- Converting a PDF file into Word can be useful in a lot of scenarios.
- Unfortunately, Adobe Acrobat may sometimes encounter issues during this process.
- If you want to read more about this amazing program, check out our dedicated Adobe Acrobat Reader hub.
- For more great guides, check out our Adobe Fix page.
Ever since 2013, Microsoft has offered us the possibility to edit PDF’s in Word. With just by a simple press of a button in the File section, you can load any PDF and edit it as if it were a Word file.
But there a few mishaps that may happen when doing this, and one of the most known is Sorry we’re having trouble converting your PDF to a Word document error.
This can be a big problem, but there’s a way to fix it.
What to do if PDF is not converting to Word correctly?
Before going along with any of the actual troubleshooting steps, make sure that the problem isn’t actually just you having an old version of your PDF reader.
Presuming that you use Adobe Acrobat Reader, all you need to do is visit the official Adobe Acrobat Reader’s homepage, download the latest version of the program, install it, and then try converting PDF files again.
2. Retain format
Your document might look perfect in any desktop PDF reader, given the fact that the reader will automatically use the correct fonts available on your local machine. However, your PDF reader may still need to substitute the missing fonts with different ones if you do not export the correct layout.
- Open Acrobat, click on Edit and select Preferences.
- Go to Convert from PDF under categories and select Word document.
- Click on Edit settings and select Retain Page Layout.
- Click OK.
- Restart Acrobat.
After doing that, check if Sorry we’re having trouble converting your PDF to a Word document error is gone.
3. Proof your PDF
If you’re getting Sorry we’re having trouble converting your PDF to a Word document error while trying to convert your document, be sure to follow these guidelines:
- Repair missing formatting.
- Fix any line breaks.
- Look for incorrect words.
- Fix instances of multiple spaces.
- Use common fonts.
- Don’t use poor quality images or scans.
When using the Export PDF service by Adobe, make sure you use the supported type of browser. For Microsoft Windows 10 you should be using Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Chrome, or Firefox. Try saving the PDF file under the PDF/X standards, as this might fix your problem.
There you go, these are just a couple of solutions that might help you fix the Sorry we’re having trouble converting your PDF to a Word document error.
- How do I convert a PDF file to a Word document that I can edit?
Open the PDF file and click the Export PDF function. Then simply select Word as the format.
- How do I convert PDF to Word for free?
Simply use Adobe Acrobat, and use the Export PDF tool to save it in a different format. In this case, choose Word. Additionally, you could also use these tools to convert PDFs to Word documents.
- Can you edit a PDF?
As long as you have the right PDF editing tool, you can do whatever you want with this type of file.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.