Windows 8, 8.1 Doesn’t Recognize my Micro SD Card [Fix]
What to do if my SD card is not recognized in Windows 8, 8.1?
- Run the Troubleshooter
- Update drivers
- Check for Windows Updates
- Change drive letter
- Check your SD card on another PC
There are many various errors related to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 and in the past we have covered similar errors related to SD cards not being recognized by Windows 8. Here’s now some fixes for Micro SD Card problems.
There are many Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users complaining about various errors and now we’re trying to come up with a fix for issues related to Micro SD Cards not being recognized. Here’s what one of the affected users has been saying: “Having the same issue after reinstalling win 8 because of the scorpion virus that I was unable to remove. Now I don’t recognize SD cards from my camera. Not sure that the drivers are right for the device but I haven’t figured out what they should be. Does anyone know where I would find the SD reader in device manager?”
How to fix ‘Micro SD Card not being recognized by Windows 8, 8.1 problems?
1. Run the Troubleshooter
Run the Hardware troubleshooter by pressing the Windows key + C on your keyboard to show the Charms bar. Then type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings. After that, type Hardware Troubleshooter in the search option and click on Hardware troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter.
2. Update drivers
- Install latest drivers for the USB device ( Updating drivers manually is very annoying, so we recommend you to download this driver updater tool (100% safe and tested by us) to do it automatically. Thus, you will prevent file loss and even permanent damage to your computer. )
- Download the Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 drivers from the Manufacturer’s website and install them in compatibility mode
- Right click on the driver setup file and select “Properties”, then select “Compatibility” Tab
- Make a check mark next to Run this program in “Compatibility mode” and select the previous version of Windows supported by the software, from the drop-down list
- After that click on “Apply” and “Ok” option, now install the driver
- Then restart your computer and check how it works.
3. Check for Windows Updates
- At the Start screen, type Windows Update
- Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results
- When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates
4. Change drive letter
If these fixes don’t work, try the following, as well:
- Go to ‘Computer Management’ then ‘Disk Management’, you will find the Card Reader there
- Go to Control Panel >System and Security >Administrative Tools
- Click on “Administrative Tools”, then click on >Computer Management
- In the left panel under storage click >Disk Management
- Your SD card reader should show up there, so you will have to Right Click on it
- Now, from the pop-up menu choose ‘Change Drive Letter and Paths…’ or ‘Add Drive Letter’
- Then assign it a drive letter
- Your SD card reader should show up when you double-click the computer icon. However, be careful, you may lose data from the SD card.
Solution 5: Check your SD card on another PC
In case you do not arrive to fix ‘SD card not detected’ error on your PC, try to plug it in other PCs. We would strongly recommend to try it on different OS, like Mac OS or Linux. If you can detect it there, then the problem lies in a conflict between your Windows version. In this case, you might need to take more complex actions in order to fix this issue.
Other SD card issues and their fixes
We will also list some SD problems that touch Windows 10 users. We do that in order to cover all needs. You will find below a list of fix articles that will help[ you to get rid of various SD card errors in Windows 8, 8.1 but also Windows 10. Here they are:
- Fix: Windows Computer Doesn’t Recognize SD Card (general fix)
- SD Card Reader not Working in Windows 10, 8.1 for some Lenovo Users
- Fix: SD Card not Being Recognized in Windows 10/8.1/8
- Fixed: SD Card Not Recognized After you Wake up Windows 8.1, Windows 10 Computer
Here it is, folks, you are done with this error. Let us know in the comments which solution helped your case.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
If you want your laptop to work properly, you need to have the appropriate software installed. Speaking of software, users reported that they can’t install […]
Are you getting a “printer needs user intervention” error message when printing documents? The error message might appear on the printer‘s top panel display as […]