- Although Steam is a popular gaming platform, some users claimed that the Steam client's windows go black.
- Check your cybersecurity solution, as it can sometimes interfere with certain apps.
- You need to configure some compatibility settings to fix this issue.
- Also, make sure your video card driver is updated to the latest version.
Valve’s platform allows gamers to download and play games, make friends and interact with each other via the app. Unless the client gets broken.
For some users, the Steam client‘s windows go black, not allowing access to Store, Library, News, Friend list, and Profile sections.
We managed to come up with a series of fixes in order to help you fix the black screen on Steam for Windows, so be sure to check them out below.
What can I do if the Steam screen suddenly turns black?
1. Disable your antivirus
- After ensuring that your network is reliable, expand the Hidden System Tray icons and right-click on your antivirus.
- Choose to disable Real-time protection temporarily.
- Try accessing Steam again and, if the problem is solved, consider whitelisting the Steam client.
Sometimes the cybersecurity measures you install on your PC can interfere with certain programs or applications, such as using Steam.
A good solution is to temporarily disable your antivirus. On the other hand, if the problem persists, re-enable your antivirus and continue with the steps below.
2. Stop running Steam as administrator
- Right-click on Steam, and select Proprieties.
- Open the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure to have the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for and Run this program as an administrator unchecked.
- Press OK, and run Steam to see if this fixed the issue.
Some Steam users have reported that if you stop running Steam as administrator, then the screen no longer goes black.
You should also know that you can find other useful solutions for Steam game update errors by reading our comprehensive guide.
3. Update video card driver
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard, type devmgmt.msc in the Run box and hit Enter.
- Expand the Display Adapters category in the Device Manager.
- Right-click on your video card, and select Update Driver.
- Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Wait for the update to install, and restart your PC to see if it fixed the issue.
Sometimes Windows can’t automatically find the latest drivers for your software, so a specialized tool can help you without the hassle.
Some of the most common Windows errors and bugs are a result of old or incompatible drivers. The lack of an up-to-date system can lead to lag, system errors or even BSoDs.To avoid these types of problems, you can use an automatic tool that will find, download, and install the right driver version on your Windows PC in just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The software will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Drivers will no longer create any problems if you download and use this powerful software today.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
4. Reinstall Steam
- In the Start Program list, locate Steam.
- Right-click on it and choose Uninstall. This will take you to Control Panel, and to Uninstall a program section.
- Select Uninstall Steam.
- Download the Steam client, and install it as an administrator.
Although not necessarily desirable, as a last resort you can try reinstalling Steam. This will ensure that the black screen no longer appears when you start it up.
Also, be sure to check out our helpful guide dedicated to fixing common Steam errors on Windows 10.
We hope that you could find our guide on how to fix the Steam black screen useful. If you know other working solutions, leave us a comment in the comment section below.