- To fix problem with this Windows Installer package, you have to use the administrative privileges.
- Your antivirus software can sometimes interfere and cause this message to appear.
- Restarting the required services is a quick and easy way to solve this issue.
From minor third-party tools to complex games and applications, one thing is certain: you need to install a program in order to use them.
There are quite a few Windows Installer errors in Windows 10, and the There is a problem with Windows Installer package error is one of the most resilient.
This isn’t the only message that you can encounter, and you can also get This installation package could not be opened error as well.
If you’re stuck with this error and you’re not sure how to deal with it, we recommend you keep reading this.
How can I fix Windows Installer package error in Windows 10/11?
1. Make sure you have administrative permissions
- Locate the setup file that you want to run.
- Right-click and choose Run as administrator from the menu.
- Now follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
As you already know, in order to install any application coming from a third-party source, you’ll need administrative permission. Luckily, you can make yourself an administrator easily on Windows.
Hence, you’ll need to authenticate using the Administrator account or have permission to make system-related changes on an alternate account.
Do keep in mind that There is a problem with this Windows Installer package can affect uninstall process as well.
2. Disable the antivirus and download the file again
- Press Windows key + X and type defender. Select Windows Security from the list.
- Navigate to the Virus & threat protection and click on Manage settings.
- Disable Real-time protection.
- Now try to install the application again.
You can also try downloading the installation file again and try to reinstall the software.
Users reported There is a problem with this windows installer package with iTunes, Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Cisco AnyConnect, but it can also affect any other software.
However, for further and stronger thread security, a specialized instrument like ESET Smart Security is highly advised.
3. Run Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter
- Visit the troubleshooter download page.
- Click on Download troubleshooter.
- Once the file is downloaded, run it.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
Once you run this software it will check and resolve installation-related errors. It’s also worth mentioning that this tool is provided by Microsoft, so you won’t need to take unnecessary risks with suspicious third-party solutions.
4. Check Windows Installer for errors
- Right-click the Start menu and and select PowerShell (Admin).
- Type the following command in the command line and press Enter: MSIExec
- If everything is good, you’ll see the pop-up window with Windows Installer details.
- If you see an error report, you should re-register Windows Installer.
In a system as complex as Windows is, you have various services that partake in everything you do. The MSI engine foundation is responsible for the installation, maintenance, and uninstallation of third-party programs.
You don’t need to be a tech enthusiast to get where this is going. If MSI engine (Windows Installer) is down, corrupted, or disabled by mistake, you’ll have a hard time installing anything.
5. Re-register Windows Installer
- Right-click Start and choose PowerShell(Admin).
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
- Close PowerShell and look for changes. If the problem is still there, move to the Step 4.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and press Enter.
- Locate Windows Installer. It should be at the bottom of the list.
- Right-click on the service and select Stop.
- Now right-click it again and choose Start.
- Restart your computer.
This is a simple solution, and it can help with There is a problem with this windows installer package error 1722 or any other error.
How can I fix Windows Installer package error on Windows 11?
This error affects all versions of Windows, and if you encounter the issue on Windows 11, you should know that all these solutions can be applied to it as well.
Windows 10 and 11 are pretty similar when it comes to core functionality, so most problems can be fixed by using the same solutions.
That should be enough to rid you of the There is a problem with this Windows Installer package installation error.
If you’re having more issues, we suggest reading our Windows Installer Service could not be accessed article for more useful solutions.
Should you know an alternative solution to this, feel free to tell us in the comments section below.