When I launch Start Tor Browser.exe it indicates that the circuit is established but then immediately gives the following error message: Firefox is already running, but not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.
Tor Browser is already running error on Windows 10 [QUICK FIX]
Tor is a free and open source browser focused on anonymous communication, but many users reported Tor Browser is already running error message.
If you’re not familiar with Tor, here’s a quick guide on how to download and use Tor on Windows 10.
However, if you’re getting this error message while running Tor, today we’ll show you how to fix it.
Here’s how one user on Stack Exchange described this issue:
For more info on how you can do that, check the guide below.
What to do if Tor browser is not working?
1. End Tor process in Task Manager
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Task Manager.
- Once in Task Manager, under Processes, click on the Name tab to sort all the processes alphabetically.
- Now find tor.exe (or firefox.exe, if it’s the case) and in the bottom-right of the window click on End Task.
- If you see multiple Tor processes, close them all in the same manner. Few users reported that Task Manager won’t end tasks, and if that’s the case, be sure to check our guide on how to fix that.
- Now try again to open Tor Browser.
2. Try using UR Browser
If you’re looking for a quick and easy solution, perhaps trying a different browser might be the best option. UR Browser is a secure browser focused on user privacy and security.
The browser will warn you about malicious downloads and websites while preventing any cookies from tracking your online behavior.
If you need an extra layer of security, you should know that UR Browser also has its own VPN built-in, so it’s a decent alternative to Tor.
3. Delete parent.lock file
- Tor Browser > Data > Browser > profile.default > parent.lock. Click on the parent.lock file and then hit Del.
- Check if the problem is still there.
4. Install Tor Browser on a different partition
- Remove Tor Browser from your PC.
- Once you remove it, install it again on a different partition and check if that solves the problem.
In order to completely remove Tor Browser from your PC, we advise using uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller.
As you can see, the steps to solve the Tor Browser is already running, but is not responding error are pretty simple and easy to follow.
If you’re aware of another method to fix the issue, share it in the comments section below along with any other questions you may have.
Microsoft is currently testing a new Windows 10 build 18362.10005 that will allow digital assistants such as Alexa to appear on the Windows 10 lock […]
A wide range of users have reported that their computer starts-up with Devices Diagnostic Level set to Basic. More than this, it seems like the […]
Microsoft Forms is a popular service that is used by millions of people around the world to create polls and surveys, as well as quizzes. […]