- Minecraft has finally received the RTX treatment announced in 2019. As of April 16 2020, you can download the beta and play Minecraft in glorious RTX.
- While the Minecraft RTX beta is free, you will need a supporting RTX graphics card and to purchase the game (if you don't already own it).
- RTX is the latest addition to Minecraft, and if you want to keep up to date on the latest Minecraft mods, guides and fixes, bookmark our Minecraft Support page.
- RTX is the way forward in gaming, and if you want to know the latest titles that support it, or how to fix them when issues arise, look no further than our extensive Gaming Hub.
As of April 16th 2020, the Minecraft RTX beta has been released, however, it is not as straight forward as you’d think to take part. Today we’re looking at how to turn on RTX in Minecraft.
After the announcement in 2019 that the game will be updated to have ray tracing support, gamers couldn’t wait for the update to come through. Now we can all breathe a sigh a relief, as it has finally been released.
How do I turn on RTX in Minecraft?
1. Install Xbox Insider Hub
- Open the Microsoft Store
- Search for Xbox Insider Hub
- Install and log in
The very first thing you will need to do is to install the Xbox Insider Hub. As the update is in beta, to turn on RTX in Minecraft you will need to become a beta tester.
Before you will start, it is highly recommended that you back up all your Minecraft worlds, as they can become corrupted when testing features which are not ready for a final release.
2. Sign up for the Minecraft RTX beta
- Open Xbox Insider Hub
- Go to Insider Content
- Click on Minecraft > Manage
- Select the radial button next to Minecraft for Windows 10 RTX Beta
- Click on Done
Once you have selected the RTX beta, you can fire up Minecraft and wait for the update notification to pop up. Additionally, you can also reinstall Minecraft after you’ve backed up your worlds.
Keep in mind that not all versions of Minecraft are getting the RTX treatment. If you want to turn on RTX on Minecraft, you will need either the Bedrock Edition or Minecraft for Windows 10.
You will see that the game update will not come straight away. During our testing, we had to wait a few hours for the game to update to the beta version, so be patient if you see a Pending message on the Insider Hub.
Be sure to check if you have the minimum system requirements to turn on RTX in Minecraft:
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
- CPU: Intel Core i5 or AMD equivalent
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 2GB (Game, plus all worlds and resource packs)
- Operating System: Windows 10 x64
3. Download resources
- Start Minecraft
- Go to Marketplace > Worlds > All Worlds
- Search for RTX
- Select the world you want and download it
nVidia has created several worlds where they show off the improvements RTX brings to Minecraft. These have been specifically curated and showcase the blocks which have the most striking effects.
4. Create your own RTX world in Minecraft
These worlds are free to download and roam, but unfortunately, you will not be able to create your own Minecraft RTX world just yet. To do this, you will need to download the resource packs provided by nVidia.
- Go to the official nVidia Minecraft RTX Page
- Download the HD Decorative Resource Pack OR the HD Foundational Resource Pack
- Note: while Minecraft will work with both packs activated, it is recommended that only one per world should be active.
- Download the Muddle RTX resource pack and the RazzleCore RTX resource pack
Once you have downloaded the resource packs, unzip them and copy the folders to the Minecraft game folder. On Windows 10, you will find it at this address:
C: > Users > [Your Username] > AppData > Local > PackagesMicrosoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe > LocalState > gamescom.mojang > resource_packs
After you copy the resource packs, start Minecraft and create a new world. In the world creation screen, go to Add-Ons > Resource Packs > My Packs > Activate the RTX resource packs.
For more information on RTX in Minecraft, visit the official nVidia game guide. Also, if you want to see the worlds created by nVidia to showcase RTX in Minecraft, you can check them out on the press release.
Let us know if you’ve managed to turn on RTX in Minecraft and what you think about it in the comments section below. We love how the game looks and we think you will too.
FAQ: Turn on RTX in Minecraft
- How do I enable RTX in Minecraft?
- Does Minecraft have RTX?
Yes, RTX is currently in beta on Minecraft for Windows 10. You can enable it by following our guide.
- How do I install Minecraft RTX?