A virtual machine (VM) is an operating system installed on special software that imitates dedicated hardware.
By using a virtual machine, you can run multiple operating systems on a single machine. Moreover, you can easily divide your hardware resources between multiple virtual machines.
Virtualization comes with the major advantage of providing additional security since each virtual machine is running in an isolated environment independent of your operating system.
The virtual machine also allows you to save the current machine state to a file and easily restore it or copy it to a different system.
Do note that virtual machines usually have few disadvantages and most of them are related to hardware usage.
They utilize the host’s hardware, and if there are multiple machines running, and not sufficient hardware, power performance issues can occur.
Useful virtual machine tips and tools
- Install VMware Tools grayed out / unavailable [Full Fix]
- Could not create the Java virtual machine [Fixed]
- Best antivirus for VMware virtual machines [2020 Guide]
- 4 best virtual machines for Windows 10
- Top 3 browsers to run VMware Web Client with zero lag
For more tips on virtualization software, including VMware, Windows Virtual Desktop, and Hyper-v, just visit our Virtualization Hub.