- War Thunder is an MMO military combat game that has seemingly done the impossible: brought the entire battlefield to one game: air, ground and water combat available in one place.
- As with most ambitious games, War Thunder is not without its problems, and many players have taken to the forums to discuss War Thunder problems. This article will provide fixes for most of the problems encountered.
- For more content about online games, we recommend our dedicated page where we discuss the latest news and bugs.
- The Gaming Hub is always being updated with the latest guides, reviews and fixes for the hottest games. Make sure you bookmark it and come back often!
Some fans of this game are having problems with War Thunder on Windows 10, so without further delay, let’s see how to fix War Thunder issues.
Fix War Thunder Problems On Windows 10
War Thunder is a rather popular multiplayer game, but it has certain issues. Speaking of War Thunder and its issues, many users reported the following problems:
- War Thunder no sound – If you have no sound while playing War Thunder, check if your game is up to date. In a worst-case scenario, you might have to reinstall the game to fix the issue.
- War Thunder crashes – If the game frequently crashes on your PC, you might be able to fix the problem simply by changing the graphics quality or changing the render options.
- War Thunder crash on startup – Several users reported that War Thunder crashes on their PC right on startup. If this happens, be sure to check the integrity of the game cache.
- War Thunder crashes when connecting to server – This is another common problem with War Thunder. This issue can be caused by your firewall or antivirus, so be sure that War Thunder isn’t on the block list.
- War Thunder freezing – If the game freezes frequently on your PC, the problem might be your resolution. However, you should be able to fix this issue by using one of our solutions.
- War Thunder FPS drop, lag – FPS drop and lag can be a big problem in a multiplayer game, however, you should be able to fix the issue by changing the game’s configuration file.
- War Thunder black screen – This is another frequent problem with War Thunder. If you’re having this issue, try running the game in Windowed mode and check if that helps.
1. Fix War Thunder connection problems
Make sure that War Thunder isn’t blocked by your antivirus
In order to avoid any connection problems, make sure that your antivirus software or firewall isn’t blocking War Thunder.
If the game isn’t blocked by your security software, you might have to temporarily disable your antivirus or firewall while playing War Thunder.
In addition, make sure that there are no unnecessary application running in the background.
Sometimes in order to fix this problem, you need to uninstall your antivirus. If removing your antivirus solves the problem, then you might want to consider switching to a different antivirus solution.
2. Fix War Thunder crashes
1. Change render option to OpenGL
Users have reported frequent crashes while launching War Thunder. According to users, crash occurs just a few seconds after they log in. This makes the game unplayable, but there’s is a fix available.
It has been reported that changing render option from Auto to OpenGL fixes War Thunder crashes on Windows 10. At the same time, some users report that using OpenGL gives them better performance.
If you are experiencing any type of crashes, be sure to set render mode to OpenGL from launcher options.
Game Fire is a game booster that will get rid of crashes, freezes, lags, low FPS, and other issues while playing. Download it now (free) for a better gaming experience.
2. Start the game directly
A simple workaround for War Thunder crashes is to launch the game directly from its installation folder. To do so, navigate to the game’s installation directory and run aces.exe.
As you can see, this is a rather simple solution, but it might work for you, so feel free to try it out.
3. Delete cache and compiledShaders folders
If you’re experiencing War Thunder crashes, and you’re using Steam version of the game, you might want to try the following solution:
- Go to Steam’s installation directory.
- Navigate to steamapps > common > warthunder folder.
- Once you’ve opened Warthunder folder, delete cache and compiledShaders.
- Start Steam.
- When Steam opens, navigate to your Library.
- Find War Thunder and right click it.
- Choose Properties from the menu.
- When Properties window opens, go to Local files tab.
- Click the Verify the integrity of game cache button.
- Be patient and wait for the process to complete.
4. Set render to DirectX 9 and turn on Vsync
Users have reported War Thunder crashes when launching the game, and it seems that these crashes are caused by render options.
If War Thunder is crashing on your Windows 10 computer, you might want to set render to DirectX 9 from launch options.
Users have also reported that turning on Vsync fixes issues with crashing.
5. Remove DisplayLink driver
It has been reported that DisplayLink driver can sometimes cause War Thunder crashes on Windows 10.
If that’s the case, you should remove the DisplayLink driver from your computer by following these steps:
- Open Settings app.
- Go to System and then navigate to the Apps section.
- Locate DisplayLink software on the list and click Uninstall.
Keep in mind that sometimes you might have to remove all files associated with DisplayLink software in order to fix this problem.
This can be a complicated process if you’re doing it manually, but there’s a simple way to completely uninstall an application.
6. Switch to Windowed mode
If you’re experiencing War Thunder crashes, it’s advised that you switch from fullscreen mode to windowed mode. Just be sure to set game’s resolution so it matches your desktop resolution.
3. Fix War Thunder freeze
1. Change game resolution
War Thunder freezes can be caused by your graphical settings, so you’re advised to lower them. If you’re using HD resolution, we advise switch to lower resolution and run the game in windowed mode.
2. Run the game in Compatibility mode
If you’re experiencing War Thunder freezes on your computer, you might want to try starting the game in Compatibility Mode. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to the game’s installation directory.
- Locate aces.exe and right-click it. Choose Properties from the menu.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab. Check Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose one of the older versions of Windows. Some users are suggesting Windows XP Service Pack 2, but you can experiment with other versions as well.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
3. Perform a file check
In order to fix War Thunder freezes, some users are suggesting to perform a full file check. To do that, you just need to press the gear button next to graphic settings and click Check files button.
This process might take a while, so we encourage you to be patient.
4. Fix War Thunder fps drop
1. Edit config.blk file
If you’re getting low performance and fps drop in War Thunder, you might want to change few of the game’s hidden settings. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to the game’s installation directory. By default, it should be C: > Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common > War Thunder.
- Locate config.blk file and open it with Notepad.
- Locate the following lines and change them to:
- Save changes and right click config.blk. Choose Properties.
- Go to the General tab and make sure to check the Read-only option.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Start the game. If you get a notification saying that you can’t save settings, just click Yes.
Users have reported that this solution fixes War Thunder fps drop and performance issues, but there’s also one downside.
With this solution, you won’t be able to change your settings, and instead, you’ll have to change them manually from config.blk file.
2. Use Command Prompt
Fps drop can make War Thunder almost unplayable, and if you’re having fps issues with War Thunder, you can try using Command Prompt to fix this problem:
- Make sure that your game is closed.
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
- When Command Prompt opens, enter the following and press Enter to run it:
- Restart your computer and try running the game again.
3. Set your power plan to High Performance
If you’re playing War Thunder on a laptop, you might have noticed fps drop when your charger isn’t connected.
This is perfectly normal, but if you want to play War Thunder without fps drops on your laptop, you’ll have to change your power plan. To do that, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + S and type power. Select Choose a power plan from the menu.
- When Power Options window opens, make sure that you select High performance from the list of results.
We have to point out that setting your power plan to High performance will drain your laptop battery faster, so keep that in mind.
4. Update your graphic card drivers
Fps drop is often caused by outdated graphic card drives. If you’ve experienced any fps drops while playing War Thunder, we strongly advise you to update your graphic card drivers.
To do that, just visit your graphic card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your graphic card.
We also recommend this third-party tool to automatically download outdated drivers on your PC.
5. Fix War Thunder black screen
1. Use DirectX 9 and Vsync / run the game in Windowed mode
If you’re having black screen issues with War Thunder, it’s advised that you turn on Vsync and use DirectX 9 render. Users have also reported that they are getting a black screen while using OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).
If you’re experiencing black screen issues, you might want to try running the game in windowed mode.
These are some common War Thunder problems that users have reported, and if you have any of these issues, feel free to try some of our solutions.
FAQ: War Thunder issues
- Why is War Thunder not working?
War Thunder can have multiple errors. By following this troubleshooting guide, you will be able to fix most of the issues.
- How do I fix lag in War Thunder?
Lag is due to a connection issue, we address this particular problem in the steps above.
- How do I increase my FPS in War Thunder?
Decrease graphics settings (especially shadows, water effects and particles). For a more detailed guide on how to increase FPS in games, check out our Windows 10 FPS increase and laptop optimization guides.
- Can you play War Thunder on PS4?
Yes, War Thunder is a cross-platform MMO and can be played on PlayStation, Xbox, Mac & PC.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.