Why USB-C is not working on Windows 10 and how to fix it
With the new USB-C connection type, there’s a whole lot more you can achieve than with either USB-A or USB-B type of connections. Still, you may probably use them today.
With the USB-C connection, you not only can charge your computer, but also connect to other USB-C type of devices you have with you like your smartphone, media player, portable speaker, display adapter, charger, or a docking station.
However, you may encounter USB-C not working Windows 10 probably because of some hardware and software combinations.
This shouldn’t worry you because not only will you get notifications to let you know about the USB-C not working Windows 10 problem, but there are ways to fix it too.
How to fix USB-C not working on Windows 10
Here are some notifications you will probably come across when you experience the USB-C not working Windows 10 problem:
- Slow USB charger connected
- You might be able to fix your USB device
- PC or phone isn’t charging
- Display connection might be limited
- The USB device might not work
- Use different USB port
- USB or Thunderbolt device functionality might be limited
- USB device might not be working properly
- These two PCs or mobile devices cannot communicate
When you get such notifications owing to the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue, there are solutions to fixing each one of them, and here are some solutions you can try depending on what is displayed.
Slow USB charger connected
If this is the notification you get when experiencing the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue, it may have these causes:
- Your charger is incompatible with your computer or device
- It doesn’t have enough power to charge your computer or device. A computer or device with USB-C connectors has larger power limits, so if the connector supports USB power delivery, charging will be faster and at greater levels of power.
- The charger is not connected to a charging port on your computer or device
- The charging cable doesn’t meet the power needs for the charger itself, the computer or device
- There’s dirt or dust within the USB port on your computer or device that may prevent the charger from proper insertion
- The charger is connected to your computer or device from through an external dock, or hub
In order to fix this problem, it is recommended that you use the charger, and cable that came with your computer or device so as to speed up charging. This is because the charger and cable support industry standards and power limits for your computer or device.
Other operation to resolve the slow charging for fixing the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue, is to make sure to connect the charger to the USB-C charging port on your device, and in the case of dust or dirt, use compressed air to clean the ports on your device.
Does this fix the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue? If not, see the next notification error if it applies and try the steps described.
- ALSO READ: 5 best USB-C 3.1 cables to buy in 2017
You might be able to fix your USB device
When this notification pops up, it means your USB device or computer ran into a problem. The possible causes include a problem with the device or computer driver or a different problem altogether.
You can try and fix it first by noting the error code on your computer or device, and depending on the error code you see, use the steps below:
Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter using the steps below:
- Right click Start
- Select Control Panel
- Go to View by option on the top right corner
- Click the drop down arrow and select Large icons
- Click Troubleshooting
- Click View all option on the left pane
- Click Hardware and Devices
- Click Next and follow the instructions to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter, which will then begin to detect any issues.
Update the device driver through Windows Update by doing the following:
- Click Start
- Select Settings
- Click Updates & Security
- Click Windows Update
- In the Windows Update settings window, click Check for Updates, and install all updates listed.
Windows will immediately detect your system’s configuration and download appropriate ones.
Update the driver through your computer or device’s manufacturer website
If the device was preinstalled on the computer, you install after purchasing the computer, or preinstalled on the computer and the device’s manufacturer has no updated drivers for it, you need to update de driver.
Go to the Software and Drivers sub-section (depending on the laptop brand this name can change), or search for drivers using Google so you can get a direct link to your device’s manufacturer website.
Once you’re on the website, find and download, then install the appropriate drivers missing from your laptop that can cause Windows 10 not showing disk drive.
Update drivers automatically
In order to prevent PC damage by installing the wrong driver versions, we recommend using Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool. This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus and you can follow this quick guide how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- The program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some functions of this tool are not free.
If you were not able to fix the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue because you can’t find the error codes, you can check Device Manager for the error codes using the steps below:
- Right click Start
- Select Device Manager
- Right click on the device with the problem
- Click Properties
- Check the error code in the Device Status area of the Properties dialog box
Note: if the error code is on your Windows phone, swipe down from the top of your phone’s screen to open action center. The notification will appear therein with the error code.
Does fixing the error codes resolve the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue? If not, see the next notification error if it applies and try the steps described.
PC or phone isn’t charging
The possible causes for this include:
- An incompatible charger
- A charger with less power limits so it cannot charge your computer or device
- The charger isn’t connected to the charging port on your computer or device
- The charging cable doesn’t meet the power needs for the charger, for your computer or even for your device
- Dirt or dust in the USB ports may prevent correct insertion of the charger
- The charger is connected through an external hub or dock
In order to resolve these possible causes, you can use the charger and cable that came included with your computer or device, ensure you’re connecting the charger to the USB-C port on your computer or device, and use compressed air to clean the ports before inserting the USB-C connector.
Display connection might be limited
Some of the reasons that the display connection may be limited include that the connected device or dongle:
- Has new features for the USB-C connector that your computer or device does not support
- Is not connected to the correct port on your computer or device
- Is connected to your computer or device from an external dock or hub
- Is competing with many other devices or dongles connected to your computer or device that use USB-C connection
- Has new features for USB-C connectors that the cable does not support
Note: USB-C connector has Alternate Modes that allow other non-USB connectors to be used with it. These modes include DisplayPort, HDMI and MHL as alternate display modes.
Solutions to resolving the above causes are to ensure your computer (or phone), external display, and cable support DisplayPort or MHL alternate modes.
Also ensure the device or dongle is directly connected to your computer or phone, and connected to the USB-C port on your computer or phone, which supports the correct Alternate Mode.
You can also try and use a different cable and see if that fixes the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue.
The USB device might not work
If you get this notification when you experience the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue, it may be brought about by the Windows version on your computer or device not supporting the driver for the connected device.
You can also ensure your Windows device has all the latest Windows updates by doing the following:
- Go to Start
- Swipe over to the All Apps list
- Select Settings
- Select Update & Security
- Select Phone Update
- Select Check for Updates so as to check for the latest Windows updates and device drivers.
Note: if your device already has the latest updates and drivers, try connecting to a Windows PC and see if the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue goes away.
Use a different USB port
Here, you’ll get either of two types of notifications:
- The USB port doesn’t support DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, or MHL. Plug the device into a different USB port on your PC, or
- The USB device might have limited functionality when connected to this port. Plug the device into a different USB port on your PC
The possible causes for this is either the connected device or dongle isn’t connected to the correct USB-C port on your computer or device, or it is connected using an external hub or dock.
To fix this, ensure the device or dongle is connected directly to your computer or phone, and then connect it to the correct USB-C port that supports the device or dongle’s features.
- ALSO READ: The best USB-C to micro USB adapters to buy
USB or Thunderbolt device functionality might be limited
The reasons you get this notification when experiencing the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue are similar to those in number 4 above.
Solutions for the above causes are to ensure your computer or device, as well as the cable, supports similar USB-C features as the connected device, and that the device or dongle is directly connected to your computer.
Also ensure you connect directly the device or dongle to your computer or phone, and make sure to the USB-C port on your computer or phone, which supports the correct Alternate Mode.
You can also check if you’re using the right cable, and see if that fixes the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue.
USB device might not be working properly
If your USB device might not be working properly, it could be that your computer or device cannot power the connected device because it isn’t supported, or the amount of power has temporarily been limited to the device because your PC is running on battery power.
The issue may appear if the computer or device is providing power to other connected devices so it limits power, or it requires more power than what your computer or device can provide.
In this case, try using a different computer or device, plug a power adapter to your USB device, plug your computer into an external power source so that it’s not running on battery power, and disconnect other USB devices you’re not using, from your computer.
These two PCs or mobile devices cannot communicate
When you get this notification due to the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue, it can appear when you cannot connect two Windows computers or devices together with the USB-C connection, or the particular connections are not supported. In this case, try and connect your Windows computer to a Windows device instead.
Have any of these pointers helped you resolve the USB-C not working Windows 10 issue? Let us know in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- The 20 best USB-C to HDMI adapters for Windows 10 PC
- Top 3 USB-C monitors to buy
- This new USB-C multi-port hub acts as a docking station for your Windows 10 laptop
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2017 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Intel Optane memory is a smart technology that keeps track of your frequently used apps, documents, pictures, and videos and remembers them after shutdown. This […]
The Windows Snipping tool, now replaced by the Snip and Sketch tool is a handy tool and allows the users to take quick and delayed […]
Microsoft recently released Monthly Rollup Preview KB4507437 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Windows 8.1 users weren’t left behind as they can […]