How to fix Winload.exe issues in Windows 10, 8, 8.1
Are you having problems with your Windows 8, 8.1, Windows 10 OS? If you can’t properly boot your device or if you are noticing issues with the winload.exe protocol (winload.exe is missing or winload.exe is corrupt) then I recommend you to use the troubleshooting steps from below in order to address these problems with ease.
Winload.exe is in fact what we know as Windows Boot Loader, a small program in built on the Windows 8 / Windows 8.1/Windows 10 system. Winload.exe is initiated by another protocol, BOOTMGR which is the boot manager featured in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista.
Now, winload.exe will load some files from Windows, files that are quite important for your device. Because of that, if winload.exe is corrupt or missing you will not be able to properly use your Windows 8 / Windows 8.1/Windows 10 based tablet, laptop or desktop.
So, due to same reasons, you should use the troubleshooting solution from below in order to safely fix this problem.
How to fix Winload.exe in Windows 8 and Windows 10
1. Use Startup Repair
For being able to fix winload.exe you need to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data protocol, dubbed as BCD. This protocol is telling to your Windows device how to start the boot sequence and contains essential boot configuration options. You can rebuild BCD by using the following steps:
- Make sure you can use your Windows 8 / Windows 8.1/ Windows 10 installer DVD.
- So, insert the bootable DVD on your device and restart the PC.
- When prompted press “any key” in order to boot from DVD.
- Wait while the Windows installation files are being uploaded.
- Then from the main menu of your installer disk choose “Troubleshoot”.
- Up next from the System Recovery Options select “Command Prompt”.
- A cmd window will be displayed on your screen; there type “bootrec /rebuildbcd” and press enter from your keyboard.
- Wait while the command is being executed.
- Then on cmd type “exit” and press enter.
- Reject the DVD and reboot your Windows 8 / Windows 8.1/ Windows 10 device as you are done.
But if you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
2. Remove the Windows.old folder
The role of this folder is to keep your previous Windows installation files, allowing you to restore it. Here’s how to remove the Windows.old folder:
1. Type Disk Cleanup > select your C drive > select Clean up system files
2. Wait for the utility to calculate how much space it can free up > on the new windows, click on the “More options” tab
3. Go to System Restores and Shadow copies > hit Clean up
3. Reinstall Windows 10
In the two solutions listed above didn’t help you fix Winload.exe bugs on Windows 10, try reinstalling the OS. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to reinstall Windows 10 on your computer.
That’s it: you have resolved the winload.exe problem from your Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10 device. If you need further Windows 8, 1- tips or troubleshooting solutions, don’t hesitate and use our tutorials, or use the comments filed from below for sharing your questions with our team.
If you’ve got additional tips and suggestions on how to fix Winload.exe issues in Windows 10, you can list them in the comments below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2014 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Computer keeps rebooting and freezing
- Fix: Laptop Won’t Shutdown in Windows 10
- Microsoft won’t automatically install Windows 10 on your PC
Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 at the beginning of 2020. Then the software giant will stop releasing patch updates for Win 7. As such, […]
In the past, if you wanted to watch a movie at home, you had to use a clunky DVD player and the TV you had […]
It seems like 2019 is going to be a busy year for the Surface team and Microsoft. The tech giant has the most interesting update […]