- Amazon S3 is a great service, which presents a massive remote storage service for saving your system's data.
- It is very essential for organizations or any business to constantly back up their work against unforeseen situations.
- Maximizing file upload to S3 requires basic tweaks in the configuration files.
Amazon S3 is essential for organizations or businesses to have backups of their work data constantly. This process ensures good continuity as well as accountability.
An efficient idea to see this is through Amazon Simple Storage Solution (Amazon S3). It is an excellent service, which presents a massive remote storage service for saving your system’s data.
This article presents you with best practices to upload large files to S3 from the browser in the remotest way possible.
These practices cut across optimization of files to S3; how to upload files more significant than 100 megabytes and means to upload your files at a maximum speed, all via the use of Amazon S3. However, it is all very straightforward if you follow the laid down rules here.
How can I optimize uploads of large files to Amazon S3?
1. Install and configure the Amazon AWS CLI
- Visit this page to find Amazon‘s detailed installation instructions.
- Configure the access ID, user profiles, and key using the following command:
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
AWS Access Key ID [None]: <AccessID>
AWS Secret Access Key [None]: secretkey
Default region name [None]: us-east-1
Default output format [None]: json
If you’re using the AWS Command Line Interface (AWS CLI), customize the configurations to ease the faster upload of large files to S3 from browsers.
2. Create a batch file
- Press the Windows key, input Notepad, and launch it.
- Enter the following line of command into the blank Notepad file:
aws s3 sync
- Press the CTRL + S and save the file with the .BAT extension.
- Next, click on the Start Menu button and search for the task scheduler.
- Open Task Scheduler. (If it fails to open, fix it with this guide)
- Click on the Actions menu, choose to Create Task, edit the Name, and describe the new task.
- Choose a one-time, daily, weekly, or monthly trigger.
- Click on the Actions tab and Create basic task from the resulting dropdown menu.
- Find the batch file you created in step 3.
- Save the task.
After successfully saving the newly created task, you no longer have to back up your data to Amazon S3 manually because the Task Scheduler will do it for you at the configured interval.
How do I upload a file greater than 100 megabytes on Amazon S3?
The maximum file size that you can upload by using the Amazon S3 console is 160 GB. The S3 would then lead us to provide means to upload files greater than 100 megabytes on Amazon S3.
Run a high-level (aws s3) command
- Place the file in the same directory as where you are running the command from.
- Run the following cp command:
aws s3 cp cat.png s3://docexamplebucket
- Amazon S3 automatically performs a multipart upload for large objects.
How to upload your files at the maximum speed
Use a multipart upload. A large file is split into multiple parts in multipart upload and uploaded separately to Amazon S3.
After uploading the parts, Amazon S3 combines the elements into a single file. This multipart upload will result in faster uploads and lower chances of failure with large files.
The tips highlighted above are the best practices to keep in mind to upload large files to s3 from the browser effectively.
Amazon S3 storage is excellent, and to access it quickly, and you’ll need appropriate software, such as the S3 browser application. Moreover, several applications work with S3. You can check for the best S3 browser software here. You can also safeguard your Amazon AWS data with a suitable antivirus.
Should you have further suggestions, questions, or possible ways to upload your files on Amazon S3, kindly drop them in the comment section below.