- Running into a problem with a webpage caused Internet Explorer 11 to close and reopen the tab error preventing you from browsing.
- The error can occur due to faulty add-ons interfering with Internet Explorer and outdated IE 11 browser.
- Repairing Internet Explorer and updating the Windows OS on your PC can fix the issue.
Internet Explorer is one of the oldest browsers with lots of good features. Browsing with it on your PC allows you to surf the internet smoothly.
However, users report a problem with a webpage that caused IE 11 to close and reopen the tab without the user prompting it.
The issue with Internet Explorer closing and reopening tabs can occur due to many underlying problems with the browser. Some notable causes are:
- Network issues – Internet Explorer can run into several problems if the network is not stable. It causes the browser to not load or take a long time to load tabs. Also, network congestion on your PC can result in the browser closing and reopening tabs frequently.
- Faulty browser Add-ons – Add-ons help bring more features and tools into your browser. Sadly, they can become corrupt, causing problems with the browser’s performance. So, you may experience instability with your tabs if you have a malfunctioning add-on on your browser.
- Corrupt system files – If there’s a corrupt file on your PC, it may affect the activity of some apps including Internet Explorer. Corrupt system files may impede the browser’s access to the necessary resources on your PC, causing it to close and repo tabs or crash at will.
- Outdated Internet Explorer – An outdated browser can cause it to keep closing and reopening tabs due to the bugs infecting it. It means it can’t access the needed patches and updates for fixing bugs and adding new features.
Other factors may be responsible for the issue. Nonetheless, we’ll discuss what to do to get Internet Explorer working again.
Before trying any advanced troubleshooting steps, go through the following preliminary checks:
- Fix network issues on your PC.
- Turn off background apps running on your computer.
- Temporarily disable third-party antivirus software.
- Restart Windows in Safe Mode and check if the error persists.
If you can’t fix the problem, try the solutions below:
1. Run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter
- Left-click the Start button, type troubleshooting in the search bar, then open the troubleshooter from the results.
- Click View all, then select Internet Explorer Performance from the options available.
- Click the Advanced option and Apply repairs automatically to troubleshoot as repair Internet Explorer.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and wait for the process to complete.
Repairing Internet Explorer can fix the issues causing it to keep closing and reopening tabs.
2. Disable Add-ons in Internet Explorer
- Launch the Internet Explorer.
- Click Manage Add-ons on the Tool menu.
- Click on the add-on to disable and press the Disable button.
- Restart Internet Explorer and see if the error persists.
- If it persists, repeat steps 1-3 to disable other add-ons and enable the previously disabled one.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Disabling add-ons in Internet Explorer can stop the activities of the faulty add-on, preventing it from interfering with your tabs.
3. Run an SFC scan
- Left-click the Start button, type Command Prompt, and click the Run as administrator option.
- Click Yes on the User Account Control prompt.
- Type the following and press Enter:
- Restart your PC and check if the error persists.
An SFC scan will scan and find corrupt system files causing Internet Explorer to keep closing and reopening tabs. Check how to fix the run as administrator option if it’s not working on your PC.
4. Update Windows
- Press Windows + I keys to open the Windows Settings app.
- Click on Windows Update and tap on the Check for updates button. If there are any updates available, it will search for and install them.
Updating Windows will fix the bugs affecting your PC and improve compatibility issues that may cause the error.
Also, updating Windows OS will ensure you have the latest version of Internet Explorer 11 on your PC.
Read about fixing Windows not connecting to update service if the error occurs on your PC.
Also, users complain about running into Internet Explorer black screen on their computers.
In addition, you can read our article about Internet Explorer not connecting to the internet on Windows 11. Also, our readers can check how to fix Internet Explorer that keeps crashing and get it working again.
To conclude, you should easily fix the problem that caused IE 11 to close and reopen. You can tell us which of the solutions worked best for you in the comments section.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.