- Active Directory is a proprietary directory service designed by Microsoft to run on Windows Server.
- The Active Directory Security tools are essential to keep it safe from external and internal threats that can result in data loss.
- ADAudit Plus and other security tools can protect and maintain compliance with the Active Directory and its components.
Active Directory stores information about objects on the network, making it available for administrators and users to find and use. Sadly, hackers are infiltrating the Active Directory, attacking the network it controls. Due to the increasing incidence, the need for Active Directory security tools is essential.
However, our readers can check our article about the best Open Source Network Monitoring tools they can use.
Active Directory (AD) is not a security tool as most users think it is. It is Microsoft’s proprietary directory service designed to run on Windows Server.
It allows administrators to control remote computers, manage permissions, and access network resources.
However, there are third-party tools that organizations can employ to make it easier and faster to audit and secure the Active Directory. Also, they can help with monitoring, managing, and reporting on the AD.
Check our guide on what to do if Windows Server Manager is not opening on your PC.
Many Active Directory security tools are available for securing AD, but not all are reliable. Hence, we’ll take you through our pick of the best and most reliable Active Directory security tools to use.
ADAudit Plus – Best for Logon active tracking
ADAudit Plus is the number one choice of Active Directory security tool because of its ability to secure Windows servers. It protects its ecosystem and keeps it compliant by providing comprehensive visibility into all activities.
Furthermore, some notable features of the ADAudit Plus security tool are:
- Monitors logins by tracking user logon activities at all times; also, it audits the login processes, such as login failure, success, and other data related to the login history
- Uses a UBA (User Behavior Analytics)-driven change auditor to secure the Active Directory and keep the Windows Servers ecosystem compliant. It sends instant alerts whenever there’s a threat
- Manages and tracks the changes in the operating system, programs, and other local files on the PC; it guarantees the integrity of the components of the system
- Offers a real-time change notification service that tells who made a change and when it was made and specifies where in your Windows Server environment
- Audits privileged use, limiting access to only admins and privileged users
Check all the logon activities and manage all the failed attempts on your endpoints quickly.
Semperis Directory Services Protector – For Active Directory settings retrieval
Semperis Directory Services Protector is a Windows and Azure Active Directory Service security tool. It secures the Active Directory by preventing access to the Active Directory and monitors the login activities.
More so, some distinctive features of the Directory Services Protector (DSP) by Semperis are:
- Notifies the admin of any changes or activities that bypass security logs and tracks login successfully and failed attempts on the Server
- Blocks unauthorized access to the Active Directory and analyzes lockouts; also, it actively monitors the time spent by local users and groups
- Semperis DSP offers a detailed retrieval of Active Directory settings, allowing you to reuse them on your current Server
- It helps produce reports of modifications and aid in locating and modifying AD attributes
- It can find and remove unwanted Active Directories
Varonis For Active Directory – Best in communicating risks
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Varonis For Active Directory is a security software that helps you to fish out and instantly fix Active Directory loopholes that hackers can exploit. It enforces strict security that prevents unauthorized access that may result in data loss.
Furthermore, some notable features of the Varonis For Active Directory security tool are:
- Varonis has a fast notification system that reports everything about the Active Directory, especially security-threatening ones
- Flags risky Active Directory accounts that attackers may exploit, such as admin accounts with Service Principal Names (SPN) computer accounts doubling as administrator accounts and detecting non-expiring password accounts
- Detects and fixes misconfigurations in the Active Directory and provides a comprehensive security search for changes on the AD
- Offers a consistent auditing service and reports any potential threat in the process
- Sends alerts regarding behavior anomalies and malicious actions like credential stuffing, abnormal service account data access, and unauthorized changes to the Group Policy
Tenable One security tool – Best for cloud-based threat detection
Tenable One is a fully integrated cloud-based security platform. It uses the exposure management approach to ensure Taft all activities across your Server are visible and secure. Also, it offers an accurate view of your organization’s cyber risks and ways to curb them.
The platform comes with many features that make it more secure than others. Some features are:
- Takes an analytics-led approach to exposure management, which helps with vulnerability detection and management. Also, it helps with providing remediation guidance to fix the vulnerabilities
- Offers real-time Active Directory and cloud security, protecting your organization and its online businesses
- There is a web application security framework for setting up web app scans and delivering a comprehensive assessment
- Responds to Active Directory attacks by analyzing the kill chain of threats such as DCShadow, DCSync, and brute force
- Detects any changes to the Active Directory, provides auditing for the activities, and reports the changes to the proper authorities
Netwrix StealthAUDIT – Includes great monitoring features
Netwrix StealthAUDIT is an Active Directory security tool for mitigating threats and risks around sensitive data.
It automatically collects and analyzes the data needed to reduce attacks, intrusion, and other security vulnerabilities.
However, some notable features you can utilize in the Netwrix StealthAUDIT are:
- Detects threats and alerts the admin about attacks against sensitive data
- Reduces the risk of data loss and a breach by reducing access to a minimum and allocating privileges to a few users
- It has more than 40 built-in data collection modules that cover cloud-based and on-premise platforms
There are other tools users can opt-in for when considering an Active Directory security tool. Our readers may be interested in our article about the best auditing software for their devices.
Also, you can read about how to demote a dominant controller on Windows Servers in a simple way.
Let us know your pick in the comments area below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.