- Recording your guitar on your PC at home can be easily done with guitar recording software solutions
- Instead of wasting time tuning your guitar instead of playing, use guitar tuning software
- If you want to learn how to play the guitar, check out the best interactive tools for beginners
- Explore more awesome Guitar guides on our website!
Software solutions to create guitar tablature should be present on every music enthusiast’s computer. Such tools usually come with the ability to create guitar music sheets and the most commonly used symbols in tablature.
There are lots of programs that allow you to create guitar tabs and we gathered five of the best ones in order to make your choice easier. Check them all out and make an informed decision.
Power Tab Editor
Power Tab Editor is a tablature authoring program for any system running Windows.
Using it, you will be able to create guitar sheet music aka guitar tablature or bass tablature.
Here are the key features of Power Tab Editor:
- Provides chord names, chord diagrams, bends, rhythm slashes, harmonics and more
- Useful for beginners and aspiring musicians who want to learn how to play guitar
- Can be used with both electric and acoustic guitar players
- Creates, reads and plays guitar and bass tablature in the .ptb format
- Excellent for beginners and experienced guitarists to transcribe their music and guitar lessons
LilyPond is another useful software that provides music notation for everyone. This music engraving tool is devoted to creating the highest-quality sheet music.
Here are the key features of LilyPond:
- Brings the aesthetics of traditionally engraved music to computer printouts
- Perfect for users who want to learn how to play the guitar
- Free software, part of the GNU Project
- Great for classical music, modern music, complex notation, vocal music, lead sheets, orchestral projects, educational materials, and customized outputs
TablEdit is a tool for creating, editing, printing, and listening to tablature and sheet music for guitar and other stringent, fretted instruments.
Here are the key features of TablEdit:
- Designed by guitarists for guitarists
- Supports both tablature and standard notation, featuring instant conversion from one format to another
- A tabbed interface allow the opening of multiple TablEdit files at the same time
- Supports English, German, French, Japanese and Spanish as interface languages
- Provides virtually unlimited language support, with 17 available language patches
- Edit and print songs in multitrack mode
- Save an image of the printed output in a variety of graphics formats
- More features like effects, alternate tuning, note duration control, custom chord diagrams, and lyrics management
TablEdit is distinguished by its minimal sized and optimized code for loading and running.
Guitar Pro is ideal for creating, playing and sharing your tabs. The latest version comes with a wide range of features and enhancements.
Here are the key features of Guitar Pro:
- Edit your music scores and tablature for bass, guitar, and ukulele
- Create backing tracks for drums and piano
- User-friendly for musicians who want to compose music, improve their skills, or just play along
- Redesigned interface and better rendering of your scores
- New tools and audio improvements
Aria Maestosa is an open-source midi sequencer/editor. This tool comes with a few interesting and useful features for musicians and beginners.
Here are the key features of Aria Maestosa:
- Compose, edit and play MIDI files with just a few clicks
- Easy interface, even for PC users with no previous experience in software tools for writing guitar tabs
- The UI comes with score, guitar, keyboard, controller, and drum views
- Supports multiple languages, including Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, and Russian
Here’s where our list of the best five tools for creating guitar tablature comes to an end. Make sure to check out all these tools’ functionalities and features before you make your final pick. Have fun!
How do you write a guitar tab?
Check out the interactive guitar learning tools we selected since they can also teach you how to write guitar tabs.
Does MuseScore do tab?
Yes, MuseScore supports tabs. It actually has a video tutorial about tablature and drum notation you can check out online. Besides, MuseScore is one of the best tools to play music sheets.
How do you convert MIDI to tab?
Use one of the software solutions we mentioned above, like Aria Maestosa, to easily convert MIDI into tabs.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.