When I launch Start Tor Browser.exe it indicates that the circuit is established but then immediately gives the following error message: Firefox is already running, but not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.
- Looking for a quick solution for the Tor Browser is already running error message? The guide below will show you what to do.
- You can end the Tor process in Task Manager or try to install the browser on a different partition.
- You might also find Opera to be an interesting alternative. It always protects your privacy and speeds up your browsing.
- For more browser options at a glance, don’t hesitate to bookmark this Web Browsers Hub.
Tor is a free and open-source browser focused on anonymous communication, but many users reported Tor Browser is already running error message.
If you’re not familiar with Tor, let us remind you that it is extremely simple to download and use Tor on Windows 10, as you can see in this quick guide.
However, if you’re getting this error message while running Tor, today we’ll show you how to fix it.
Here’s how one user on Stack Exchange described this issue:
For more info on how you can do that, check the guide below.
What can I do if the Tor browser is not working?
1. Try using Opera Browser
If you’re looking for a quick and easy solution, perhaps trying a different browser might be the best option to consider. Opera is a secure choice focused on user’s convenience and security.
There’s no subscription of any kind to worry about. On the contrary, you get crypto mining protection and a built-in ad blocker that makes browsing with fewer distractions possible.
If you need an extra layer of security, you should know that Opera also has its own VPN built-in. Since it blocks many of the cookies that track you online, it’s a decent alternative to Tor.
OperaWhen Tor fails to meet your expectations, just download the Opera browser and start browsing privately right away.
2. End Tor process in Task Manager
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Task Manager.
- Once in Task Manager, under Processes, click on the Name tab to sort all the processes alphabetically.
- Now find tor.exe (or firefox.exe, if it’s the case), and in the bottom-right of the window click on End Task.
- If you see multiple Tor processes, close them all in the same manner. Few users reported that Task Manager won’t end tasks, and if that’s the case, be sure to check our guide on how to fix that.
- Now try again to open the Tor Browser.
3. Delete parent.lock file
- Go to Tor Browser > Data > Browser > profile.default > parent.lock.
- Click on the parent.lock file and then hit Del.
- Check if the problem is still there.
4. Install Tor Browser on a different partition
- Remove Tor Browser from your PC.
- Once you remove it, install it again on a different partition and check if that solves the problem.
In order to completely remove Tor Browser from your PC, we advise using an uninstaller software tool such as Revo Uninstaller.
Besides being able to easily complete this task and even remove browsers extensions, get ready for real-time monitoring of system changes & logs database.
As if these weren’t enough, remember that it successfully removes remnants of previously uninstalled programs, so you may use it even if you got rid of Tor days ago.
Revo UninstallerIf Tor Browser fails from responding, use this tool to uninstall it without leaving any traces behind.
As you can see, the steps to solve the Tor Browser is already running but is not responding error are pretty simple and easy to follow.
If you’re aware of another method to fix the issue, share it in the comments section below along with any other questions you may have.