Full Fix: Acpi_bios_error error on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
Blue Screen of Death errors such as ACPI_BIOS_ERROR can be serious since they will restart your computer every time they appear. These types of errors can sometimes even prevent Windows 10 from starting, therefore it’s crucial that you know how to fix these types of errors.
How to fix ACPI_BIOS_ERROR BSOD error
Acpi_bios_error is a blue screen error, and just like any other BSOD error, it will force your PC to crash. Speaking of this problem, users reported the following issues:
- Acpi_bios_error Windows 10 install – This error can appear while trying to install Windows 10. If this happens, it’s advised to check your BIOS configuration and change a couple of settings before attempting to install Windows 10 again.
- Acpi_bios_error Windows 8, Windows 7 – Many users reported this error in both Windows 8 and Windows 7. Even if you’re not using Windows 10, you should be able to fix your problem by using one of our solutions.
- Acpi_bios_error Surface 2 – This issue can affect almost any Windows device and Surface is not an exception. If you have this problem on your Surface device, you might be able to fix it using the solutions from this article.
- Acpi bios error RAM – Most common hardware cause for blue screen errors is your RAM. If you have this problem on your PC, it’s advised to scan your RAM and check if it’s faulty. In addition, be sure to remove any overclock settings that you have applied to your RAM.
- Acpi bios error Toshiba, Asus, Acer, Sony Vaio, Dell, HP, Lenovo – This issue can affect PCs from any manufacturer. This problem can be related to your drivers, so you might have to update them or find and reinstall the problematic driver.
- Acpi_bios_error acpi.sys – This error message will sometimes give you a name of the file that caused the error. If that happens, you need to do a bit of research and find the driver or device that is associated with that file.
- Acpi bios error loop, blue screen – Since this is a blue screen error, sometimes it might force your PC into a restart loop. This can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix it by changing your BIOS settings.
Quick solution to fix various PC errors
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing BSOD errors in Windows 10
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues (requires upgrade).
Solution 1 – Update your drivers
Blue Screen of Death errors are quite often caused by outdated or incompatible drivers, and in order to fix these kinds of problems, it’s highly recommended that you update your drivers. Your operating system relies heavily on drivers in order to recognize and utilize your hardware, and if a certain driver is outdated, or not working properly, that will cause ACPI_BIOS_ERROR BSOD error and crash your PC.
To fix these types of problems, it’s important that you update all your drivers. Updating your drivers is fairly simple, and in order to do that, you just have to visit your hardware manufacturer and download the latest drivers for your device. If you don’t know which driver is causing the BSOD error, we advise you to update all drivers on your PC in order to fix this problem.
Updating your drivers is crucial for your system stability, and if you want to download the latest Windows 10 drivers, you can use this Driver Update software that will automatically update all necessary drivers for you.
Solution 2 – Remove your SSD and update your BIOS
A number of Samsung laptop owners reported that they cannot even boot to Windows 10 due ACPI_BIOS_ERROR BSOD error, and according to them, the only solution is to remove the SSD drive and restore Windows 10. To do that, follow these steps:
- Locate your SSD drive and disconnect it.
- Start your laptop and you should see Samsung prompt asking you to press F4 to start Recovery Mode.
- Press F4 and quickly reconnect your SSD drive.
- Choose the option to restore and wait for the process to complete.
- Run SW Update software and install the BIOS update.
We have to mention that installing BIOS is an advanced procedure, and you can cause permanent damage to your PC if you don’t perform it properly, so be sure to check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions.
Solution 3 – Enter BIOS and disable AHCI
Many users reported that they managed to fix ACPI_BIOS_ERROR error by entering BIOS and disabling AHCI. For detailed instructions on how to enter BIOS and how to disable AHCI be sure to check your motherboard manual.
Solution 4 – Set ACPI mode to S1 in BIOS
According to users, ACPI_BIOS_ERROR Blue Screen of Death error usually appears while waking up PC from Sleep Mode, and in order to fix this problem, you’ll have to set ACPI mode to S1 in BIOS. For detailed instructions on how to do that, we strongly advise that you check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions.
Solution 5 – Disable jumper JPME1 and reflash BIOS
Owners of X9DAI motherboard reported that disabling JPME1 jumper and reflashing the BIOS fixed this issue for them. This process is advanced, and if you don’t perform it correctly, you can permanently damage your motherboard, so be extremely careful. Once again, this solution apparently works with X9DAI motherboards, but if you’re using a different motherboard, you should probably skip this solution.
It’s important to mention that you need to power off your PC after you flash the BIOS in order to properly perform this step. As we already mentioned, this is an advanced procedure, therefore use extra caution.
Solution 6 – Uninstall Microsoft ACPI Compliant driver
Few users reported that uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control method battery driver fixed the ACPI_BIOS_ERROR BSOD error on certain laptops, so you might want to try it. To delete a driver on Windows 10, do the following:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu. Select Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager starts, locate Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control method battery, right click it and choose Uninstall.
- Click the Scan for hardware changes button and let Windows 10 install any new drivers.
- Restart your PC.
If you cannot access Windows 10 normally, you might have to perform these steps from Safe Mode. To enter Safe Mode do the following:
- Restart your PC during the boot sequence few times. This should start Automatic Repair.
- Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Startup and click the Restart button.
- Once your computer restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Press 5 or F5 to enter Safe Mode with Networking.
Solution 7 – Install Windows 10 in UEFI mode
Many users reported that they cannot install Windows 10 due to ACPI_BIOS_ERROR, but you can easily fix this problem by installing Windows 10 in UEFI mode. To do this, you’ll need a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it. You can easily create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it by using Media Creation Tool. To install Windows 10 in UEFI mode, do the following:
- Connect bootable USB flash drive to your PC and restart your computer.
- While your computer boots press F11 to select a boot device. Bear in mind that your motherboard might be using a different key, so be sure to check motherboard manual for detailed instructions.
- You should see a list of options. Select UEFI: Your USB Flash Drive.
- Follow the instructions to complete Windows 10 setup.
Solution 8 – Remove overclock settings
Many users tend to use overclocking software in order to get better performance from their hardware, but overclocking can cause all sorts of issues, such as ACPI_BIOS_ERROR BSOD error for example. If you have any overclock settings, we urge you to remove them and check if that fixes the error. Users reported that after changing the RAM frequency to the default value in BIOS the ACPI_BIOS_ERROR error was resolved, so be sure to try that.
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we also recommend you to download this tool to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure. It will also optimize your PC for maximum performance.
ACPI_BIOS_ERROR Blue Screen of Death is often caused by BIOS settings or firmware issues, but you can easily fix this error by using one of our solutions.
Solution 9 – Reset BIOS to default
If you’re unable to access Windows due to ACPI_BIOS_ERROR message, the problem is most likely your BIOS configuration. To fix the issue, you might have to reset your BIOS to default. This is rather simple, and in order to do it, you just need to enter BIOS and choose Restore defaults option. After doing that, your BIOS settings will revert to default.
You can also reset your BIOS by removing the battery on your motherboard. To do that, you need to shut down your PC and unplug it from the outlet. Now open your computer case and locate the battery on your motherboard. Carefully remove the battery and wait for a couple of minutes. After doing that, insert the battery back to your motherboard and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 10 – Change OS image ID in BIOS
If you’re having ACPI_BIOS_ERROR on your PC, the issue might be your BIOS settings. Sometimes certain settings can interfere with your system and that can cause this and other issues to appear. To fix the problem, you need to enter BIOS and change a single setting. To do that, follow these steps:
- Enter your BIOS. To see how to do that, be sure to check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions. In most cases, you need to press a certain key such as F2 or Del during the boot sequence.
- Once you enter BIOS, navigate to Advanced > System Component.
- Now set OS image ID to Windows.
Save changes and restart your PC. Keep in mind that not all computers have this option available, and if you don’t have this option available in BIOS, then this solution doesn’t apply to you.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: PHASE1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error on Windows 10
- Fix: SYMBOLIC_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error on Windows 10
- Fix: BSOD Caused by ‘Kernel Auto Boost Lock Acquisition With Raised IRQL’
- Fix: PANIC_STACK_SWITCH error on Windows 10
- Fix: HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error on Windows 10
Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 users will no longer be able to use the Groove Music app to stream music from OneDrive. The decision will impact Windows […]
The main question we look forward to answering today is ”How to delete the undeletable folder or file in Windows?”. The common error or bug […]
After signing up for a subscription to Netflix, you let yourself get carried away by the excitement and start episodes on episodes. You leave many […]