Certain games have issues on modern operating systems, such as Windows 10. If you’re a fan of aerial warfare, you are probably familiar with a game called War Thunder. Some fans of this game are having problems with War Thunder on Windows 10, so without further delay, let’s see how to fix War Thunder issues.
Fix War Thunder Problems On Windows 10
Fix – War Thunder crashes
Solution 1 – Change render option to OpenGL
Users have reported frequent crashes while launching War Thunder. According to users, crash occurs just a few seconds after they log in. This makes the game unplayable, but there’s is a fix available. It has been reported that changing render option from Auto to OpenGL fixes War Thunder crashes on Windows 10. At the same time, some users report that using OpenGL gives them better performance. If you are experiencing any type of crashes, be sure to set render mode to OpenGl from launcher options.
Solution 2 – Start the game directly
Simple workaround for War Thunder crashes is to launch the game directly from its installation folder. To do so, navigate to game’s installation directory and run aces.exe.
Solution 3 – Delete cache and compiledShaders folders
If you’re experiencing War Thunder crashes, and you’re using Steam version of the game, you might want to try the following solution:
- Go to Steam’s installation directory.
- Navigate to \steamapps\common\warthunder folder.
- Once you’ve opened Warthunder folder, delete cache and compiledShaders.
- Start Steam.
- When Steam opens, navigate to your Library.
- Find War Thunder and right click it.
- Choose Properties from the menu.
- When Properties window opens, go to Local files tab.
- Click the Verify the integrity of game cache button.
- Be patient and wait for the process to complete.
Solution 4 – Set render to DirectX 9 and turn on Vsync
Users have reported War Thunder crashes when launching the game, and it seems that these crashes are caused by render options. If War Thunder is crashing on your Windows 10 computer, you might want to set render to DirectX 9 from launch options. Users have also reported that turning on Vsync fixes issues with crashing.
Solution 5 – Remove DisplayLink driver
It has been reported that DisplayLink driver can sometimes cause War Thunder crashes on Windows 10. If that’s the case, you should remove DisplayLink driver from your computer by following these steps:
- Open Settings app.
- Go to System and then navigate to Apps & features section.
- Locate DisplayLink software on the list and click Uninstall.
Solution 6 – Switch to Windowed mode
If you’re experiencing War Thunder crashes, it’s advised that you switch from fullscreen mode to windowed mode. Just be sure to set game’s resolution so it matches your desktop resolution.
Fix – War Thunder freeze
Solution 1 – Change game resolution
War Thunder freezes can be caused by your graphical settings, so you’re advised to lower them. If you’re using HD resolution, we advise switch to lower resolution and run the game in windowed mode.
Solution 2 – Run the game in Compatibility mode
If you’re experiencing War Thunder freezes on your computer, you might want to try starting the game in Compatibility Mode. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to the game’s installation directory.
- Locate aces.exe and right click it. Choose Properties from the menu.
- Navigate to Compatibility tab.
- Check Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose one of the older versions of Windows. Some user are suggesting Windows XP Service Pack 2, but you can experiment with other versions as well.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
Solution 3 – Perform a file check
In order to fix War Thunder freezes, some users are suggesting to perform a full file check. To do that, you just need to press the gear button next to graphic settings and click Check files button. This process might take a while, so we encourage you to be patient.
Fix – War Thunder fps drop
Solution 1 – Edit config.blk file
If you’re getting low performance and fps drop in War Thunder, you might want to change few of the game’s hidden settings. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to the game’s installation directory. By default it should be C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\War Thunder.
- Locate config.blk file and open it with Notepad.
- Locate the following lines and change them to:
- Save changes and right click config.blk. Choose Properties.
- Go to General tab and make sure to check Read-only option.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Start the game. If you get notification saying that you can’t save settings, just click Yes.
Users have reported that this solution fixes War Thunder fps drop and performance issues, but there’s also one downside. With this solution you won’t be able to change your settings, and instead you’ll have to change them manually from config.blk file.
Solution 2 – Use Command Prompt
Fps drop can make War Thunder almost unplayable, and if you’re having fps issues with War Thunder, you can try using Command Prompt to fix this problem:
- Make sure that your game is closed.
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- When Command Prompt opens, enter the following and press Enter to run it:
- Restart your computer and try running the game again.
Solution 3 – Set your power plan to High Performance
If you’re playing War Thunder on a laptop, you might have noticed fps drop when your charger isn’t connected. This is perfectly normal, but if you want to play War Thunder without fps drops on your laptop, you’ll have to change your power plan. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and type Power Options. Choose Power Options from the menu.
- When Power Options window opens, make sure that you select High performance from the list of results.
We have to point out that setting your power plan to High performance will drain your laptop battery faster, so keep that in mind.
Solution 4 – Update your graphic card drivers
Fps drop is often caused by outdated graphic card drives. If you’ve experienced any fps drops while playing War Thunder, we strongly advise you to update your graphic card drivers. To do that, just visit your graphic card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your graphic card. We also recommend this third-party tool to automatically download outdated drivers on your PC.
Fix – War Thunder black screen
Solution – Use DirectX 9 and Vsync / run the game in Windowed mode
If you’re having black screen issues with War Thunder, it’s advised that you turn on Vsync and use DirectX 9 render. Users have also reported that they are getting black screen while using OBS (Open Broadcaster Software). If you’re experiencing black screen issues, you might want to try running the game in windowed mode.
Fix – War Thunder connection problems
Solution – Make sure that War Thunder isn’t blocked by your antivirus
Sometimes War Thunder connection problems can be caused by your antivirus software or firewall. In order to avoid any connection problems, make sure that your antivirus software or firewall isn’t blocking War Thunder. If the game isn’t blocked by your security software, you might have to temporarily disable your antivirus or firewall while playing War Thunder. In addition, make sure that there are no unnecessary application running in the background.
These are some common War Thunder problems that users have reported, and if you have any of these issues, feel free to try some of our solutions.