Re-enable microphone in Windows 10: Here are the steps to follow
After installing Windows 10, the microphone can be disabled. If this happens, there are a few things you can troubleshoot before going out and buying an external or internal sound card. Take a look at the following solutions.
The free upgrade for Windows 10 was available to everyone at one point. This gift did not come with no strings attached. The upgrade disabled microphone in PCs across the world. Some users will get frustrated easily and go out to buy an external sound card but for those users who would like to troubleshoot the issue take a look at the following solutions.
How to re-enable microphone on Windows 10
Enable the microphone from the Device Manager
Microphone can be turned on with Windows tools. To do this access the Device Manager in Windows by following these steps:
- Access the Winx Menu by simultaneously pressing the Windows key and X simultaneously
- Select Device Manager from the list
- Once the Device Manager has opened click on Sound Video and Game Controllers
- Click on the sound card that is currently installed in the PC
- Right click and choose Enable
- Restart the computer to finish the process
Once the computer has restarted the drivers for the sound card should reinstall and enable the microphone to work properly. If there is a yellow warning icon beside the name of the sound controller the drivers for that controller are either damaged or uninstalled. If this is the case uninstall the device and restart the computer. The controller will automatically re-install the audio controller.
Enable microphone from the Sound Settings
The sound settings icon holds more than just the power to adjust the sound in your PC. To enable the microphone from the sound settings, perform the following tasks:
- At the bottom right corner of the windows menu Right Click on the Sound Settings Icon
- Scroll up and select Recording Devices
- Click on Recording
- If there are devices listed Right Click on the desired device
- Choose enable
- If you don’t see the installed microphone this is an indication that the microphone is disabled Right Click anywhere in the screen and select Show Disabled Devices
- Select the microphone from the generated list
- Click on Properties
- At the bottom of the window under Device Usage use the drop-down list to select Use this Device (Enable)
- Click on Apply
- Click on OK
Ensure that the selected device is set to default. The green check mark outlined by a circle is the indicating symbol that the device is default.
Enable the microphone from Windows Settings
Settings in Windows get auto-changed all of the time. To go in and change the settings that allow the PC to access the microphone, complete the following steps:
- Access Windows Settings by simultaneously pressing the Windows Key and I
- Click on Privacy
- On the left menu choose Microphone
- In the microphone settings under Let apps use my microphone ensure that the indicator is set to On
- If this indicator is set to Off switch it back on by clicking on the icon and moving it to the other side of the colored portion.
If these solutions do not work to resolve the issues with the microphone there may be damage to the computer’s hardware. Hardware issues can be resolved by buying external components or having new internal components installed. Buying external components to resolve this issue may be the inexpensive way to fix the issue. Resolving sound issues can take a few restarts and re-installations. Be sure to exhaust all options before buying new hardware.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- The 5 best 360° USB microphones for exceptional sound
- 6 best microphones for Cortana
- MiC 96k is a new USB microphone for Windows 10
What Android emulator is the best for my Windows PC? Bluestacks MeMu Nox Remix OS Player Droid4X AMIDuOS Windroy Genymotion Xamarin Android Player Andy We’re […]
Recently, a security researcher @SandboxEscaper disclosed in a tweet which has been deleted (the account also has been removed), that the task scheduler is vulnerable […]
Microsoft may be developing a new wireless charging system called “Ultrafast’” for its devices, if a newly discovered patent gets approved for mass production. This […]