- Video compression software is extremely useful if you need to reduce the size of the video file you want to work with.
- In order to compress the video file without affecting the quality too much, you will need to use specialized software.
- Adobe Premiere Pro has all the required tools to perform a successful video compression easily.
- Don't forget to check our comprehensive Video Editing Hub for more information on this subject.
Thanks to the latest advancements in video technology, we tend to shoot videos in the best possible quality our devices can handle. This pursuit of this high quality videos increases the size of your video files.
Most people tend to create videos to share them with family and friends. The video file size can become a problem because of the size limitations that are imposed on social media apps, email servers, etc. Another problem with large file sizes is that they automatically take a lot longer to upload if you have a slow internet connection.
Another reason for which you would need your video project to be smaller is for saving space on your storage. No matter if it’s a PC hard-drive, USB device or a camera data storage card, we can all benefit from having more storage space available.
If you can relate to the problems presented above, you can use the video compression software listed in this guide and reduce the file size without affecting the quality of the video.
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro is a very powerful tool that offers you the capability to compress and edit your video files with the comfort of using a friendly UI.
This amazing software works with a wide variety of file formats so that you never feel that you’re missing an option.
Here are some of the best features found in Adobe Premiere Pro:
- Allows import and export of any video file format
- Quick processing of data, even for high-quality video files
- Works best with Adobe After Effects
- Wide range of tutorials can be found online
- Offers a very useful 7-day free trial
- Connected to an extensive library of resources
- Fully compatible with any Adobe product
This software is a great tool that allows you to compress the size of your video files with ease. AnyVideo Converter supports various video inputs: MP4, MPEG, VOB, WMV, 3GP, 3G2, MKV, MOD, M2TS, etc. It also supports a wide range of video outputs, including WMV, MPG, MP4, AVI, ASF, M2TS, 3GP, 3G2, FLV, etc.
AnyVideo Converter comes in both free and paid versions. Even though the paid version has some additional features, the free version is a very useful and complete tool.
Key features include:
- HEVC/H.265 Video Coding
- Fast speed and high video quality
- HEVC – enables video to be compressed to half the size of source file without losing quality
- Rip and extract audio from CDs and videos
- Burn video to DVD or AVCHD DVD
- Edit video codecs, dimension, bitrate, frame rate, sample rate, channel, video/audio quality, etc.
Pinnacle Studio 22
With the wide range of input files this program provides you will never have to worry about the compatibility of your camera or video file formats.
Pinnacle is an advanced video editing tool created for both beginners and professionals, offering a simplified video editing process, but with great options.
You can easily reduce the size of any video, but even more than that, you can edit your videos further by adding effects and enhancing color.
Pinacle Studio 22 comes in 3 versions :
- Pinnacle Studio offering over 1,500+ effects, titles, and templates, 6-track HD video editing, multi-camera screen recorder, stop motion animation and more.
- Pinnacle Studio Plus that brings 1,800+ effects, titles, and templates, 24-track HD video editing, wide-angle lens correction, pro-level audio tools and all the other options included in Studio version.
- Pinnacle Studio Ultimate. This version brings over 2,000+ effects, titles, and templates, unlimited HD and 4K video editing, 3D Motion Objects, effects from NewBlueFX, motion tracking with mosaic blur and all the other features that are packed in Studio Plus.
⇒ Download now Pinnacle Studio 22 from the official website
— RELATED: 6 best video animation software to use
VideoProc is a really powerful video processing software that you can use to edit, cut, crop, merge and compress videos in 4K.
This is the perfect solution when it comes to editing oversized videos recorded from GoPro, DJI, 4K cameras, denoising, cutting, filtering, splitting, merging and subtitling.
Besides these features, VideoProc is a video converter and compressor expert that helps transcode HEVC / H.264 videos, convert any videos, audios and DVDs – MKV to MP4, M4A to MP3, and DVD to MP4, and even make the media content playable on large TV screens or portable devices.
Key features include:
- Built in 370+ video and audio codecs
- YouTube to MP3, iPhone ringtone
- Customize video quality and file size
- Record video from computer’s screen or webcam
- Process videos fast and denoise easily
- Stabilize videos from GoPro DJI
Freemake Video Converter
Freemake Video Converter is another great software option that can compress and convert videos into hundreds of formats. The tool is compatible with all the latest cameras and video devices.
You can use Freemake Video Converter freely without any hidden fees or limitations.
Freemake Video Converter supports a wide range of formats – MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, MP3, DVD, 3GP, SWF, FLV, etc.
You can also import photos or audio files and add them to your video, and transform multiple clips at once. The codecs included: H.264, MKV, MPEG4, AAC.
Handbrake is an open-source software and one of the best video compression software, and it’s available for free. It bolsters advanced features that can be used by both professionals and beginners.
Key features include:
- Built-in device presets
- Supported input sources – multimedia files and DVD or BluRay
- Video filters – deinterlacing, decomb, denoise, cropping, scaling, etc.
- Title/chapter and range selection
- Batch scan of encoders
- Chapter markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Video bitrate encoding
These are the best video compression software for Windows. With the information provided in this article, you can now the tool that best suits your needs.
Do you use any other good video compression software? Let us know in the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about video compression
- What is the best way to compress a video?
The most efficient and fast way to compress a video file is to download the latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro.
- How can I send a large video file?
In order to be able to send large video files, you will need to choose one of the software options presented in the guide above, and compress the file.
- What is video compression?
Video compression is the process in which a specialized software is used to reduce the data for the encoding of the file.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2018 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.