- Windows Installer Service is in charge of installing new applications, and if there’s a problem with it, you won’t be able to install anything.
- To fix this issue, you need to manually start the Windows Installer Service or re-register the service using the command line software such as Command Prompt.
- There are numerous Windows Installer errors, and if you encounter more of them, we suggest you check out our Windows Installer hub for more solutions.
- If you’re having additional problems with your Windows 10 PC, be sure to check out our Windows 10 errors section for a variety of useful guides.
We all have all sorts of applications that we use on a daily basis installed on our Windows 10 PCs. Unfortunately, few users reported Windows Installer Service could not be accessed error while trying to install new applications.
This sounds rather serious, but there’s a way to fix this error.
What can I do if Windows Installer Service could not be accessed on Windows 10?
Many users reported that they are unable to install certain applications due to Windows Installer Service could not be accessed error message. Speaking of this problem, these are some of the most common issues that users reported:
- Windows Installer Service could not be accessed Safe Mode – Many users reported this error message while trying to install applications in Safe Mode. To fix this error, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- Windows Installer not working Windows 10 – Several users reported that Windows Installer isn’t working at all on Windows 10. To fix the problem, be sure to check if the Windows Installer service is properly running.
- Windows could not start the Windows Installer Service on the local computer – If this error message appears on your PC, you might be able to fix it simply by re-registering Microsoft Installer Service.
- Windows Installer Service could not be accessed error message when installing an application – This message usually appears when trying to install new applications on your PC. Sometimes this can be caused by file corruption, so be sure to run both SFC and DISM commands.
- Windows Installer Service could not be accessed error 1719, 1601 – Error 1719 and 1601 are closely related to this error message, and if you encounter them, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- Windows Installer Service could not be accessed Adobe Reader, Skype, Kaspersky, McAfee, .Net Framework 4 – This error message can affect many applications, and if you’re having this problem, be sure to remove any previous version of the application you’re trying to install.
- Windows Installer Service could not be accessed not correctly installed – This is another problem that can occur with Windows Installer Service. If you’re having this error, be sure that your services are configured properly.
1. Reset Windows Installer Service registry
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Press Enter or click OK.
- Once Registry Editor opens, select File > Export.
- Select All as Export range, enter the name of the file and click Save. In case anything goes wrong, you can just run this file and restore your registry.
- Once you’ve created your backup, close Registry Editor.
With registry backup created, you need to create a .reg file and add it to the registry. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Notepad.
- Paste the following text into Notepad:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesmsiserver] "DisplayName"="@%SystemRoot%system32msimsg.dll,-27" "ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,72,00,6f,00,6f,00, 74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6d, 00,73,00,69,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,63,00,20,00,2f,00,56,00,00,00 "Description"="@%SystemRoot%system32msimsg.dll,-32" "ObjectName"="LocalSystem" "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001 "Start"=dword:00000003 "Type"=dword:00000010 "DependOnService"=hex(7):72,00,70,00,63,00,73,00,73,00,00,00,00,00 "ServiceSidType"=dword:00000001 "RequiredPrivileges"=hex(7):53,00,65,00,54,00,63,00,62,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76, 00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,43,00,72,00,65,00,61,00, 74,00,65,00,50,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,66,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69, 00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00, 6b,00,4d,00,65,00,6d,00,6f,00,72,00,79,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c, 00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,49,00,6e,00,63,00,72,00,65,00,61,00, 73,00,65,00,42,00,61,00,73,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,6f,00,72,00,69,00,74, 00,79,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00, 65,00,43,00,72,00,65,00,61,00,74,00,65,00,50,00,65,00,72,00,6d,00,61,00,6e, 00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00, 00,00,53,00,65,00,41,00,75,00,64,00,69,00,74,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69, 00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,53,00,65,00,63,00,75,00,72,00, 69,00,74,00,79,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00, 00,53,00,65,00,43,00,68,00,61,00,6e,00,67,00,65,00,4e,00,6f,00,74,00,69,00, 66,00,79,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53, 00,65,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,66,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,53,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00, 6c,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,63,00,65,00,73,00,73,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76, 00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,49,00,6d,00,70,00,65,00, 72,00,73,00,6f,00,6e,00,61,00,74,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c, 00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,43,00,72,00,65,00,61,00,74,00,65,00, 47,00,6c,00,6f,00,62,00,61,00,6c,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65, 00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,41,00,73,00,73,00,69,00,67,00,6e,00,50,00, 72,00,69,00,6d,00,61,00,72,00,79,00,54,00,6f,00,6b,00,65,00,6e,00,50,00,72, 00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,52,00,65,00, 73,00,74,00,6f,00,72,00,65,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67, 00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,49,00,6e,00,63,00,72,00,65,00,61,00,73,00,65,00, 51,00,75,00,6f,00,74,00,61,00,50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67, 00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,53,00,68,00,75,00,74,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,6e,00, 50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,54, 00,61,00,6b,00,65,00,4f,00,77,00,6e,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,68,00,69,00,70,00, 50,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,53,00,65,00,4c, 00,6f,00,61,00,64,00,44,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,50,00,72,00,69,00, 76,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,00,00,00,00 "FailureActions"=hex:84,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,14,00,00, 00,01,00,00,00,c0,d4,01,00,01,00,00,00,e0,93,04,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesmsiserverEnum] "0"="RootLEGACY_MSISERVER000" "Count"=dword:00000001 "NextInstance"=dword:00000001
- Click File > Save as. As the name of file enter repair.reg and set Save as type to All Files and click Save.
- Close Notepad.
- Locate the repair.reg file, right click it and choose Run as administrator.
- If prompted, click Yes.
After you’ve added repair.reg to the registry, try to install the problematic application again and check if the Windows Installer Service could not be accessed error appears.
2. Start the Windows Installer Service manually
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- Once Command Prompt opens, enter net start MSIServer and press Enter to run it.
In order to check if the Windows Installer Service is running, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter Services. Select Services from the list of results.
- When the Services window opens, locate Windows Installer service and double click it.
- Check the Service Status in order to see if the Windows Installer service is running.
- If the service isn’t running, click the Start button to start it.
3. Uninstall the older version of the program you wish to install
If you already have the older version of the program you want to install on your computer, we advise you to remove that version from your PC before trying to install the newer version.
This is a simple solution, but it might work for you, so be sure to try it out.
4. Re-register Microsoft Installer Service
- Press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt from the menu.
- If you own 64-bit version of Windows enter the following lines and press Enter after each line:
- %windir%system32msiexec.exe /unregister
- %windir%system32msiexec.exe /regserver
- %windir%syswow64msiexec.exe /unregister
- %windir%syswow64msiexec.exe /regserver
After you’ve entered all the lines, close Command Prompt and restart your computer.
If you own 32-bit version of Windows 10, you need to enter the following commands:
- msiexec /unregister
- msiexec /regserver
After you’ve entered them, close Command Prompt and restart your computer. Now check if the Windows Installer Service could not be accessed error still appears.
5. Use regsvr32 command
In order to use this command, you’ll need to start Command Prompt as an administrator. We explained how to do that in several solutions above, so make sure you check it out.
Once the Command Prompt starts, enter regsvr32 c:windowssystem32msi and press Enter to run it. Once you’ve run the command, close the Command Prompt and try to install the problematic application again.
6. Use uninstaller software
If you can’t remove a certain application due to Windows Installer Service could not be accessed error message, you might be able to solve the problem simply by using an uninstaller software.
In case you’re not familiar, uninstaller software is an application that can remove any application from your PC.
In addition to removing applications, these tools will also remove all files and registry entries associated with the application you want to remove.
If you’re looking for uninstaller software, you might want to try Revo Uninstaller and IOBit Uninstaller. All these tools are simple to use, and they can remove any application from your PC, so we encourage you to try them out.
7. Use SFC and DISM commands
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu. If the Command Prompt isn’t available, you can also use PowerShell (Admin).
- When Command Prompt starts, enter sfc /scannow and press Enter to run it.
- SFC scan will now start. Keep in mind that this can take about 15 minutes, so don’t interrupt it.
Once the scan is finished, check if the problem still persists. If the issue is still present, or if you were unable to run SFC scan, you might have to use a DISM scan instead. To do that, follow these steps:
- Start Command Prompt as administrator.
- When Command Prompt starts, run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command.
- The scanning process will now start. Keep in mind that this process can take about 20 minutes or more, so don’t interfere with it.
Once the scan is done, check if the issue still persists. If you were unable to run SFC scan before, or if SFC scan was unable to fix the problem, repeat it again and check if Windows Installer Service could not be accessed error is still there.
8. Install Windows Installer Redistributable
- Download Windows Installer Redistributable.
- After the file is downloaded, double-click it to start the installation.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
9. Delete the duplicated msiexec file
- Go to C:WindowsSystem32 directory.
- Look for msiexec.exe. Now look for another msiexec file. This file will be 0KB in size and it won’t have a .exe extension.
- Rename the duplicated msiexec file to msiexec.old.
After doing that, you just need to go to the Services window and restart the Windows Installer service.
10. Change Remote Procedure Call service settings
- Open Services window and double click Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service.
- Now navigate to the Log on tab and select Log on as Local System Account and check to Allow this service to interact with the desktop checkbox.
- Save changes and restart your PC.
Check if the problem still persists. If the issue reappears, repeat the same steps but this time select This account in Log on tab. Click the Browse button and choose Network Service from the list. Save changes and check if that solves the issue.
Windows Installer Service could not be accessed error message can create a lot of problems, but we hope that some of our solutions were helpful to you.
If you have any more questions or suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Windows Installer is a software component and Windows API used for installation and removal of software.
To fix Windows Installer, you need to run net start MSIServer command in Command Prompt or reregister the msiexec.exe file.
To update Windows Installer, just download and install the latest version from the Microsoft Support page.
Open Task Manager and go to Processes tab. Look for Windows Installer or msiexec.exe. If you manage to find one either of them, it means that Windows Installer is running in the background.