- Windows 10 is highly optimized to support all peripherals and built-in devices, including the microphone.
- If you have issues with your microphone, follow the troubleshooting steps written below.
- More guides like this one can also be found in our dedicated Microphone Issues Hub.
- Even more fix guides are available on our Windows 10 Fix page.
Some users have discussed a Wizard could not start a microphone error on Microsoft’s support forum. When some users click Set up microphone in Windows, a The Wizard could not start microphone error message pops up.
Consequently, users can’t utilize the Microphone Setup Wizard when that issue arises.
How can I fix the Wizard could not start microphone error?
1. Reinstall the microphone driver
Alternatively, you could try reinstalling the microphone driver.
- To do so, launch Run with the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Type devmgmt.msc in the Open box and click OK to open Device Manager.
- Double-click Audio inputs and outputs to expand devices for that category.
- Right-click the microphone listed there and select Uninstall device.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling the driver for the microphone.
- After restarting, Windows will initiate an installation service to reinstall a microphone driver.
Alternatively, you could use a dedicated driver updater and fixer like DriverFix, as this method is much faster, much more reliable, and requires less input on your behalf.
SImple download and install it, let it run, and it will scan your hardware for old, broken, or missing drivers all by itself.
It will then install them for you, and all you need to do is finish up by restarting the PC.
DriverFixOld, broken or missing microphone drivers are the root of most device-related issues. Fix them today with DriverFix!
2. Run the Recording Audio troubleshooter
- Press Start
- Type troubleshoot in the Type here to search box.
- Click Troubleshoot settings in the search utility to open Settings as in the snapshot directly below.
- Select the Recording Audio troubleshooter in Settings, and click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Then select the Microphone option.
- Click the Next button.
- Click Apply Fix if the troubleshooter provides resolution.
3. Turn on Allow apps to access your microphone
- To do that, open Windows’ search box.
- Type in microphone as the search keyword.
- Click Microphone privacy settings to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Toggle the Allow apps to access your microphone option on if it’s off.
- Thereafter, restart Windows.
Turning on the Allow apps to access your microphone setting is among the most widely confirmed fixes for the Wizard could not start microphone error.
4. Check if the microphone is enabled
- To do that, right-click the Speakers icon and select Open sound settings.
- Scroll down to Related Settings.
- Click Sound Control Panel to open the Sound window.
- Select the Recording tab shown directly below.
- Right-click the microphone you need enabled and select Enable.
- Press the Set as default button to change the selected microphone to be the default one.
- Click the Apply option.
- Click OK to exit the Sound window.
A lot of users have confirmed those resolutions to fix the Wizard could not start microphone error. With the error fixed, you can configure your microphone with Microphone Setup Wizard.
FAQ: Learn more about Windows 10 microphones
- Does Windows 10 have a built-in microphone?
Yes, as long as your device has a microphone, then Windows 10 will also have the necessary driver for it. However, a built-in microphone can’t be compared to professional microphones in terms of quality.
- Can my browser access my microphone?
Yes, many VoIP apps that have web clients will only work if you allow your browser to access your microphone.
- Does my PC have a built-in microphone?
If your computer has an external or internal microphone, it is listed in the Recording tab of your Control Panel.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2020 and has been since revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.