- AdobeGCClient.exe is the process that checks for tampering of Adobe program files, but sometimes it messes with the launching of your favorite Adobe programs.
- If you came across this issue, don't worry. Go through the solutions listed below and have it fixed in no time.
- Check out our Fix page to find complete troubleshooting guides that you need to quickly resolve the PC errors.
- Don't forget to bookmark our Adobe Troubleshooting Hub and keep your programs in a top-notch condition at all times.
AdobeGCClient.exe (Adobe Genuine Copy Validation Client Application) is a process that checks for pirated Adobe software and tampering of Adobe program files.
The AdobeGCClient.exe system error is one that some Adobe software users have encountered just after starting Windows or when launching Adobe programs.
When the system error occurs, an AdobeGCClient.exe error message window states The program can’t start because adobe_caps.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
Or the same error message window can also state that an MSVCP140.dll is missing.
The AdobeGCClient.exe error message highlights that this issue is about a missing DLL file. It can be due to Adobe software updates that depend on the DLL file included in the error message.
If something is up with the required DLL for the updates, the AdobeGCClient.exe error message window pops up. These are a few potential fixes for the AdobeGCClient system error.
How can I fix the AdobeGCClient.exe system error?
1. Scan for malware
First, you have to run an anti-virus scan – in this case, everything has to do with malware. Trojans might have corrupted, maybe even deleted, the DLL stated in the error message.
Malwarebytes software is a malware scanner that removes malicious files and other viruses from your hard drive thanks to its sophisticated technology.
The spyware scanner tool searches and disinfects infected files and checks the main memory and the Windows registry database of your PC for infectious software that is already active. It also searches for digital adware within ZIP, RAR, 7z or CAB archives.
Malwarebytes loads current detection patterns (signatures) from the Internet at the click of a mouse. Malware such as worms, Trojans, rogue files, spyware or bots are detected and removed.
MalwareBytesGet rid of malicious files and other malware from your hard drive in no time with Malwarebytes!
2. Update Adobe software
Adobe updates can fix numerous issues for Adobe’s software. Thus, it might also be worth checking updates.
For example, if the Adobegcclient.exe error occurs when you launch Adobe Acrobat, you can check for updates by clicking Help and Check for Updates in the software.
3. Reinstall Adobe software
The Adobegcclient.exe dialog box window suggests that you Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. So if the issue occurs for a specific Adobe application, reinstalling the software might be a potential fix.
You can uninstall the software more thoroughly with a third-party uninstaller like IoBit Uninstaller, that erases leftover registry entries.
IObit Uninstaller works in three simple steps: first a restore point for Windows is created. Then the uninstall routine of the program is used to remove it.
Finally, the tool scans the registry via deep scan and also deletes any remaining entries there.
You only have to select the Adobe software to remove and the uninstaller will scan for and list leftover registry entries. Then you have to close the tool and you can now reinstall the Adobe software.
IoBit UninstallerYou can completely remove unwanted programs and Windows 10 applications with IoBit Uninstaller.
4. Install Microsoft C++ Redistributable
- Open Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable in your browser.
- Click the Download button.
- Select vc_redist.x64.exe (64-bit) for 64-bit Windows or vc_redist.x86.exe (32-bit) for 32-bit Windows.
- Install both the 32-bit and 64-bit C++ Redistributable packages, but you can only select to download one at a time.
- Press the Next button to save the Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015 installer to Windows.
- Launch the Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015 installer to add the package to Windows.
- If C++ Redistributable 2015 is already installed, you can also select to repair it via the Control Panel.
- Press the Win key + R hotkey, enter appwiz.cpl and click OK to open.
- Select C++ Redistributable 2015 and press the Change button to open.
- Press the Repair button on the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 window.
5. Run a System File Checker scan
- Press the Cortana taskbar button to open that app‘s search box.
- Enter cmd in the search box, and then right-click Command Prompt and select Administrator.
- Enter in the Command Prompt:
- Press the Return key.
- Input sfc /scannow in the Prompt’s window, and press the Enter key.
- The scan could take up to half an hour, and when it’s done the SFC tool might state, Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Restart Windows if the SFC does repair some files.
6. Edit the Adobegcclient.exe file title
- Press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open Run.
- Enter this path in Run‘s text box:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AdobeGCClient
- Then press the OK button to open that folder in File Explorer.
- Now right-click the Adobegcclient file and select the Rename option on the context menu.
- Enter AdobeGCClient.old as the new file title, and press the Return key.
- A dialog box window will then open requesting further confirmation to alter the file extension. Press the Yes button to confirm.
The above resolutions will probably fix the Adobegcclient.exe system error. Let us know what method worked for you in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about AdobeGCClient.exe and Adobe updates
- What is Adobe genuine launcher exe?
AdobeGCClient.exe is an executable file corresponding to the Adobe Genuine Copy Validation Client Application process. It usually checks for pirated software.
- How do I get rid of AdobeGCClient EXE?
In order to fix this error, you can use the SFC tool to check for missing or corrupted files or apply the solutions detailed in the above article.
- How do I disable Adobe Updater Startup Utility?
Adobe Updater checks for software updates and automatically downloads them if found. If you no longer wish to have this option, then go to Edit > Preferences > Updater.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.