- If you have an Arris modem/router that supports VPN client mode, you can set up a VPN account so that all your household devices can take advantage of secure VPN connections.
- However, if the Arris router supports only VPN server mode, you need to purchase a separate router for VPN client setup. On the bright side, you can set Arris in bridged mode to turn it into a modem.
- Join our Router section to discover the best devices and how to configure them.
- If you need more help with your VPN, visit our VPN Troubleshooting Hub.
If you’re wondering how to set up a VPN on an Arris modem, we’re here to guide you every step of the way.
But first, you should understand the difference between a modem and a router. A modem is a device in charge of connecting your home network with the public Internet.
Meanwhile, a router is responsible for making your home network‘s devices talk to each other without having to use the public Internet.
It also forwards requests from the modem to the intended device in the intranet. A VPN can be installed on a router, not a modem.
All you need is an Arris router that supports VPN client mode and a premium VPN subscription.
- Private Internet Access - Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
- NordVPN - Secure multiple devices and enjoy stable connections anywhere.
- SurfShark - Price convenient VPN service with all-rounded security features.
- CyberGhost - Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
- ExpressVPN - Browse the web from multiple devices with increased security protocols.
How do I set up a VPN on my Arris router?
- Sign up for a PIA subscription plan.
- Go to the PIA website and log in to the Client control panel.
- Scroll down until you spot PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password.
- Write down your User and Password*.
- Make sure your Arris router is connected to the modem.
- Visit the Arris router admin panel.
- Log in with your admin account.
- Click the Firewall tab and check the Enable PPTP Pass Through box.
- Click the WAN Setup tab and select PPTP.
- In PPTP Settings
- Check the Enable PPTP box.
- Set Account to your PIA User you copied.
- Set and confirm the Password** to the PIA Password you copied.
- At Server Address, write us-east.privateinternetaccess.com***.
- Leave the remaining settings blank.
- Click Apply.
- Ask Google what’s your IP address to see if it changed.
- Enjoy secure browsing, torrenting, streaming, and gaming!
*If you’re worried that your PPTP login credentials might become compromised over time, you can update them by clicking Regenerate Username and Password.
**Make sure you’re not trying to use the PIA login data, which is different from the PPTP credentials.
***This is just an example. Feel free to explore the PIA network for additional VPN servers.
What about Arris TG1672G VPN setup?
If you’re wondering how to config a VPN on an Arris TG1672G router, you can’t. Instead, you can turn it into a modem by putting it in bridge mode, purchase a VPN router, and use it to connect to a VPN client.
For instance, if you have NordVPN, check out VPN routers that work with NordVPN and buy one to set up with your custom-made Arris modem.
This way, you don’t have to configure the Arris modem to allow VPN since you have to use the new router instead.
Why install a VPN on your Arris router
You might be unsure about installing a VPN on your Arris router, especially if it means purchasing a VPN router because your current device doesn’t support VPN client connections.
Since your router is running all the time, it means that your VPN connection will always be up. In turn, it translates to continuous, uninterrupted online protection for all connected devices.
Additionally, a VPN account limits the number of simultaneous connections. For example, PIA supports 10 connections.
That means that 10 devices share the VPN account and stay connected to PIA’s servers at the same time.
But, if you need more devices, the VPN account limit doesn’t matter for router setup because it counts as only one connection.
If your Arris router supports 200 connections, for instance, then 200 devices can use VPN.
More importantly, you don’t have to worry about IP or DNS leaks during Internet connection drops, which is typically covered by the VPN client’s kill switch.
It’s because your Arris router will auto-connect to the VPN once the Internet connection is re-established.
Are there any downsides?
There are some minor inconveniences to using a VPN on your Arris router. For example, if you need to change the VPN server address, you have to access the router‘s admin panel each time.
Plus, all devices will be connected to the same VPN server. If one person wants to unblock Netflix UK and another wants to unblock Netflix US, they can’t do this simultaneously because they’re bound to the same VPN server location.
Why use Private Internet Access
Developed by Kape Technologies, Private Internet Access (PIA) is the best VPN overall, and that’s why we used it in our Arris router VPN setup instructions.
You can also set up OpenVPN manual configuration mode if your device supports it since it’s more secure than PPTP.
Furthermore, PIA uses military-grade encryption to protect your data from hackers. It has exclusive DNS servers to secure your DNS requests.
And, if you stumble upon technical difficulties, you can turn to the 24/7 live chat support.
More about PIA:
- +3,300 VPN servers in 48 countries
- Compatible with all major platforms
- No logs or leaks
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access
Protect your entire household devices by installing PIA’s VPN configurations on your Arris router.
In conclusion, it’s not challenging at all to set up a VPN on an Arris router. You just need a VPN router and a premium VPN subscription.
In just a few minutes, you will be able to share your VPN traffic with all nearby devices.
Your connection is not secure - websites you visit can find out your details:
- Your IP Address:
Companies can sell this information, alongside your location and internet provider name, and profit from it by serving targeted ads or monitoring your data usage.
We recommend Private Internet Access, a VPN with a no-log policy, open source code, ad blocking and much more; now 79% off.
Frequently Asked Questions
A VPN router is a router that supports VPN connections. However, there’s a huge difference between VPN server and client mode. A VPN server means that your router allows devices to remotely connect to the LAN. A VPN client means that you can hide your IP and spoof your location by directly inputting the VPN client’s info in the router.
Open any web browser and type http://192.168.0.1/ in the address bar. It takes you to the Arris login screen. The default username and password should be written on the back of the router.
Yes, you should install a VPN on a router if you want to connect all your household devices to the VPN, change your IP address, unblock streaming services, access blocked sites, find better deals online, and more. Plus, the VPN connection will always be on, and you don’t have to worry about leaks.