- Driver uninstaller software tools are practical for removing old, incompatible or unknown device drivers from your Windows PC. You can do this from Device Manager or by installing one of the programs from this list.
- It's essential to remove outdated drivers and replace them with newer ones compatible with your system. It helps resolve many device issues, including GPU issues in games or audio quality problems.
- If you intend to update drivers, check out our article and do it right.
- Visit our Driver hub to read more awesome guides!
It’s important to remove unwanted drivers from your Windows 10 system because this will save you a massive amount of time and hassle.
A high-quality driver uninstaller is a third-party software program that scans your system for all installed drivers quickly, and it will let you select one or more drivers at once for removal.
After the drivers have been removed, the driver removal tool will scan the system once again making sure to free up valuable space and also making sure that you will not run into problems when you try to install the latest version of that driver later on. Besides, you can fix driver issues by uninstalling old drivers and installing newer versions.
Here the 5 best driver uninstaller tools that you can currently find on the market so check out their sets of features and decide which one is the best option to add to your system.
Driver Booster 7 (recommended)
Driver Booster 7 is one of the best driver updater tools. In addition to removing old and outdated drivers from our PC, you can use this software solution to find the newest drivers online that are compatible with your devices and operating system.
Here are the key features of Driver Booster:
- Find and remove outdated device drivers from your PC
- Optimize your computer for gaming using Game Boost
- Inspect driver information suc as publisher, date and associated device
- Create driver backups and system restore points as a precaution
- Update drivers at an accelerated rate
- Set your PC to auto-shutdown or restart after the drivers are updated
- Schedule Driver Booster to automatically scan drivers
Driver Fusion (suggested)
Driver Fusion is a driver uninstaller that provides a complete solution for your system to help you update, monitor and manage your drivers and devices as well.
Using the health check option, you will be able to analyze your system’s health, and the program can automatically fix all detected issues.
Here are the key features of Driver Fusion:
- Keeps your computer updated by installing the latest drivers via its automatic driver updater, making sure that you will no longer have outdated and missing files
- It also allows you to create a backup for all of your installed drivers at once
- This remove driver software can also prepare your system when you install a new driver or change the hardware on your computer
- The device control feature allows you to backup, download and uninstalls drivers, disable or restart devices and scan for hardware changes
- The device identifier feature lets you troubleshoot and search for information on devices that are not recognized by Windows
Driver Fusion offers you data on every device and driver that you have installed on your computer, and it allows you to detect and prevent problems and keep your PC running at top performance.
Driver Magician is a driver removal software that will help you uninstall unnecessary drivers from your system effortlessly and this way you will be able to save some valuable time. This program offers a professional solution for device drivers backup, update, removal and restoration as well. It’s compatible with Windows operating system.
The program works by identifying all the hardware that you have installed on your computer, and it extracts the associated drivers from the hard disk, backing them up to a location that you chose.
Here are the key features of Driver Magician:
- Driver Magician comes with a built-in database of the latest drivers with the ability to go online and receive the driver updates.
- You will be able to back up device drivers of your system in four modes.
- The tool lets you restore device drivers from backup with a simple click.
- You will be able to update device drivers of your PC to improve the system performance and stability.
- There’s also the option of Live Update device identifier database and driver update database.
- You will be able to back up more items such as Desktop and My Documents.
- With this tool, you can restore more items from the backup, and you will also get detailed information of the hardware drivers.
Guru3D Driver Sweeper
Guru3D Driver Sweeper is a great remove driver software that will sweep all driver leftovers from your computer. Removing your drivers on a correct way is essential because driver leftovers are able to cause stability-related issues and startup problems.
You can use Guru3D Driver Sweeper if you want to update and remove drivers from the computer.v
Here are the key features of Guru3D Driver Sweeper:
- Guru3D Driver Sweeper can be used in two ways, and both of them will clean all the files.
- You can use the official uninstaller of the drivers, and you can also run this program to select what to clean.
- You will be able to select more drivers at the same time for cleaning.
- The current supported drivers are NVIDIA (Display and Chipset), ATI (Display), Creative (Sound) Realtek (Sound), Ageia (PhysX) and Microsoft (Mouse).
- This software can be used in Normal mode, but for absolute stability, it’s recommended to use the Safe mode.
It’s also recommended to make a backup or a system restore before using this tool.
Device Cleanup Tool
Device Cleanup Tool removes drivers for non-present devices from the Windows, device manager. It’s critical to remove these drivers because each device that was once attached to your system leaves an entry in the Device Manager.
When you are using the Windows Device Manager, you will be able to delete drivers only one by one. But, with Device Cleanup Tool you can delete multiple drivers or all the non-present devices.
Here are the key features of Device Cleanup Tool:
- View a list of all devices and uninstall drivers
- The “last used time” comes from the write time of the device’s registry key
- Using Device Cleanup Tool will save you space, time and effort as well
- There’s also a command line version of Device Cleanup Tool called Device Cleanup Cmd
These are the top five picks for the best driver removal tools and no matter which one you decide to get, you’ll be able to keep your system clean and running smoother.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about device drivers
- How do I completely uninstall drivers?
To completely uninstall drivers from Device Manager, right-click a device and select Uninstall Device. If you plan to reinstall or update drivers, follow our easy instructions to do it right.
- Should I delete device driver packages?
No, you shouldn’t delete device driver packages. These are .sys files stored in C:\Windows\System32\drivers. They contain required components to make your devices work on Windows, such as graphics, sound, and network. In addition to driver files, these packages include install device setup and other necessary files.
- How do I uninstall a printer driver?
You can uninstall printer drivers from Device Manager. If the printer device isn’t visible, open the View menu and select Show hidden devices. Then, right-click the printer and select Uninstall Device.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.