One of the easiest ways of customizing Windows 10 input is by downloading and installing language packs. This will let you view dialog boxes, menus, various apps, as well as websites in your native language.
However, sometimes the language pack feature fails to work either during the download/install process or may work briefly then fail due to an error. The Windows 10 language pack error 0x800f081e is one such issue and arises mostly when you’re trying to install a different language package.
Of course, there could other faults including the notorious fatal error no language file found problem, but for this article, we will concentrate on solving the similarly stubborn Windows 10 language pack error 0x800f081e.
Causes of the Windows 10 language pack error 0x800f081e
- Country/region Settings: The Windows 10 language pack error 0x800f081e is occasionally triggered by incorrect country/region settings.
- Security software: At times, your antivirus program blocks relevant files making the installation/update causing the problem to appear.
- Unstable internet connection: Every so often, a metered Internet connection can interfere with language pack installation.
- Compatibility mishaps: You may also run into the Windows 10 language pack error 0x800f081e if you have got the wrong version of the chosen language pack.
- Corrupt system files: Alterations to critical system files or their erasure might prevent any updates and language packs from installing.
How can I fix Windows 10 language pack error 0x800f081e?
- Install local experience packs
- Manually install the language pack
- Disable your antivirus program
- Run DISM commands
- Install Windows afresh
1. Install local experience packs
To eliminate the Windows 10 language pack error 0x800f081e, install the relevant Windows local experience pack first.
- Choose your account, enter your password, verify if (if prompted) and proceed with the installation.
After installing your preferred local experience pack, your Windows features and apps will be using the new language.
Now update your PC’s display language preferences by applying these steps:
- Click the Start button.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose Time & Language.
- Select Language and switch to the newly installed language from the Windows display language menu (click on the shown options).
- Restart for these changes to be applied.
2. Manually install the language pack
If the above steps don’t work, try adding your input language manually.
- Click the Start button then select Settings as seen in previous steps.
- Go to Time & Language then select Language.
- Click Add a language.
- Choose your language from the list then select Next.
- Review any specific language features you would like to set/install then tap Install.
- Remember to update to the new input language as described in Solution 1.
3. Disable your antivirus program
To ensure that your security software isn’t interfering with the installation/updates, disable it temporarily before restarting the installation procedure. Turning off the Windows Firewall might also be beneficial.
Remember your computer is highly vulnerable to malware attacks online when running without an antivirus so re-enable it as soon as possible. If your antivirus was the problem, this might be a perfect time to consider switching to a different antivirus. Bitdefender is a reliable antivirus that offers great protection with zero interference with your system, so if you’re looking for a new antivirus, you might want to try it out.
4. Run DISM commands
Running Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) commands from your Command Prompt window will help repair any corrupted files in Windows 10 to allow you to install your desired language pack.
- Click Start then type Command Prompt in Windows 10 search box.
- Look for the Command Prompt (Desktop app) tab from the results.
- Right-click and then choose Run as administrator.
- The command window loads. Type these following commands pressing enter after each entry.
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Wait as each instruction runs to completion before typing the next command.
- Try the installation/update again.
5. Install Windows afresh
If the Windows 10 language pack error 0x800f081e persists, you may have to install Windows 10 afresh and choose your favored language up front. This is how to reinstall Windows 10 afresh.
Language pack error 0x800f081e can be problematic, but we hope that you managed to solve it using the solutions from our article.