How to create and extract RAR files in Windows 10
RAR files are one of the most popular and most used type of files in PCs, and their usage didn’t change in Windows 10. So in this article, we’re going to talk about RAR files, how to create them, how to extract them, and more.
What is a RAR File?
RAR file is a compressed file which is used for ‘storing’ larger files in ‘archives,’ in order to take less space on hard disk, or transfer easier. You’ll easily recognize RAR file, because it uses a file name extension .rar. Unfortunately, Microsoft didn’t add native support to Windows 10, despite users’ demands, so to manage .rar files, we’ll have to use a third-party program.
Since we’re talking about .rar files only, probably the best program for creating and extracting .rar archives is WinRar. You can download it from from the official website, and although it’s a trial version, you don’t have to worry about it, because, for some reason, it will never expire (Read more about it in this Reddit discussion).
How to Create a RAR File in Windows 10
- Just right-click on the file or folder you want to compress and click on Add to archive…
- Now just name your archive and press OK (you don’t have to touch other options, because everything is already set)
- And there you go, you created a .rar archive, and it will appear next to file/folder you compressed
If you’re compressing a larger file, you’ll notice that it takes a less size on the disk than original, so you can move it quicker. Once you create an archive, all files will stay in it, no matter if the original is still present on your computer, so even if you delete the original file, you’ll still be able to access it in WinRar archive.
How to Extract a RAR File in Windows 10
Extracting .rar files from an archive to a computer is as simple as creating a .rar archive, maybe even simpler. You just need to open the archive and drag files that you want to extract from archive to folder on your computer.
If you want to extract any archive type files just as easy, we recommend FileViewer Plus 3 . Or if you like to do things the more complex way, you can do the following:
- Open WinRar archive you want to extract files from
- Select files you want to extract
- Click on Extract to
- Choose the destination path where you want your files to be extracted
- Click OK
That’s all, you now know how to create and extract .rar files with WinRar.
You don’t have to strictly use WinRar for managing .rar files, but I think it’s the best solution. However, if you don’t like WinRar, you can use some of the following programs, which also can handle .rar files exceptionally well:
- File Viewer
- 7-Zip (Find out how to extract RAR files with 7-Zip here. )
- Universal Extractor
Download this tool we highly recommend
You can open any archive type file as easy as drag-and-drop with FileViewer Plus 2. This is a universal file viewer for Windows that can open and display over 300 different file types. You can download a fully-functional trial free from the official website or buy it at an affordable price.
How to create a RAR file using WinZip
To create a .rar archive/file using WinZip, follow these steps:
- Go to File > select new Zip file > add the file that you want to convert into a .rar file
- Select the Zip option located in left-hand panel > hit OK
- In the right-hand panel, select which actions you want to enable before saving the file: Encrypt/ Reduce photo size/ Convert to PDF/ Add a watermark.
- Under ‘Share or save Zip’ you can choose to create the new zip file, email it or share it on social media.
Also, there are some .rar managers in Windows Store, like UnCompress, so if you like Windows 10 environment more than classic desktop experience, you can give them a shot, as well.
Read Also: How to Remove Bloatware From Windows 10
Create RAR files online
If you don’t want to download and install a dedicated tool to create and extract RAR files, you can also use online resources to generate RAR files.
One of the most popular online RAR converters is Zamzar. This tools supports over 1,000 different file conversion types, including compressed formats.
All you need to do is upload the file(s) that you want to compress, select the format to convert to, enter your email address to receive the converted files and then hit the convert button.
There you go, if you want to create and extract RAR files, you basically have two options: you can download and install a dedicated tool or use an online platform.
If you’ve got other tips on how to create RAR files on Windows 10, let us know in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows cannot complete the extraction/ The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid
- Best image compression software for Windows 10
- 8 + best file compression tools for Windows 10
You’ve got an important email to send, but you receive the error 0x8000000b while trying to send your email. What now? To first understand why […]
Selected boot image did not authenticate error message is linked with updates, upgrades and driver updates and likely common on HP computers. Note that this […]
Microsoft announced the Surface Hub 2 almost a year ago and recently shared more details on the product line. Surface Hub 2X will hit the […]