- Several well-known companies scored evenly in the latest AV-TEST ranking.
- Based on the points and various separate results, one can see which antivirus programs are recommended to use on Windows 10 PCs.
- We recommend that you bookmark our Cybersecurity Hub to stay up to date with the latest news in the industry.
- We also got the best selection of news, recommendations, and dedicated guidelines in our Antivirus separate section.
German security software testing company AV-TEST found out some really interesting results after performing more tests on Windows 10.
Which is the best antivirus software for Windows 10?
How is one antivirus better than the other?
Interestingly, several security giants such as Kaspersky, Avira, Norton LifeLock, and Bitdefender scored evenly in the end. In the overall score for protection, performance, and usability, they all obtained 17.5 points.
Slight differences between them showed in the number of false detections of legitimate software during a system scan, as well as in various layers of performance.
On the other hand, TrendMicro was the only software to score 6 out of 6 points for all measured categories: performance, protection, and usability.
Notable results were also obtained by ESET, McAfee , and Microsoft Defender.
BullGuard hasn’t failed the experts’ expectations this year either, ranking among the topmost performant antivirus programs, with an overall score of 17.5.
The program proved perfect in terms of detecting the latest widespread and prevalent malware known to experts, as well as in terms of protecting against malware attacks (web and email threats included).
Indeed, running BullGuard and downloading or installing frequently used apps simultaneously slightly slowed down the PC’s performance. However, the impact was considerably lower compared to other software in the same top category.
BullGuard also had the lowest number of false detections of legit software, namely three (again, among the top antivirus programs).
The tool provides a triple-layer, real-time protection, scanning signatures, and all kinds of anomalies associated with malware. Any detected malware is quarantined and then neutralized before the infection can even begin.
Further features include:
- Recognition of trusted applications and sites.
- Improved firewall with added layers of heavy-duty protection against intruders and malware, to block unauthorized attempts to connect a device to the Internet.
- Online protection for kids to let them enjoy uninterrupted gaming.
- Easy installation; 24/7 free expert support.
Get BullGuard now to have updated protection for your device against the latest malware.
FAQ: Read more about protecting your Windows 10 device
- Do I still need antivirus software with Windows 10?
The general recommendation is that you install an antivirus, even if only for basic protection while you are online.
- Are free antivirus programs any good?
A free antivirus offers only some basic features, and oftentimes don’t come with important options, such as real-time protection. But it’s worth trying them to see if they suit you.
- Does Windows 10 have built-in antivirus?
Windows 10 comes with a built-in antivirus, Windows Defender. It’s a decent program, with ups and downs, but you’ll easily find solutions for most common issues.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in May 2018 and was revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.