Full Fix: ‘Windows management files moved or missing’ error
The “Windows management files moved or missing” error is one that occurs for some users when they open Microsoft System Information via Run. The System Information’s system summary states, “Can’t collect information, cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software, windows management files may be moved or missing.” Consequently, the System Information window doesn’t provide system details. These are a few potential resolutions for the WMI system error.
SOLVED: Windows management files moved or missing
- Check that the Windows Management Instrumentation Service is Running
- Restart Windows Management Instrumentation Service
- Reregister the WMI Components
- Rebuild the WMI Repository
- Add Service to the Administrators Group
1. Check that the Windows Management Instrumentation Service is Running
- Firstly, check that the Windows Management Instrumentation Service is on. You can do that by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey and entering ‘services.msc’ in Run.
- Double-click Windows Management Instrumentation on the Services window.
- If the WMI is disabled, select Automatic from the Startup type drop-down menu.
- Press the Start button.
- Then press the Apply and OK buttons.
— RELATED: Fix: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT Error in Windows 10
2. Restart Windows Management Instrumentation Service
- Restarting the WMI might resolve the “Windows management files moved or missing” error. To do that, press the Windows key + X hotkey and select to open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Input ‘cd\windows\system32\wbem’ and press Enter.
- Enter ‘regsvr32 wmiutils.dll’ in the Prompt, and press the Return key.
- Then input ‘net stop winmgmt’ and press Return.
- To restart the WMI service, enter ‘net start winmgmt’ and press Return.
3. Reregister the WMI Components
- Some users have confirmed that they have fixed the “Windows management files moved or missing” system error by reregistering the WMI service. To reregister WMI, press the Cortana button on the Win 10 taskbar.
- Enter the keyword ‘Command Prompt’ in Cortana’s search box.
- Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Input ‘cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem’ and press Enter.
- Enter ‘for %i in (*.dll) do regsvr32 -s %i’ in the Prompt’s window, and press the Return key.
- Then input ‘for %i in (*.exe) do %i /regserver’ in the Command Prompt, and press the Enter button.
- Close the Command Prompt, and then select Restart on the Start menu to restart Windows.
4. Rebuild the WMI Repository
The WMI error can be due to a corrupted WMI repository folder. As such, rebuilding the WMI repository might also fix the Windows Management Instrumentation error. This is how you can rebuild the WMI repository.
- Open the Command Prompt as administrator by selecting Command Prompt (Admin) on the Win + X menu.
- Enter ‘net stop winmgmt’ in the Prompt, and press the Enter key.
- Press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Input ‘System32’ in Run, and press the OK button.
- Then open the wbem subfolder that’s in the System32 folder.
- Right-click the Repository folder and select Rename.
- Enter ‘Repository.old’ as the new folder title.
- Open the Command Prompt again.
- Input ‘net start winmgmt’ and press Enter.
- Select Restart on the Start menu to restart Windows.
5. Add Service to the Administrators Group
Adding Service to the administrators group is another resolution for the “Windows management files moved or missing” error. That resolution will grant permissions to the system to access WMI clauses. You can do that by opening the Command Prompt as an administrator and entering ‘net localgroup “Administrators” “NT Authority\Service” /add’ in the Prompt.
One, or more, of those resolutions will probably fix the “Windows management files moved or missing” error so that you can open System Information again. Remember that there are also numerous third-party system info software that provide an alternative to Windows 10’s System Information window. This software guide provides further details for some of the best third-party system info utilities.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Disk Management not loading in Windows 10
- Fix: Video Memory Management Internal Error in Windows 10
- Fix: Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer’s hardware
Firefox has announced that it will start to warn users if they visit any breached sites. This is in an attempt to not only make […]
Oh dear. It’s been a pretty bad month for Microsoft concerning its Windows 10 October 1809 Update release. Microsoft eventually released the update a couple […]
Yesterday, Microsoft released Visual Studio 15.9. With it came the announcement that “developers now have the officially supported SDK and tools for creating 64-bit ARM […]