Today we’re going to solve another Windows 10 Technical Preview issue. This time, one user complained on Microsoft Forum about how he wasn’t able to start his PC, because Windows 10 was hanging on startup.
Reportedly, when he tried to turn on his machine, the system just showed the blue Windows pane and circling dots weren’t shown. When he restarted the machine, everything was back to normal, but this problem appeared again after some time. Fortunately, this is not a serious issue, and solution for this problem is very simple. It is caused by the Windows 10 feature called Fast Startup, and disabling this feature will solve everything.
Fast Startup is the feature introduced in Windows 8, and is still present in Windows 10 Technical Preview. Fast Startup allows your computer to start faster than normal by logging of the user session and saving system related files and drivers to a special hibernation file. Although this feature helps your computer to boot faster, it can also cause some problems with booting, like it did in this case. Fast Startup only works when the computer is shutdown, as it don’t affects restart, which explains why things were back to normal after restarting a computer.
To disable Fast Startup feature in Windows 10, follow these instructions:
- Go to Search
- Type po bu (short for power buttons) in the search box. It will bring you directly to the ‘Change what the power buttons do’ applet in search results. Click it.
- System Settings window will appear
- Click on the ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’ link to see the available Shutdown options
- Untick the Turn on fast startup (enabled) option
Disabling Fast Startup should solve your problem with Windows 10 hanging out on initial startup, but in case you have some questions or maybe other solutions to this problem, please write it down in the comments section below.
Quick solution to fix various PC problems
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing issues with initial startup in Windows 10
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues.
Read Also: How to Unlock Secret Features in Windows 10