steam acts as a digital distribution platform through which you can buy, download, install, manage, and run a wide variety of software.
- Why is my Steam disconnected?
It is possible that Steam can’t remember your login credentials although you’ve set it to remember the password.