- If you have an Arris modem/router that supports VPN client mode, you can set up a VPN account so that all your household devices can take advantage of secure VPN connections.
- However, if the Arris router supports only VPN server mode, you need to purchase a separate router for VPN client setup.
- On the bright side, you can set Arris in bridged mode to turn it into a modem or install third-party firmware that supports OpenVPN.
- Check our installation guidelines as well as our recommendations for the best VPN clients you can use.
If you’re wondering how to set up a VPN on an Arris modem, we’re here to guide you every step of the way.
But first, you should understand the difference between a modem and a router. A modem is a device in charge of connecting your home network with the public Internet.
Meanwhile, a router is responsible for making your home network’s devices talk to each other without having to use the public Internet.
It also forwards requests from the modem to the intended device in the intranet. A VPN can be installed on a router, not a modem.
All you need is an Arris modem that can connect with a router and a subscription with your preferred VPN compatible with routers.
How do I set up a VPN on my Arris router?
- Sign up for a VPN that supports your router. (We tested PIA and it perfectly worked)
- Open your Arris router settings panel.
- Scroll down until you spot PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password.
- Write down your User and Password*.
- Make sure your Arris router is connected to the modem.
- Visit the Arris router admin panel.
- Log in with your admin account.
- Click the Firewall tab and check the Enable PPTP Pass Through box.
- Click the WAN Setup tab and select PPTP.
- In PPTP Settings
- Check the Enable PPTP box.
- Set Account and Password to your VPN’s manual configuration data.
- At Server Address, writeyour VPN’s OpenVPN server address you want to use.
- Leave the remaining settings blank.
- Click Apply.
- Ask Google what’s your IP address to see if it changed.
- Enjoy secure browsing, torrenting, streaming, and gaming!
There is a wide range of VPN clients that you can install on your router. Even if they do not offer dedicated support for Arris specifically, you can flash your router and install a service that supports OpenVPN.
If you’re having VPN connection issues on your router, our guide shows how to effortlessly fix in.
What about Arris TG1672G VPN setup?
If you’re wondering how to config a VPN on an Arris TG1672G router, you can’t. Instead, you can turn it into a modem by putting it in bridge mode, purchasing a VPN router, and using it to connect to a VPN client.
For instance, if you have ExpressVPN, check out VPN routers that work with ExpressVPN and buy one to set up with your custom-made Arris modem.
This way, you don’t have to configure the Arris modem to allow VPN since you have to use the new router instead.
Can you setip VPN on Arris BGW210-700?
No, you can’t set up a VPN directly on the Arris BGW210-700 router. Your only option is to connect it to a secondary, VPN-compatible router using bridge mode or IP passthrough.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
Why install a VPN on your Arris router?
You might be unsure about installing a VPN on your Arris router, especially if it means purchasing a VPN router because your current device doesn’t support VPN client connections.
Since your router is running all the time, it means that your VPN connection will always be up. In turn, it translates to continuous, uninterrupted online protection for all connected devices.
When installing a VPN on a router consider the following:
- VPN account limits the number of simultaneous connections, it depends on each provider.
- Some VPNs like Private Internet Access allow you to share the VPN account and stay connected to PIA’s servers at the same time.
- A router can support unlimited connections since it’s considered a device that connects two or more packet-switched networks or subnetworks.
- You don’t have to worry about IP or DNS leaks during Internet connection drops, which are typically covered by the VPN client’s kill switch.
- Your Arris router will auto-connect to the VPN once the Internet connection is re-established.
Best VPNs compatible with Arris routers
Private Internet Access – best overall
Developed by Kape Technologies, Private Internet Access (PIA) is the best VPN overall, and that’s why we used it in our Arris router VPN setup instructions.
You can also set up OpenVPN manual configuration mode if your device supports it since it’s more secure than PPTP.
Furthermore, PIA uses military-grade encryption to protect your data from hackers. It has exclusive DNS servers to secure your DNS requests.
And, if you stumble upon technical difficulties, you can turn to the 24/7 live chat support.
More about PIA:
- +35,000 VPN servers in 80+ countries
- Compatible with all major platforms
- No logs or leaks
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet AccessProtect your entire household devices by installing PIA’s VPN configurations on your Arris router.
NordVPN – great double VPN feature
Another reliable VPN service that you can install to your Aris router is NordVPN. The tool has great server coverage all around the world, with over 5000 servers.
This VPN supports OpenVPN and offers dedicated guidelines and installation packages for all its server locations. It’s a great option for those that want to create more than one VPN profile within your router’s setup.
It can help you maintain online privacy and bypass strict geo-blocks. With its advanced AES-256 bit encryption and double VPN feature, you can rest assured that no one will be able to track you down or even know that you use a VPN in the first place.
Other key features of NordVPN include:
- Strict no logs policy
- Automatic kill switch
- DNS protection
- Onion over VPN
NordVPNEncrypt your traffic data for untraceable browsing and fast connections!
ExpressVPN – fastest servers
Known for its high-speed connection and ease of use, ExpressVPN is another user favorite, and for good reason.
It offers dedicated support for OpenVPN, being a reliable client for Arris routers if you decide to flash your router with third-party firmware.
Along with OpenVPN, ExpressVPN also supports other protocols, including Lightway, which is actually a proprietary protocol that’s built to provide a fast connection without compromising on security.
Other key features of ExpressVPN include:
- Server locations in 94 countries
- IP address masking
- 24-hour live chat support
- VPN split tunneling
- Trusted server technology
ExpressVPNProtect your network with military-grade encryption and enjoy speedy, unlimited Internet!
Surfshark – unlimited connections
Surfshark is a great VPN that will let you secure your entire household both by allowing direct installation to your router, but also thanks to its unlimited connections feature.
This VPN client lets you use its server on any device without placing any limit for simultaneous connections. It supports Open VPN and manual installation, so it’s a great option for Arris routers.
Surfshark offers private DNS on every server which contributes to preventing data leaks. Moreover, it has a kill switch option that temporarily stops all traffic in case you disconnect.
Other key features of Surfshark include:
- Camouflage mode to hide your traffic data even from your ISP
- Generous server network
- Powerful AES-256 bit encryption
- Secure protocols including IKEv2/IPSec and OpenVPN
SurfsharkInstall Surfshark to your router and make sure all your devices are secured, at all times!
CyberGhost – web filtering features
CyberGhost VPN can be installed on an Arris router if you flash it with DD-WRT firmware or use the FlashRouters privacy app. You can find dedicated guides on the official website.
The VPN has thousands of servers worldwide and offers downloadable OpenVPN files for all locations.
This VPN client includes dedicated adblock and malicious content blocking features that will help you have a safe experience on the Internet.
Other key features of CyberGhost include:
- DNS leak protection
- Emergency killswitch
- Dedicated IP
- 8000+ servers
- Public Wi-Fi protection
CyberGhost VPNProtect your entire household with powerful VPN servers from any location in the world!
Are there any downsides?
There are some minor inconveniences to using a VPN on your Arris router. For example, if you need to change the VPN server address, you have to access the router’s admin panel each time.
Plus, all devices will be connected to the same VPN server. If one person wants to unblock Netflix UK and another wants to unblock Netflix US, they can’t do this simultaneously because they’re bound to the same VPN server location.
In conclusion, it’s not challenging at all to set up a VPN on an Arris router. You just need a VPN router and a premium VPN subscription.
In just a few minutes, you will be able to share your VPN traffic with all nearby devices.
How to enable VPN passthrough on an Arris router?
- Open a web browser and enter this address:
- Login. The user and password should be written on your router.
- Go to Advanced and pick Options.
- Select Passtrough.
- Enter the MAC address of the router you want to connect to. If you don’t know it, you should find it in its Settings panel, in My Account/Account.
- Save your settings, then reboot both devices.
Does Nordvpn work with Arris router?
Yes, NordVPN works with Arris router. However, note that many models don’t support native VPN, so you’ll need to enable a passtroguh. Alternatively, you can install the NordVPN app on the devices on your Arris network.
Does Arris SBG10 support VPN?
No, Arris SBG10 does not support VPNs natively. To use one, you have two options: either install VPN apps on all devices on your network or use a secondary router that supports VPNs and enable passthrough.