- Hardware changes are sometimes inevitable because wear and tear will happen after some time.
- When you change your PC's hardware, you may have trouble getting your product key to activate your copy of Windows.
- If this happens, you will need to find other ways to activate Windows such as the automated Telephone method.
If you’ve just installed Windows 10 on your computer or upgraded it from an older operating system, you might have encountered the 0xc004f050 Windows 10 activation error.
Even if you have used a legitimate product key to install Windows 10, this error message might still appear because Microsoft hasn’t recognized the new hardware configuration yet.
What causes the 0xc004f050 Windows 10 activation error?
The 0xc004f050 Windows 10 activation error can happen for a variety of reasons. Here are some of the most common causes:
- Hardware issues – If your computer has hardware issues, then it might not be able to transfer your Windows license from one PC to another.
- Server issues – It is possible that at the time of activation, Microsoft servers were busy because of some network issue. You’ll just have to try later.
- Virus/malware infections – Viruses and malware can interfere with the normal operation of your system and prevent proper communication between Microsoft and your PC.
- Unsupported license – There are risks of running an unlicensed version of Windows 10 that isn’t supported by Microsoft. This means you can’t complete the activation process.
- You have an OEM license – OEM licenses are typically tied to machines. Some Windows licenses can be transferred, and in others, you’ll get the Product key can’t be used in this copy of Windows error.
- The activation key is for a different edition – If you’re trying to use the product key for a different version of Windows, say Windows 10 home to pro, you may encounter this error.
How do I fix the 0xc004f050 Windows 10 activation error?
1. Run the Windows Activation troubleshooter
- Click on the Start menu and select Settings.
- Select Update & Security.
- Click on Activation and click on Troubleshoot.
- Click on I changed hardware on this device recently, then select Next.
- Type and enter the credentials associated with your Microsoft account.
- Mark the This is the device I’m using right now checkbox and click Activate.
2. Use the automated Telephone system
- Press Windows + R to open the Run window.
- Type slui 4 and hit Enter.
- In the Select your region window, select the country and click Next.
- Call one of the numbers displayed on the screen to get a Confirmation ID.
- Once you get the confirmation ID, enter it and click Activate Windows.
3. Clean install Windows
A clean installation is one of the best ways to fix the 0xc004f050 error. When you clean install Windows 10, all the files and settings will be removed from your computer, so you can start over with a fresh system.
The main benefit of a clean install is that it will remove all the glitches or bugs caused by outdated files, apps, or drivers on your computer. Be sure to back up all your files prior to a clean install.
And that’s how to solve the 0xc004f050 Windows 10 activation error. There are also other activation errors you may come across, and we’ve got you covered.
If it’s the Windows 10 activation error 0xc03f6506, we have a detailed guide on how to fix it, so don’t hesitate to check that out too.
We’d love to know of any other solution that may have worked for you but not mentioned here. Let us know in the comment section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.