- Microsoft Word is one of the most used applications from the Microsoft Office suite.
- In case you didn’t know, you can use Word in your web browser, and in today’s article, we’re going to show you how to do that.
- Also, discover how to switch to Dark Mode in Word's online editor.
In order to create Word documents, you don’t have to use Microsoft Office. In fact, you can easily create Word documents in your web browser.
Microsoft offers a web version of most of the Office apps for enhanced accessibility and accessing these is incredibly simple.
In today’s article, we’re going to show you all the ways to access Word in a browser.
Word Online is available in all web browsers, but for the best results, you might want to use Opera One. The browser is light on your resources, thus allowing you to multitask easily.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
Even more, can easily search for open tabs or even organize your tabs into workspaces and tab islands. Plus, the browser has unique features such as an integrated AI and modular AI-ready design if you want to integrate other AI technologies.
Opera OneAvailable for all platforms and devices with quick access to Word Online.
How can I access Word documents offline?
You can’t access the web version of Office or Microsoft Word offline because it’s not developed to accessed without an Internet connection. The files here are synced to OneDrive and are automatically updated.
Though, you can download a document from from the Word Online Editor, and use the Microsoft Word app installed on the computer to access and edit the documents.
Also, with the right settings in place, your One Drive files can be accessed from the dedicated folder on the computer, even when not connected to the Internet. The changes you make to these will be automatically update once an Internet connection is established.
Is Word in browser free?
Yes, the Microsoft word in browser, or all the Office applications for that matter, are free. You can simply log in to the Office365 website, and use these.
Also, since these are all web applications, they would work just as well on any web browser or operating system. But, we would recommend using Opera One for the best performance.
How do I get Word on my browser?
1. Use Word Online
- Go to the Word Online website.
- Log in with your Microsoft account.
- Select New blank document.
- Now you can create your document just like in regular Word.
Bear in mind that there are certain differences between Word Online and the desktop version of Word, but basic users most likely won’t even notice them.
2. Use Word Online extension
- Go to the Office extension page, and click on the Add to Chrome button.
- Click on Add extension to confirm.
- After the extension is installed, click on it, select Sign in, and complete the process.
- Once done, select Office from the Extensions menu.
- Now, click on Word to open its online version.
That’s how you open Word in a browser using the extension. Though it does the exactly same thing, using the extension streamlines the whole process.
How do I turn Word into dark mode?
- Open the Word processor in browser, and click on the View menu.
- Now, click on the Dark Mode button to enable it.
- The online editor also allows changing the background, and can use the Switch Background button for that.
- To revert back to normal mode, again click on the Dark Mode button.
Using Word in a browser is incredibly simple, and you just need to use the dedicated extension or go to the Word Online website.
Also, find out what to do if the online Word editor is not working or responding.
Do share your experience and thoughts on using the online Word editor in the comments section below.