FIX: Unable to Delete Folder in Windows 10, 8.1
I know some of our Windows 8 or Windows 10 users are having issues deleting a folder or a specific file within the operating system. You are in luck because the tutorial below will show you how to fix the ‘Unable to delete folder‘ issue and what to do in the future if you have the same issues.
First of all, if you are unable to delete a specific folder in Windows 8 or Windows 10, it might be because you don’t have enough administrative privileges on your current user. Or perhaps the file or folder is in use by another application you accidentally left open.
SOLVED: Unable to delete folder in Windows 10
- Log in as administrator
- Close active apps using the folder
- Clean Boot your PC
- Additional troubleshooting solutions
1. Log in as administrator
You will first need to find out if you have enough privileges on your Windows 8 or Windows 10 device to delete a specific folder.
- Reboot your Windows 8 or Windows 10 device.
- Log in with your administrator account and password.
- Go to the directory where the folder is and try to delete it.
- If you are prompt by an UAC window you will need to left click on the “OK” button.
2. Close active apps using the folder
Make sure you don’t have an application that uses the folder you are trying to delete.
Example: If you have a movie or music in the folder you are trying to delete and the files are used by a music player or video player then you will not be able to delete that specific folder until you close all the applications that uses those files.
Note: If you closed the applications and you still have the same error message while trying to delete the specific folder then you should reboot your Windows 8 or Windows 10 device and try again.
3. Clean Boot your PC
Try Entering the Safe mode feature in Windows 8 or Windows 10 and try to delete the folder from there.
You might have an application that is present in the startup feature of Windows and by using the safe mode feature your system will start only with the programs necessary for Windows 8 or Windows 10 to run.
4. Additional troubleshooting solutions
In the problem persists, here are some additional workarounds that may help you fix it:
- Check your antivirus: Sometimes your antivirus software may prevent you from deleting particular files or folders. You can try to temporarily disable it, delete the respective files/ folders and them re-enable your antivirus.
- Delete the file/folder with Command Prompt: Launch Command Prompt as admin and enter del alongside the location of the folder/file you want to delete, and hit Enter. Eg: del c:usersMarkDesktoptext.txt).
- Use Microsoft’s Troubleshooter
For a step-by-step guide, you can check out this post.
There you have it, you don’t really need to be a computer specialist to do the steps above and you can delete your folder in Windows 8 or Windows 10 in just a couple of seconds if you pay attention to the steps above. Please write us below for any questions you may have about this issue and we will help you further in the shortest time possible.
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: Windows 10 deleted items are not in Recycle Bin
- FIX: Filename contains a virus and was deleted
- How to recover deleted/archived Outlook messages on Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2014 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Blu-ray is, without doubt, the most powerful video content hub today, which is a marked improvement to the preceding DVD medium. However, its convenience of […]
Microsoft PowerPoint presentations usually contain important, sometimes classified, documents. Hence, most people tend to password-protect such documents against unauthorized access. However, what happens if you […]
The reception desk is the face and voice of any organization. An automated receptionist software simplifies the entire process of visitor management. Whether it’s the customer, […]