Troubleshoot Bitdefender update errors
- Make sure Bitdefender update has been properly set up
- Verify that Bitdefender isn’t being blocked by the firewall
- Turn off other firewalls
- Verify that your Proxy settings are properly set up
- Manually Update Bitdefender
- Uninstall and Reinstall Bitdefender
- Upgrade to a newer version
- Contact Bitdefender’s support
Now, a lot of times users have complained of encountering various Bitdefender update errors forcing them to abandon the update process and risking their PCs.
The good news is that you don’t have to give up since most of these errors are easy to fix. Here is how to maneuver around various Bitdefender update errors.
What to do if Bitdefender update fails with error code
Fix 1: Make sure Bitdefender update has been properly set up>
This applies for some Bitdefender versions, especially the older ones such as Bitdefender 2017. Note that for the latest editions, Bitdefender auto update file location is configured automatically during installation.
- Open your Bitdefender main window.
- Click on the gear/Settings
- Click on the Bitdefender’s Update tab and make sure it indicates the correct update location as shown…
Users with the latest versions can go direct to check potential firewall issues as enumerated in Fix 2.
Fix 2: Verify that Bitdefender isn’t being blocked by the firewall
Bitdefender comes with its own built-in powerful firewall and that’s should be your next stop if Bitdefender has reported an update error. Here is how to check if the firewall is set and running right:
- Click on Bitdefender’s Protection
- Go to the Firewall module then click on the gear/settings icon to confirm that the firewall is okay.
- The next edit is on the stealth mode. Still, in the firewall tab, click the edit Stealth settings and set it to off
NOTE: The Firewall module is not available in the Bitdefender Antivirus Plus edition.
Fix 3: Turn off other firewalls
Well, in some cases, the problem fails to go away even after implementing the first two recommendations so it’s time to turn our attention to other Firewall software.
And here the remedy is straightforward: Just turn off or uninstall any other Firewall software (Including Windows own Firewall) and see if you’ll get lucky.
Fix 4: Verify that your proxy settings are properly set up
If you use a proxy to connect to the Internet, you must have properly configured Bitdefender with the correct proxy settings for the Bitdefender program updates to work.
In general, Bitdefender antivirus should automatically detect and import the existing proxy server settings from your system. But there is no guarantee that it will always do this so sometimes a manual configuration is necessary.
Follow these steps to setup your proxy settings:
- Open the normal Bitdefender window.
- Click on the gear/settings icon to access the settings options.
- Select the shown advanced tab.
- On proxy usage option, click on the on/off switch to turn on the proxy.
- Now click on the manage proxies hyperlink to specify how Bitdefender should access the required proxy settings.
- Click import proxy settings from the default browser to have Bitdefender automatically detect the current user’s proxy settings from the default browser. Here you might be required to re-enter your username and password to proceed. This is the easiest option route to take although it occasionally refuses to work meaning in you may be forced to specify the settings manually. You will proceed to step 7 to do it manually.
- Click custom proxy settings (to manually configure your proxy). Here is the information you will be asked for:
- Address– this is the IP address of your proxy server.
- Port– this is the port that Bitdefender will be using to connect to your proxy server.
- Username– this is the username that the proxy recognizes.
- Password– this is the password for the specified user account.
Bitdefender will now use the specified proxy settings to connect to the Internet for update purposes.
Fix 5: Manually update Bitdefender
Bitdefender releases its combined virus definitions (and scan engine updates) on a weekly basis (every Friday) in form of the weekly.exe application and you could still use it though this should everything else prove unsuccessful.
Here are the manual update process steps:
- First, download the weekly.exe file and save it on your local hard disk.
- Double-click the downloaded file to commence the setup wizard.
- Click next to run the programs/updates installation process.
- Select I acceptthe program terms and click Next.
- Click Install to start the installation.
- Click Finish to wind up the installation.
That’s all. Your Bitdefender should now be up to date.
Fix 6: Uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender
If you are not yet lucky, try uninstalling your BitDefender version then restart the computer.
- Use this link to uninstall the program.
- Reinstall your BitDefender version.
- Now attempt to update (if necessary).
Fix 7: Upgrade to a newer version
You can always upgrade to the newest version of Bitdefender. The process should be free as long as your subscription is still valid.
- Go to the website and download Bitdefender (Latest version)
- Install the download and see how it behaves.
NOTE: Run the trial version if your subscription is expired.
Fix 8: Contact Bitdefender’s support
Contacting Bitdefender’s highly professional technical support team could be the way to go if the said Bitdefender update errors still remain.
You need to open a ticket to do this. The technical team will then request for the exact error message which you can obtain as follows:
- Open the usual Bitdefender’s interface.
- Under the settings menu, click the Notifications
- Now click the critical tab to see the exact Bitdefender error message.
Let’s now tackle a specific Bitdefender update error.
Bitdefender Free Update Failed Error 2019
For the common Bitdefender error 2019, try these hacks:
Fix 1: Scan Your PC For Errors
- Click the start button.
- Then get into the search bar and type “exe” then press enter to search for the command prompt. Right click and choose run as administrator.
- Once the black command screen appears, type sfc/scannow and again press enter. The system will be scanned and healed of any errors hindering the update.
Fix 2: Free Up Sufficient Space
Option 1: Empty the Temp Folder
- Click the start button.
- Then get into the search bar and type %temp% then enter to search for the temporary files.
- Once the Temp folder opens, select (CTRL+A) to delete all the files here. This could create enough memory space for the update to be executed.
Option 2: Empty The Prefetch
- Click the start button.
- Then get into the search bar and type prefetch then press enter.
- Now delete all the files found in here (if any).
Fix 3: Manual update
You can as well try to update the Bitdefender virus definition files manually using the steps I highlighted earlier (download the weekly.exe file).
Wrapping It Up
Most of the Bitdefender Update errors are triggered by internet connectivity issues. For instance, your connection may have temporary failed, your proxy settings are wrong, or you have a firewall blocking an ongoing Bitdefender update.
Luckily, as you have seen, all these are problems you can easily beat using the above solutions. Try the above fixes and alert us (via the comments section) if you encounter further problems.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2019: The best affordable antivirus for Windows users
- Here’s the best antivirus for Opera browser
- SOLVED: Outlook error in the underlying security system