Is your Windows Install Stuck? How to fix it on Windows 7, 8.1, 10
I remember that when I installed Windows 8 on my laptop, it stuck at 10% for quite a while. My Windows 8, Windows 10 copy was a genuine one (albeit I didn’t pay for it, since I got it for free in the university program) so, naturally, I was afraid that it would fail to install.
This problem has been affecting all Windows users, from Windows 7, to Windows 10. Below we will try to come up with a few basic solutions that could help you out.
I then called some friends of mine and asked how the Windows 10, Windows 8 install performed for them. Interestingly enough, none of them were quite happy with their Windows 10 or Windows 8 install process. If you think you can’t resolve this issue with your Windows 8 installation being stuck, then maybe you should try and contact the Windows 10 or Windows 8 customer support.
Quick solution to fix various PC errors
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing stuck Windows 10 installs
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues.
Read Also: How to Uninstall Windows 10, Windows 8.1
Windows 8, Windows 10 install gets stuck at different stages
I only had the issue at the beginning of the installation, when it showed only 10%. But I was surprised to discover different versions. You might find your own issue amongst them:
- Windows 10, Windows 8 install stuck at 10%
- Windows 10, Windows 8 install stuck at 90%
- Windows 10, Windows 8 install stuck at “getting system ready”
- Windows 10, Windows 8 install stuck at Windows logo
- Windows 10, Windows 8 install stuck at “please wait”
- Windows 10. Windows 8 install stuck at black screen
- Windows 10, Windows 8 install stuck at “getting devices ready”
The solutions are common sense
1. Install the final version – most of these issues will happen with versions of Windows 10, Windows 8 that are not final. I tried my install with a final version of Windows 10, Windows 8, so I managed to overcome the issues just by … waiting. But, if you’re getting your Windows 10 Windows 8 install stuck at different stages and your not using a final version (or a pirated, illegal one), I strongly advise you to pick a final, legal version.
2. Unplug all external devices – I remember that a few years back, when I was installing Windows 7, I got the same issue. My mouse was plugged in, my printer, my usb cable to my smartphone. As soon as I unplugged all that, my install resumed and finished very quickly. Try doing that too and it should get past that stuck point.
3. Just wait – I know, one doesn’t have to be a techie to do this one, but you feel different when people tell you it’s only natural that it is happening. So, don’t worry, you’ll be able to finalize your Windows 10 Windows 8 install. Grab a book, open your TV and let it do its job.
4. Update your BIOS – this has been reported by our reader, Charan. He tried the basic advices we’ve given and they didn’t work. Check to see whether your BIOS is outdated and if it is, then update it. Thanks again, Charan!
Sometimes, you might want to check again if your PC is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8, but unless you’re installing it on something very old, you should not have this issue. Also, this is a non-advice because I’m not sure 100% if it’s genuine. Before installing Windows 10 or Windows 8, be sure you have a little more space than just what is required. So, if you need 16 GB for Windows 10 and Windows 8, make sure you have at least 25, for example.
If you’re installing Windows 10 or Windows 8 from a DVD, don’t forget to eject your DVD if you no longer need it or when it says you to. If you forget to do it, it might start the install process all over again. Try the above solutions and if they don’t work, let us know in the comments section and we’ll try to work out a solution together, but, usually, this is nothing to be worried about.
Upgrade to latest Windows versions
If you are on Windows 8 or 8.1, you probably have had enough of this, but really – you should go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10. Besides the various security issues that you might encounter, older operating systems also don’t get enough attention from Microsoft. Be it as it may, here are some more guides that I’d recommend:
- Windows 8.1, Windows 10 Install Stuck and Freezes: How to Solve it
- Fix: Windows 10 is Stuck on Install
Editor’s Note: This article has originally been published in November 2012. We have since updated this article to link to new resources present on the site. If you have something more to add, go ahead and leave it in the comments.
Microsoft PowerPoint presentations usually contain important, sometimes classified, documents. Hence, most people tend to password-protect such documents against unauthorized access. However, what happens if you […]
The reception desk is the face and voice of any organization. An automated receptionist software simplifies the entire process of visitor management. Whether it’s the customer, […]
Whether you use web-based email services or desktop email clients to manage your account, emails are used for business and personal communication by almost everyone. […]