- If your USB-C to HDMI adapter is not working, the issue might be connected to the dedicated driver.
- So we're recommending updating the USB to HDMI driver using a specialized tool.
- Alternatively, recently installed Windows 10 updates can lead to problems with cables and ports.
- Of course, the problem might also be hardware-related, meaning the adapter itself.
USB to HDMI adapters enable users to connect their desktops or laptops to secondary display devices via HDMI, even if they don’t have an HDMI port on their device.
However, USB to HDMI adapters doesn’t always work for some Windows 10 users. A few have even posted on the Microsoft forum about their USB to HDMI adapters not working.
I am using HP-21 Pavilion all in one desktop. My machine is not having VGA or HDMI port. On this machine (Windows 10) I was using display link USB-HDMI Display Adapter to connect projector and Second Monitor. It worked very well. But after windows 10 anniversary updates it stopped working. I tried with latest Display Link drivers. When I insert USB adapter in USB port built in screen becomes black.
How do I fix the USB to HDMI adapter issues?
1. Update the USB to HDMI driver
- Press the Windows Key + S and type in Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, expand Other Devices.
- Right-click on your USB device and select Update Driver.
A USB to HDMI adapter issue can be due to an incorrectly installed or incompatible device driver. Thus, updating the USB to the HDMI adapter’s driver can potentially fix it.
Update drivers automatically
You can download the latest driver for your USB to HDMI driver from its company’s website. With a little research, you should find the correct driver.
However, the best way to update your drivers is by using a specialized third-party tool that will automatically scan your hardware for the latest available version and download it.
Various errors are the result of a malfunctioning driver. When this is the case, you may need to update or reinstall completely this specific component. As the process is not straight-forward to complete, we recommend using an automated tool for the job. Here's how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the app.
- Wait for the software to detect all your faulty drivers.
- You will now be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your Windows safe from any type of errors caused by corrupted drivers, by installing and using DriverFix today!
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Rollback a Windows 10 build update
- Open the search box by pressing the Windows Key + S.
- Next, type Updates in the search box.
- Click Recovery to open Settings.
- Then, click the Get started button under Go back to the previous version of Windows 10 subheading.
- You can roll back a Windows 10 build update for 10 days after an update.
- Then go through the guidelines to roll back the platform.
Some users have said that their USB to HDMI adapters stopped working after Windows 10 build updates. To roll back a recent Windows 10 build update, use the method above.
3. Connect to an alternative USB port/ Change hub
There might be an issue with the USB port you’re connecting your USB to the HDMI adapter with. So, try connecting your USB to an HDMI adapter with another port on your desktop or laptop.
Alternatively, if you’re using a USB to HDMI hub and have a spare one, switch between them to see if this is not a hardware issue.
Here’s an awesome list of the best plug-and-play USB hubs on the market nowadays. They will help you connect and switch between multiple devices without plugging and unplugging them.
4. Scan for hardware changes
- Right-click the Windows 10 Start button to select Device Manager on the Win + X menu.
- Select your PC at the top of Device Manager.
- Click Action to open that menu.
- Select the Scan for hardware changes option.
- Then try utilizing the USB to HDMI adapter after scanning.
Windows might recognize a connected USB to HDMI adapter after you scan for hardware changes.
The above resolutions might fix USB to HDMI adapters for some users, but maybe not everybody. Some users might need to change their adapters.
Are you having other USB-related problems? Here is a useful article dedicated to fixing the USB-C if it’s not working properly on your device.
Users with adapters still within their warranty periods can also return them to manufacturers for repairs if they still don’t work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Owning the right USB-C to HDMI adapter is very important for the output image quality. Have a look at our comprehensive list of the best USB-C to HDMI adapters guide.
Yes, you can connect a USB to an HDMI port, but you will need to have one product from this useful list of the best USB to HDMI adapters on the market.
No, the USB ports and cables are used for data transfers mostly, and HDMI for external display. Here’s a great list of the best HDMI cables on the market.