USB to HDMI adapters enable users to connect their desktops or laptops to secondary display devices via HDMI. However, USB to HDMI adapters doesn’t always work for some users. A few users have posted on the Microsoft forum about their USB to HDMI adapters not working.
How do I fix the USB to HDMI adapter issues?
Update the USB to HDMI adapter’s driver
A USB to HDMI adapter issues can be due to an incorrectly installed or incompatible device driver. Thus, updating the USB to HDMI adapter’s driver can potentially fix it.
You can download the latest driver for your USB to HDMI driver from its company’s website. Then install the downloaded driver, and restart Windows.
Alternatively, you can update the USB to HDMI adapter’s driver with third-party driver updater software like Driver Booster 7.
Driver Booster 7 is an incredibly versatile and useful software that will ensure that your system will never have out of date drivers installed.
Beyond this, the program can run in the background without affecting your system’s speed. Once a new driver has been released, the software will automatically download and install the exact driver required by your system.
IObit Driver Booster 7This powerful software ensures that your system will always be updated with the latest releases of drivers available on the web, thus ensuring that your PC will work as efficient as possible.
Rollback a Windows 10 build update
- Some users have said that their USB to HDMI adapters stopped working after Windows 10 build updates. To roll back a recent Windows 10 build update, open the search box by clicking Type here to search on the taskbar.
- Next, type updates in the search box.
- Click Check for updates to open Settings as in the shot below.
- You can roll back a Windows 10 build update for 10 days after an update. Click the Get started button under the Go back to the previous version of Windows 10 subheading.
- Then go through the guidelines to roll back the platform.
Connect your adapter to an alternative USB port
There might be an issue with the USB port you’re connecting your USB to HDMI adapter with. So, try connecting your USB to HDMI adapter with another port on your desktop or laptop.
Scan for hardware changes
- Windows might recognize a connected USB to HDMI adapter after you scan for hardware changes. To do so, right-click Windows 10 Start button to select Device Manager on the Win + X menu.
- Select your PC at the top of Device Manager.
- Click Action to open that menu.
- Select the Scan for hardware changes option.
- Then try utilizing the USB to HDMI adapter after scanning.
The above resolutions might fix USB to HDMI adapters for some users, but maybe not everybody. Some users might need to change their adapters.
Users with adapters still within their warranty periods can also return them to manufacturers for repairs if they still don’t work.
FAQ: Learn more about USB to HDMI adapter
- What are the best USB-C to HDMI adapters?
Owning the right USB-C to HDMI adapter is very important for the output image quality. Have a look at our comprehensive best USB-C to HDMI adapters guide.
- Can you connect a USB to HDMI?
Yes, you can connect a USB to an HDMI port, but you will need to have a USB to HDMI converter box.
- Is USB the same as HDMI?
No, the USB ports and cables are used for data transfers mostly, while the HDMI cables are used to connect a device to an external display.