- It can happen that the microphone is not working after installing Windows 10 updates.
- In this article, we will see how you can fix this, so keep on reading.
- We covered even more common issues in our Windows 10 Hub as well, so don't forget to have a look.
- In our dedicated How-To section you will find more useful articles, so check it out.
The free upgrade for Windows 10 was available to everyone at one point. This gift did not come with no strings attached. The upgrade disabled microphone in PCs across the world.
Some users will get frustrated easily and go out to buy an external sound card but for those users who would like to troubleshoot the issue take a look at the following solutions.
How can I re-enable the microphone on Windows 10?
1. Enable the microphone from the Device Manager
- Access the Winx Menu by simultaneously pressing the Windows+X key.
- Select Device Manager from the list.
- Click on Sound Video and Game Controllers.
- Click on the sound card that is currently installed on the PC.
- Right click and choose Enable.
- Restart the computer to finish the process.
Note: If there is a yellow warning icon beside the name of the sound controller, the drivers for that controller are either damaged or uninstalled.
2. Use a third-party software
It can be the case that the problem with the microphone occurs because of some kind of issues with the microphone drivers. In order to fix this, we recommend that you use a dedicated tool.
Such a tool will easily scan your PC for missing and out-of-date device drivers and automatically update them.
Due to its incorporated library, you can rest assured that you will get the latest version of the drivers, all you need to make sure is your device is connected to the Internet.
Most of the time, the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system.There are key differences between a generic driver and a manufacturer’s driver.Searching for the right driver version for each of your hardware components can become tedious. That’s why an automated assistant can help you find and update your system with the correct drivers every time, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC at risk.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Enable microphone from the Sound Settings
- At the bottom right corner of the windows menu Right Click on the Sound Settings Icon.
- Scroll up and select Recording Devices.
- Click on Recording.
- If there are devices listed Right Click on the desired device.
- Choose enable.
- Right Click anywhere in the screen and select Show Disabled Devices
- Select the microphone from the generated list.
- Click on Properties.
- Under Device Usage select Use this Device (Enable).
- Click on Apply and OK.
4. Enable the microphone from Windows Settings
- Access Windows Settings by simultaneously pressing the Windows Key and I.
- Click on Privacy.
- On the left menu choose Microphone.
- Under Let apps use my microphone ensure that the indicator is set to On.
If these solutions do not work to resolve the issues with the microphone there may be damage to the computer’s hardware.
Hardware issues can be resolved by buying external components or having new internal components installed.
Buying external components to resolve this issue may be the inexpensive way to fix the issue. Resolving sound issues can take a few restarts and re-installations.
Be sure to exhaust all options before buying new hardware.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to check them out.