- When trying to install the AMD driver on Windows 10 you might sometimes get a Detection error.
- There are several tools and methods to force-install it, and we're detailing them below.
- Check out the best recommendations for the software that you need for your system in the Utilities & Tools Hub.
- Find specific tutorials for any Windows 10 bug that you encounter in our Errors section.
If you’re using an AMD graphics card you might face some problems after installing Windows 10.
Some users report that when they try to install their AMD drivers, the installation couldn’t be finished because of an error involving a detection driver.
Fortunately, the solution for this problem is very simple and it works not just on Windows 10, but also on older versions.
More specifically, the problem appears if you’re connected to the Internet when installing Windows 10, because the setup wizard automatically installs Microsoft AMD drivers.
After the detection phase, your screen might turn black and you’ll be forced to restart your computer, or you’ll simply get a Detection Driver error.
There are a couple of solutions to this problem and we’re detailing them below.
What can I do if AMD drivers won’t install on Windows 10?
- Uninstall your current driver
- Download the new driver with a third-party application
- Download the new driver using AMD Radeon Settings
- Download the new driver manually
- Download the new driver with Device Manager
- Turn off your antivirus and Firewall
- Try installing drivers in Compatibility mode
1. Uninstall your current driver
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click on Programs And Features.
- Select AMD Catalyst Install Manager.
- Click on Change.
- When prompted by the AMD Catalyst Install Manager – InstallShield Wizard, select Express Uninstall ALL ATI Software.
- Click, OK to allow the tool to remove all AMD drivers and application components.
- Click, Yes when prompted to restart the system and complete the uninstall process.
When the utility finishes uninstalling all the AMD drivers, your screen should look as if it had a standard VGA driver installed.
Then restart the AMD Catalyst setup and you should be able to install your AMD Catalyst drivers normally.
If you don’t have to worry about residual data and files, then we suggest you try a high-quality driver uninstaller. A professional tool will quickly scan your system for all installed drivers and it will let you select one or more drivers at once for removal.
2. Download the new driver with a third-party application
If you do not have the necessary computer skills to update/fix the drivers manually, we strongly suggest doing it automatically with a professional tool.
One of the biggest benefits of updating drivers automatically is that you can use it to update any driver on your computer.
Some of the most common Windows errors and bugs are a result of old or incompatible drivers. The lack of an up-to-date system can lead to lag, system errors or even BSoDs.To avoid these types of problems, you can use an automatic tool that will find, download, and install the right driver version on your Windows PC in just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for DriverFix to detect all your faulty drivers.
- The software will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Drivers will no longer create any problems if you download and use this powerful software today.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Download the new driver using AMD Radeon Settings
The easiest way to update your AMD drivers is by using AMD’s official support software, AMD Radeon Settings.
There’s a big chance you have this software installed on your computer already. Especially if you installed your first driver from a DVD.
If otherwise, you can download it from here. Then, simply open the program and, if a new update is available, you will be notified.
Install all the available updates, restart your computer, and you should be good.
If AMD Radeon Settings doesn’t show a new update, or you simply don’t prefer using this software, always download drivers and install them manually.
Just go to AMD’s Driver Support website, choose your graphics card, and download drivers.
Install drivers normally, as you would any other program. Just follow the wizard instructions, restart your computer, and that’s all.
5. Download the new driver with Device Manager
- Go to Search, type devicemngr, and open Device Manager.
- Expand Display adapters.
- Right-click your AMD graphics card, and go to Update driver.
- Follow further on-screen instructions
- Restart your computer.
This is the old-fashioned and probably the most used method of installing and updating drivers on Windows.
6. Turn off your antivirus and Firewall
- Press Windows Key + S, type Firewall and select Windows Firewall from the list of results.
- When Windows Firewall starts, click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Select Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) for both private and public network settings.
- Click OK to save changes.
If you’re unable to install or update your drivers using any method mentioned above, try to disable your antivirus and Windows Firewall, only temporarily.
Antivirus programs are known for not getting along with Windows updates. And driver updates may not do any better, as well.
7. Try installing drivers in Compatibility mode
- Locate the driver setup file, right-click it, and choose Properties from the menu.
- Head over to the Compatibility tab and check Run this program in compatibility mode for option. Choose the desired version of Windows and click Apply and OK to save changes.
After doing that, try running the setup file again.
That’s about it. We certainly hope at least one of these solutions helped you resolve the problem with the AMD drivers.
If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions on this topic, just let us know in the comments down below.