7 Best VPNs for Eero Routers (+ Steps to Install)
Secure your entire house by adding a VPN to eero
- Eero routers gained a reputation for delivering a strong signal to all connected devices.
- You don't need to be an advanced user to couple a VPN with your router.
- Multiple VPN services offer great privacy and give access to a worldwide server network.
- See below what each of these providers has to offer and make an informed choice.
Are you worried about having to install a VPN on every single device you and all other family members use?
Coupling it from the start with the eero router is a much more inspired decision.
Your wish most likely is to protect multiple devices on your home network. Therefore, simply choose a VPN solution for your router.
All our recommendations are here for a reason that goes beyond the fact that you can set them up with the eero router. They clearly make the process as straightforward as possible.
Besides that, these virtual private network providers help you gain anonymity online and bypass geographic restrictions.
Keep in mind that VPNs affect router performance so it’s important to use a good client and configure it correctly. Read on to learn what these clients offer and use our guide to quickly install VPN on eero routers.
What are the best VPNs for eero routers?
- NordVPN – great server network spread all around the world and powerful, untraceable encryption to secure your entire household
- Private Internet Access – the biggest number of VPN servers with several dedicated locations for streaming to bypass geo-blocks and support buffer-free connections
- Surfshark – budget-friendly VPN that supports unlimited simultaneous connections without losing speed or performance
- CyberGhost VPN – easy-to-use VPN with dedicated apps for all major devices and OpenVPN support for routers
- ExpressVPN – fast VPN with powerful encryption and unlimited bandwidth on all its widespread servers
- IPVanish – great and fast VPN with great server coverage, especially in the United States
- VyprVPN – proven zero logs policy VPN with dedicated support for OpenVPN and other secure protocols for fast and private connections
NordVPN – best overall
NordVPN lets you connect to more than 5,400 servers in 59 countries to securely access your devices.
As expected, NordVPN has desktop clients for both Windows and Mac OS, as well as apps for Android and iOS. Alternatively, eero routers can be configured to use NordVPN.
It offers support for manual OpenVPN configuration, so you can create a VPN passthrough and install NordVPN on eero.
Therefore, you’ve got a winning combination on your hands: the router assures strong Wi-Fi for all your devices and the VPN secures every single smartphone, laptop, or gadget connected to eero.
More about NordVPN:
- OpenVPN and NordLynx (a modded version of WireGuard)
- P2P support
- Unblock popular Netflix catalogs, including US, UK, and Canada
- Comprehensive tutorials to set up the service on your devices
- Various payment methods – cards, Bitcoin, and PayPal
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee (no free trial)
NordVPNSet up this trustworthy VPN on your eero router to enjoy secure web browsing.
Private Internet Access – great for streaming
Private Internet Access takes our top spot for eero routers. If most VPNs have usage limits and privacy issues that make them unsuitable for use on a router, that’s not PIA’s case.
This VPN has over 35 000 servers located in 90+ countries all across the globe, making it ideal to circumvent geo-blocks and get a steady, lag-free connection.
When Russian authorities decided to log all domestic data traffic for at least one year, Private Internet Access removed its servers from Russia.
Changes in laws in Brazil and South Korea led to the same result. Moreover, this VPN has a strict zero-logs policy, so it never stores or shares any information about you.
It even accepts Bitcoin or gift cards from Starbucks if you want your subscription to be untraceable.
More about PIA:
- No IP, DNS, or WebRTC leaks
- Latest encryption protocols, including OpenVPN and WireGuard
- Split tunneling
- Opera, Chrome, and Firefox extensions
- Protect up to 10 devices at a time
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet AcessThere is no better choice for eero routers than PIA. Currently available at a major discount!
Surfshark – best for multiple devices
Surfshark is another reliable VPN service that can be installed directly onto your router.
It is a very secure and stable service and it has great server coverage. Surfshark has over 3000 servers worldwide.
This means it can find the best configuration for your specific location and provide you with high-speed internet at all times.
You can connect to a virtual location and get access to geo-restricted content all around the globe.
Along with that, it is highly secure and protects your identity and browsing activity. It has a strict no-logs policy, and it uses powerful end-to-end encryption.
The setup is very easy and quick. You just have to head to the Surfshark website and open the Manual setup panel, access the server you want to connect to, then add that information to your router settings page.
Other key features include:
- Unlimited number of platforms/devices for one account
- Hides your IP address
- Adblocker and anti-tracker
Surfshark VPN is a subscription-based service, but you can try it for free for 7 days.
SurfsharkConnect Surfshark to your eero router and enjoy private and secure browsing on all your devices.
CyberGhost VPN – powerful encryption and public Wi-Fi protection
Eero’s plug-and-use flexibility lets you easily build a setup for all your network devices, but CyberGhost is another VPN that steps in to guarantee their security.
CyberGhost supports DD-WRT, so it can be tweaked to support eero. Moreover, it offers a nice mix of server locations – over 6400 in 89 countries and the numbers are rapidly changing.
Even if it allows only seven simultaneous connections, you’ll be able to stream 4K UHD video when using servers in the US and enjoy gaming with minimum lag.
More about CyberGhost VPN:
- Confirmed no-log policy
- OpenVPN with up to 256-bit AES encryption
- It unblocks basic websites and streaming services like Amazon Prime and Netflix
- Available apps for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV
- It allows unlimited torrenting
- Great quality service
CyberGhost VPNSet up this reliable VPN on your eero router to share VPN access with all connected devices.
ExpressVPN – leading VPN technologies for fast and secure browsing
ExpressVPN is another good VPN for eero that operates more than 3,000 VPN servers optimized for fast downloads and privacy, so don’t resume using it only for your laptop.
It’s a great fit for eero routers, thanks to the fact that it supports OpenVPN manual configuration mode. ExpressVPN does work on eero as long as you download and install the configuration files on a supported router and create a VPN pass-through.
As such, every device on your network can take advantage of its benefits.
For example, it has a Smart DNS feature called MediaStreamer, which enables you to unblock streaming services on devices without native VPN support, such as Xbox, PlayStation, and even your Apple TV or Nvidia Shield TV.
More about ExpressVPN:
- Countless servers in key locations worldwide
- Superior security
- Compatible with desktop and mobile platforms
- Web extensions for both Chrome and Firefox
- Customer support is available 24/7 to help you get started
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPNTake your online security to a next level by connecting to the VPN servers of this superior VPN.
IPVanish – unlimited bandwidth and P2P support
IPVanish is a powerful United States-based VPN well worthy of a place in our list.
Other than having custom software apps for Windows, Mac, Amazon Firestick, and mobile platforms, it is also ideal for eero routers.
Note that it supports no less than 10 simultaneous connections and an unlimited amount of installations, so you’ll never be in the position of choosing.
No less important, this VPN allows torrenting on all servers and its integrated kill switch always prevents traffic from leaking onto the network if the connection drops.
More about IPVanish:
- It’s a no-logs VPN
- IPv6 leak protection
- 256-bit encryption used by default
- Provides access to over 1400 anonymous servers
- The support staff is available 24/7
- 30 days money-back guarantee
IPVanishSet up IPVanish and securely access your router-connected devices. Enjoy a discounted price right away!
VyprVPN – dedicated manual configuration support
Another reliable VPN that includes OpenVPN support is VyprVPN. The client actually has dedicated guides in its support section that explain how to install it to routers.
Thanks to its zero log policy and unlimited bandwidth it’s an ideal candidate to pair with eero routers. It will let you secure your traffic on all devices without the risk of running out of data.
VyprVPN has 700+ VPN servers all around the globe and gives users the possibility to browse privately with the help of IP masking and AES-256-bit encryption.
Other key features of VyprVPN include:
- Streaming optimized servers
- NAT Firewall
- 24/7 customer support
- Secure kill switch
- Public Wi-Fi protection
VyprVPNRoute your eero traffic through a secure VyprVPN tunnel for fast and private connections!
All these VPNs are capable of holding a good connection regardless of how many devices you connect to eero.
They include OpenVPN support, giving you the possibility to install them to a second routing device that you can bridge with eero.
Note that all your devices will be connected to the same VPN server. If you want access to multiple locations and to change up servers, you can create separate VPN profiles for each server.
How to install VPN on eero
To secure your entire network with a VPN, you will need to create a VPN pass-through for eero. The router doesn’t support native VPN installs, so you need a secondary router that has support for VPN.
Essentially, you will have to configure your VPN through another routing device that will run in front of eero and pass that traffic.
- Decide on a good router for VPN. For this guide, we decided to use a DD-WRT Router.
- Get a VPN client and create an account. We decided to install NordVPN on eero because it’s very secure and fast.
- In your web browser, open the DD-WRT Administrative Interface.
- Go to Setup.
- Select Basic Setup.
- Scroll to Network Addresses Server Settings (DHCP) and enter the following information:
- Static DNS 1: 126.96.36.199
- Static DNS 2: 188.8.131.52
- Static DNS 3: 0.0.0.0 (default)
- Use DNSMasq for DHCP: Checked
- Use DNSMasq for DNS: Checked
- DHCP-Authoritative: Checked
- Go to Setup>IPV6.
- Check the box for Disable and save your settings.
- Go to the Services Tab and select VPN.
- Scroll to OpenVPN and set Start OpenVPN Client to Enable.
- You will have to enter a server address for the NordVPN server you want to use and download its corresponding OpenVPN configuration files.
- Fill in the DD-WRT form with the corresponding information. You can find the best NordVPN server for your configuration plus downloadable OpenVPN files on the official website.
- Open your Nord Account in a web browser and select NordVPN from Dashboard.
- Use the service credentials from Advanced configuration for your account and password.
- Enter your credentials along with the OpenVPN server configuration info to your DD-WRT panel and save your settings.
- Enable Bridge Mode on DD-WRT and on your eero router.
At this point, both devices should reconfigure and connect through a VPN.
How to setup VPN passthrough on eero
After installing your VPN client to your router, you will need to connect it to eero to secure your connection. To do this, you have to enable the Bridge mode in your eero application.
- In your eero app, open the Settings panel.
- Select Advanced.
- Go to DHCP & NAT.
- Enable Bridge or Manual.
- Save your settings.
Once the bridge mode is activated, your eero router will be able to connect to your secondary routing device (which is connected to VPN).
Got any further questions about these VPNs for eero routers? Take a look at our FAQ at the end of this article or feel free to use the comments area below.
Assuming that you like to keep up with trends, our Routers section is waiting to be discovered.
Our VPN Hub will also point you in the right direction when looking for more VPNs.
How to choose the best VPN for eero?
Choosing the best VPN service for your eero router depends entirely on your preferences and needs.
All of our top recommendations work equally well, but they differ in specific features.
For example, if bypassing geo-blocks on various streaming platforms is among your main goals, you can’t go wrong with CyberGhost. It has a vast global network and its servers are optimized specifically for streaming.
On the other hand, if you want to double down on security, ExpressVPN has advanced leak protection and encryption features. And it frequently ranks among the top services for speed and connection stability.
In the end, you can’t go wrong with any of the top-tier providers listed above. Just take a closer look at our picks and choose the one that best fits your needs.
How secure is eero Wi-Fi?
Eero routers offer advanced security features. These include active threat protection, content filtering, and password management, among others.
What’s more, eero’s software frequently auto-updates to ensure it has the latest threat definitions and security patches.
Do you need a VPN with eero?
Having a VPN paired with your router is the only way to simultaneously protect all devices within your network.
While eero routers are definitely reliable on their own, they still lack the comprehensive security and privacy features VPNs offer. These include traffic encryption, leak prevention, the capability to prevent ISP throttling and bypass geo-restrictions, and many more.
What VPN works with eero router?
Since eero routers don’t offer built-in VPN management, the only way to set them up with one is via a pass-through. This involves using a secondary router that supports VPNs.
That said, many of the leading VPN services work flawlessly with various router models. So, you can pick any of our top 7 recommendations – NordVPN, PIA, Surfshark, etc – and you’ll get the same great results.
For step-by-step installation instructions, check out the full guide above.
Your connection is not secure - websites you visit can find out your details:
- Your IP Address: