- Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing, group messaging, and online meetings solution.
- It is available for Windows, but it can also be downloaded as a smartphone app for both Android and iOS.
- This guide is just one of many that we have included in our dedicated Zoom hub, so make sure to visit that as well.
- For great articles on similar tools, check out our Teamwork page.
The annoying issue when Zoom video is not working is usually not a serious one, thankfully. When Zoom is unable to detect a camera, you don’t see it in Zoom settings.
Other times, Zoom detects your camera, but then the video box only displays a grey area, and there’s no output. These troubleshooting steps will help you fix this problem quickly.
Zoom meeting is not showing videos? Here’s the solution
1. Restart your computer
As with many software issues, when troubleshooting Zoom that is unable to detect a camera or video not working, an excellent first step is to reboot your computer.
What rebooting does is that it refreshes the system and fixes minor software conflicts that may be causing the problems. Therefore, when you experience Zoom video not working, restart your computer or do it manually.
Close the client and power off your machine. Wait for a couple of seconds for the computer to shut down completely, and then turn it back on. Test your Zoom video again if the video is now showing. If the issue persists, then continue with our troubleshooting guide.
2. Reinstall the Windows Zoom client
- Press the Windows key to open the Start menu.
- Scroll down the applications list on the Start menu and locate the Zoom folder, and then click it to reveal the Start Zoom icon.
- Next, right-click on the Start Zoom icon and hit Uninstall.
- A popup will appear asking you if you want to allow the app to make changes to your PC. Click OK to authorize the uninstallation.
- The uninstallation progress will show on your screen. Wait for it to complete.
- Finally, restart your computer to finish uninstalling Zoom and delete all components.
If restarting your computer does not fix the problem, and the Zoom meeting is not showing video still, then uninstall the Zoom Windows client and reinstall it on your system.
When your PC restarts, download and install Zoom again. Test it now to see if the reinstallation has solved your issue of Zoom video not working. If not, move on to the next troubleshooting step.
3. Close other applications that have access to your camera
Zoom may be unable to detect a camera if the webcam is currently engaged with a different program. Other programs such as Skype may be using the computer’s camera, and if this is the case, Zoom won’t be able to use the camera at the same time.
To see the apps that have access to your camera or are using it, press the Windows key and navigate to Settings > Privacy > Camera.
After reinstalling and restarting your computer, make sure that you close other applications that have access to the camera you wish to use with Zoom.
4. Update your camera driver to the latest version
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R.
- In the Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter to open Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, locate Imaging devices and click on it.
- Under Imaging devices, you should see your camera listed in the submenu. Right-click on it and select Update Driver.
- Next, click on Search automatically for updated driver software, and the system begins to scan your computer and the internet for an update of your camera driver.
- Following the scan, it updates the driver if it finds one.
If you have got to this point and still have no success in fixing your Zoom video not working, then one thing for sure is that the issue is neither from the Zoom client or your camera.
5. Unblock Zoom from the Windows 10 camera privacy settings
- Press the Windows key and click the Settings icon on the left-hand panel. > Privacy > Camera.
- Next, click on the Privacy settings.
- In the Privacy settings page, find and select Camera from the left panel to open the Camera privacy settings.
- Here, click Change under Camera access for this device.
- If it is disabled, toggle it on and continue to the next step.
- Finally, on this page, you will see a section titled Choose which apps can access your camera. On the list, locate Zoom and toggle it on to enable it.
As per the previous troubleshooting step, you may also want to disable the other applications and block their camera access, in case they are somehow making use of the camera in the background.
Zoom is a superb videoconferencing application, and if Zoom video is not working, it defeats the aim of using this platform unless, of course, you only want to use audio. The troubleshooting steps outlined on this page, if done correctly, will get you right back on track and repair this issue.
FAQ: Learn more about Zoom
- What platform is Zoom available on?
Zoom is currently available on Windows PC, Android, and iOS.
- Is Zoom free?
Zoom is free, although there are certain limitations. Zoom offers a full-featured Basic Plan for free with unlimited meetings., but they come with a 40 minutes time limit on meetings with three or more total participants.
- How do I download Zoom?
Go to Zoom’s website and access the Download Center > Download.