- Instagram is one of the most powerful social media platforms on the Internet.
- The article below shows you how to fix the An unknown network error has occurred on Instagram issue.
- To read up more about this amazing platform, check out our Instagram Hub.
- For more helpful fixes, you can also visit our Windows 10 Errors page.
The annoying An unknown network error on Instagram can show up when you attempt to log in to your Instagram account on a smartphone.
Instagram gives this error after mainly due to network reasons, but it could also signal other more deep-seated issues.
Since there is no specific cause of this error, we resolve it by following the quick steps contained in this guide. Here’s what to do when you get the An unknown network error on Instagram.
What do I fix the unknown network error on Instagram?
When you try to log in to your Instagram account, and it returns this dreaded error, before taking any further action, exit the application, and restart your phone.
Power off the smartphone completely, and then turn it back on. When the phone is on, open Instagram and try to log in again.
Generally, restarting solves the issue. However, if it does not, continue to the next solution below.
- Put your phone in airplane mode and turn off airplane mode after a few seconds.
- Restart your router if the first step fails.
- Connect to a different internet network.
Although the error says that the network error is unknown, one thing that we know for sure is that the issue likely stems from your internet connection. This is why we now try to fix any network problems.
Internet connections are massively reliant on the date and time of your device. Wrong date and time settings can, therefore, cause Instagram to throw up the error and prevent you from logging in.
How to set date and time in iOS
- Open the Settings app.
- Next, tap General.
- In the General settings menu, select Date & Time.
- Finally, you could update the time manually, but it’s better to Set Automatically by tapping this option.
How to set date and time in Android
- Open the Settings app.
- Open General management next.
- In Settings, tap Date & Time.
- Next, tap Automatic to update it automatically according to your detected timezone.
How to update Instagram on Android
- Open Google Play store.
- Tap on the menu and select My apps & games.
- From the list, find the Instagram app and tap Update.
How to update Instagram on iOS
- Open the App Store.
- Next, scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Today.
- Tap on the icon of your profile.
- Finally, scroll down the screen to the pending updates and release notes area and tap update next to the Instagram app.
For this solution, we update the Instagram app. If you can’t log in Instagram due to the unknown network error, it may be because the app is outdated.
To recap, the full message is An unknown network error has occurred, and this usually comes up when you try to log in to Instagram on mobile.
There’s no way to know for sure the cause of this error, and the only button under this vague error message is Dismiss.
Fortunately, when you can’t log in Instagram because of the unknown network error, these methods above are pretty straightforward and effective. You can complete them within minutes.
FAQ: Learn more about Instagram
- I got notified of a login attempt on Instagram. What to do?
If a suspicious login attempt was made on your Instagram account, follow the steps from this detailed guide.
- When does the error usually trigger?
This error usually appears when you try logging into Instagram. for more details on Instagram login issues, follow this detailed article.
- Can I use a bot to post on Instagram for me?
There are a couple of software tools that allow you to automatically post things on Instagram, but they can’t be considered bots.