- Steam's voice chat feature can sometimes stop working for some users. In this guide we will provide steps to fix this issue.
- The main reason voice chat on Steam does not work is usually because your Microphone is not enabled on Steam or on your Windows PC.
- If you'd like to check out more of our Steam guides and various fixes, take a look at our Steam Guides page.
- We also have a dedicated Gaming section where you can read and discuss our latest news on the field.
Millions of users with unique PC configurations are using Steam, and sometimes features simply don’t work as they should. This troubleshooting guide will help you fix Steam‘s voice chat not working step by step.
This guide will help you check if your microphone is enabled in the Steam chat overlay, and if not, we’ll show you how to enable it in your Windows 10 Settings.
What can I do if Steam’s voice chat won’t work?
1. Enable your Microphone in the Steam chat overlay
- Open Steam
- Click on the Settings icon under Steam chat overlay
- Head over to the Voice settings
- Make sure to select your microphone under Voice Input Device.
- If it isn’t, you can select it from there
- Check if the microphone’s Voice Transmission Type is set to Open Microphone or Push-to-Talk
2. Enable your Microphone in Windows Sounds Settings
- Head over to the right side of your Windows Taskbar, then click on the Sound icon.
- After that, select Open Sound Settings
- Here you can choose your input device on your Windows 10 PC.
- You can enable your microphone by clicking on the Enable button under Input Devices
3. Allow apps to use your Microphone on Windows
- On the left side of your Taskbar, click on the Windows icon, then select the Settings icon
- Choose the Privacy tab, then head over to the microphone section
- The toggle under Allow apps to access your microphone should be set to On
These solutions should now fix your microphone so that it works Steam voice chat. Selecting the correct input device both in Windows and on Steam, and allowing apps to access your microphone are the fixes that we reccommend.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your voice does not sound as it normally should in CS:GO, search on Windows for Manage audio devices. Then in the Recording tab, select your microphone, click on Properties > Advanced and make sure that the Allow application to take control of this device option is toggled.
Check if your mic isn’t muted. If it’s not muted, then your microphone’s volume might be set to 0 or it has stopped working. If your mic isn’t working at all, we recommend purchasing another headset or standalone microphone.
This particular issue is just one of many common CS:GO issues that players usually face. In order to fix them, read this comprehensive guide.
Yes, in online FPS games, VoIP programs are far more efficient than typing messages to your teammates.