Some users have reported on Microsoft’s forum that they’re facing an issue with the App Store after they switched to a new version of Windows 10. Apparently, the App Store won’t load, or even shows an error message. But luckily, we have a couple of solutions here.
What to do if Microsoft Store won’t load after update
Solution 1: Solve the problem with PowerShell
The one way to solve the ‘not working App Store‘ problem is through PowerShell, but this method is only checked on Windows 8.1, so we’re not sure if it works properly on Windows 10 Technical Preview or the full version of Windows 10, as well. Anyway, here’s what you should do in order to fix the Store problem through PowerShell:
- Open PowerShell as Administrator: type powershell on the Start screen. The PowerShell icon will appear in the search results on the right. Right click it and choose “Run as Administrator”
- Add the following command into the PowerShell console:
Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRootWinStoreAppxManifest.XML
- Press Enter and wait until the command is finished (It should last a couple seconds)
- Reboot your PC
Solution 2: Fix the problem with Command Prompt
If somehow the PowerShell solution didn’t help, you will need to enter a few command lines in the Command Prompt, and your problems with App Store will probably be solved. Just follow these steps:
- Go to Search and type cmd
- Right click on Command Prompt and open it as Administrator
- In the Command Prompt, copy the following line: powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRootWinStoreAppxManifest.xml
- Hit Enter.
- Now in the same Administrator Command Prompt add: start “” “ms-windows-store:”
- Press Enter again
Solution 3: Additional solutions
We already covered Windows Store App issues extensively on this website. We published quite a few troubleshooting guides to help you get the app up and running after installing the latest Windows 10 updates.
So, if these two quick solutions failed to fix the problem, you need to use some more advanced troubleshooting methods. We already compiled exhaustive solution lists for this issue and you can find them in the guides below:
- Fix: Windows Store Won’t Open in Windows 10
- Windows 10 Apps Won’t Open: Full Guide to Fix
- Full Fix: Windows Store not Loading in Windows 10
You should be able to run your App Store without any problems after applying one of these solutions. But if you have some comments, suggestions, or something just doesn’t work for you, feel free to express yourself in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in February 2015 and was revamped and updated in October 2018 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.