Windows Server 2019 Build 17639 brings many upgrade improvements
Microsoft’s Dona Sarkar announced the release of Windows Server 2019 Insider Preview Build 17639. After rolling out Redstone 4 to all release rings, now the Windows Insider group was seeded to vNext Long-Term Servicing Channel.
The build brings in-place upgrades, Storage Migration Service, Storage Replica and of, course, a few known issues as well.
Windows Server 2019 Build 17639 improvements
These allow an admin to upgrade an existing installation of Windows Server to a newer version while at the same time keeping previous installed features and settings.
There are more LTSC versions and editions of Windows Server that are supported for these in-place upgrades, and you can check them out on Microsoft’s official page.
Storage Migration Service
Windows Server has an issue regarding lack of data migration options from older Oss and storage platforms. Windows Server 2019 addressed this flaw by introducing the Storage Migration Service which is a new feature included in Windows Server Standard and Datacenter editions.
This will allows admins to inventory existing servers for their security, data, and network settings. The service will migrate the data, security and network settings to a new and modern target via the SMB protocol. SMS also takes over the identity of the old server entirely.
SR was first released as a technology for Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition. It enables synchronous and asynchronous block replication of volumes between servers or clusters for recovery in case of disaster.
SR also lets users create stretch failover clusters that keep all nodes synced while spanning two sites. Windows Server 2019 brings improvements for SR that you can also check out on Microsoft’s notes.
Known issues included in Windows Server 2019 Preview Build 17639
- During an in-place OS upgrade, Active Directory Domain Controllers might not be upgraded properly. This means that you should consider backing up any AD DCs before performing any in-place OS update.
- Editing or creating policies for AppLocker can trigger the MMC snap-in to crash.
- After updating the PS, the AppX database may have corrupted entries which can lead to issues for the components that are using those flawed entries.
Read the complete improvements and new features included in Windows Server 2019 preview build 17639.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows Server 2019 targets data center, new features to handle hybrid cloud
- Windows Server 2019 brings Windows Defender improvements for Insiders
- Windows 10 will support remote desktop access for multiple users
Nvidia GeForce Experience is a useful application, but many users reported error code 0x0001 while using Nvidia GeForce Experience. Today we’ll take a look at […]
IPad owners where left frustrated after Skype dropped support for earlier versions of iOS. When trying to install Skype on their iPads, an error message […]
Many Windows 10 users reported not being able to run WebGL supported websites. Error message WebGL is not supported pops up disallowing 2D and 3D […]